Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hysterio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Hey guys, I have an iMac which runs 10.5, and I was wondering, I love the look of vista, so is there a way to customize the looks of the computer to do this (Install a Vista theme, if you will)?

Thanks

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Hey guys, I have an iMac which runs 10.5, and I was wondering, I love the look of vista, so is there a way to customize the looks of the computer to do this (Install a Vista theme, if you will)?

Thanks

Thats funny

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
ditto! :confused:

Mac OS X has a beautiful theme that "wows" (pun intended) the consumer but is also very functional and classic allowing power users and professionals to get their work done.

Vista just has an eye candy theme that i got sick of after a while. this is why many businesses stick to XP.

just stick to the native OS X theme and youll love it. check out the Desktops thread to get some ideas on how to customise your desktop and check out MacThemes.net for some groovy themes.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
this is why many businesses stick to XP.

Yeah... I'm sure that's it. Never mind the fact that they don't want to get new computers or they don't want to risk not having their specialized software not function properly in Vista. It's the theme, obviously.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
WOW!!!!!:eek::confused:

The whole World is clamouring to get the Mac OS llok and we're getting the Vista look?!:confused:

Any ways, sorry but no one designs Vista themes for Mac simply because almost no one wants such a thing! http://www.interfacelift.com would be a place to look for though!

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
^ ok then smart guy… ONE of the reasons! i didnt actually say its the only reason.

And why would it be ONE of the reasons? Because the OS uses the video card to do the on-screen rendering on the GPU instead of the CPU (just like in Mac OS X)? Or is it solely the look, you know, the blur in the window borders, the shadows, the minimization, closing, and opening effects? Because it's not like any of that can be disabled... Oh wait. It can be. You can even have it look like Windows 2000 if you want.

The theme in an OS is hardly a reason as to why a company would consider or not consider using Vista. In fact, that's usually on the list of "things not the care about," since there are many more things to consider before switching 20+ computers over to a new OS (and depending on the company, it could be many more computers), such as the knowledge of Vista that your IT people have, software compatibility, hardware compatibility, whether it's worth it to spend the money, and probably hundreds of other small little things to consider before the look of the them would even come up.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
And why would it be ONE of the reasons? Because the OS uses the video card to do the on-screen rendering on the GPU instead of the CPU (just like in Mac OS X)? Or is it solely the look, you know, the blur in the window borders, the shadows, the minimization, closing, and opening effects? Because it's not like any of that can be disabled... Oh wait. It can be. You can even have it look like Windows 2000 if you want.

The theme in an OS is hardly a reason as to why a company would consider or not consider using Vista. In fact, that's usually on the list of "things not the care about," since there are many more things to consider before switching 20+ computers over to a new OS (and depending on the company, it could be many more computers), such as the knowledge of Vista that your IT people have, software compatibility, hardware compatibility, whether it's worth it to spend the money, and probably hundreds of other small little things to consider before the look of the them would even come up.

Obviously you don't work in IT; or a corporate IT environment to be more specific. I did BETA testing for Vista, and did a quick presentation on it at a previous employer. The audience was staff [Admin folks, office staff, etc.]. They all said "Oh wow, it looks different". "Why isn't application x in this place anymore?", Why did they change it?"

80% of questions were why the interface changed, and that it looked like it would make their jobs more difficult...
Never underestimate presentation, it does make a huge difference as to whether something is accepted or not.

In the end, they and top brass felt it was better to "wait and see", and if it became more excepted in industry before they reacted.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
my blood pressure gets to high for me to handle when i use vista. the animations are blocky, and look cheap.

10.5 is very well balanced in aninmation. vista just trys to hard.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Obviously you don't work in IT; or a corporate IT environment to be more specific.

Nope. I sure don't. I don't have the patience and it's definitely not something I want to do in life.

But the guy I was talking to said that the reason why businesses aren't going to Vista was due to the "eye candy," aka, Aero.

Unfortunately, I didn't get in on the Beta of Vista, but I did run Vista RC1 (missed out on RC2).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i sure hope one day people can ether give a solution or just say "not possible", rather than turn everything into a windows vs. OSX flame with no helpful information to OP.

Metuas

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
Honestly, I like the Vista look. Perhaps not as well as OS X, but that's why I have a MBP and not an HP, Dell, or Sony.

In answer to the OP:

You can make OS X look like Vista, I do think there's a theme, if you downgrade to Tiger, which has a program called ShapeShifter. It's shareware, but it allows you to completely customize the look of your OS X, far more than Apple allows. Unfortunately it isn't Leopard compatible yet, but it works great on Tiger.

Hysterio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Too bad
I used to have tiger on my Mac Mini before I got my new iMac
Any news if it will work soon on Leo?

James17

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007

Thanks

I think asking that was a mistake haha. You will only get the brunt of a lot of anti-vista comments since we're on a "very" pro-mac forum ONLY haha.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
I think asking that was a mistake haha. You will only get the brunt of a lot of anti-vista comments since we're on a "very" pro-mac forum ONLY haha.

I feel a little safer in this tiny little corner of the forum:p

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Obvious troll is obvious.
Oh, please! Comments like this get so cheap after a while. Somebody on a Mac forum can't like the way Vista looks? You seriously can not understand why anybody would like how Windows looks, works or behaves? A Mac, the operating system (Mac OS X) included, is not the be all end all for all people. Some people actually like Windows better than Mac OS X. It happens. If you don't believe or can't comprehend that fact, don't visit this part of Mac Forums. People like that are more likely to show themselves here.

Besides, I'm not sure who's more likely to be a troll: a person asking a pro-Windows-biased question on a Mac forum, or the person immediately calling that person a troll. Your call...

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
i sure hope one day people can ether give a solution or just say "not possible", rather than turn everything into a windows vs. OSX flame with no helpful information to OP.
I'm glad you said (wrote) it. Couldn't agree with you more. It's just so childish. :(

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I'm glad you said (wrote) it. Couldn't agree with you more. It's just so childish.

Frankly... considering its 'MACrumors' forum, this is possibly the only point of discussion, in this forum, in which I'll readily accept open flaming and biased povs in favor of Macs... lol!

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Unfortunately it's more difficult to try to skin Leopard. Be sure to always check if the software you find for skinning is specifically compatible with Leopard.

Here are some places where you may be able to find the theme you're looking for:
http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=vista+skin+for+leopard

I've personally found that if you change your background to the Vista default one, hide your dock, and then bring your widgets onto the desktop using some software (easy to find on google) it looks a lot like Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.