Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:21 PM   #1
NyMetsFan08
macrumors regular

Does Anyone Have An Idea When The Mac Mini Will See An Update?

Hey everyone!!! it is already August and I have heard no rumors at all about the Mac Mini being updated. The only rumor I heard about it was back in March 2008 stating that it will see a penryn processor that is it nothing since. I have been waiting and waiting and still nothing. Does anyone have an idea what may be going on and why it taking so long to see something happen to the Mac Mini. Thank you very much, all details are appreciated.
NyMetsFan08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Gosh, a thread about the next Mini update. We haven't seen one of those in a while.

Try a search, you'll find out that the next Mini will be released this Tuesday.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3
NyMetsFan08
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
Gosh, a thread about the next Mini update. We haven't seen one of those in a while.

I tried a search on it. There is still nothing. You could be right on the guess. Thank you.
NyMetsFan08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
AceFernalld
macrumors 6502a

Ha, he wasn't making a guess, he was being sarcastic. There have been fanboys wishing for a new Mac Mini every Tuesday for the past year Hopefully it will happen soon, but I just recommend getting an iMac.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post

Your info is completely inaccurate. The next Mac mini will be released next Tuesday.
ADent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:28 AM   #6
Aegelward
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFernalld View Post
Ha, he wasn't making a guess, he was being sarcastic. There have been fanboys wishing for a new Mac Mini every Tuesday for the past year Hopefully it will happen soon, but I just recommend getting an iMac.
Well, not all of us want to use a mini as a desktop computer, a fair few want to use it as a HTPC.

As it stands now the mini isn't that bad for HTPC purposes, but i imagine like me quite a few people are willing to spring for one when they feel there is a certain inevitability about an update... and don't want to feel that apple burn.

If this goes on a few more weeks my resolve may just crack and i will possibly grab the first available mini refurb.
Aegelward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Dmac77
macrumors 68020

Finally!!!!!

OMG I was in withdraw from a lack of "when will the mini be updated" threads!

Once again, the answer I always give to these types of threads. Go ask Steve, because he is the only one that knows, and if he tells you and doesn't kill you for letting it slip come and tell us.

Why do people continually ask questions that they should know that no one can answer?

Don
Dmac77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
AlphaBob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac77 View Post
Why do people continually ask questions that they should know that no one can answer?

Don
Because this is supposedly a community forum just filled with friendly helpful people willing to offer advice and support.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:52 PM   #9
crontab
macrumors member

this is a RUMORS site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBob View Post
Because this is supposedly a community forum just filled with friendly helpful people willing to offer advice and support.
Exactly! Look folks, as sick as you are hearing from us "update waiters", we are sick of waiting. And before you snap with the "just go buy an iMac" mantra, we are waiting beacuse: 1 - we can, and 2 - we want to buy an updated mini.

Truly, if you are sick of these "when will the mini be updated" threads, then why read and post responses in them. Ignore them if you have nothing positive or supportive to offer - and all of us will be happier.

For the record, I love Cave Man's sarcasm though! Keep it coming
crontab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:10 PM   #10
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by crontab View Post
For the record, I love Cave Man's sarcasm though! Keep it coming
I'm mad because I missed today's New And Improved Mac Mini Prediction (TM). This makes 53 Tuesdays in a row that I've blown the Santa Rosa/Merom/Penryn/Montevina Mac Mini prediction. Time to email steve.jobs@apple.com again (his restraining order has no legal status here in the Neander Valley).
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:59 PM   #11
iTiki
macrumors 6502

I was thinking of a new mini for myself, but got tired of waiting for an update. I went to the openning of the new Monterey Apple store and and bought a 24" iMac. and could not be happier! I like the mini for what it is and hope for those that want one, the update comes soon. Now that I bought the iMac, the new mini will be out next Tuesday.

Mike
iTiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Cave Man
macrumors 604

It would be worth the wait if they built it with the X4500 gpu.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:42 PM   #13
iDave
macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to look bad.

Sometime before mid November, MacBooks will be upgraded. Shortly after that, the mini will get a silent upgrade, using leftover MacBook parts from last year. It will still be overpriced and will look ridiculous when compared to every other desktop computer on the market.

The reason for this is that Apple doesn't want people buying this $600-800 Mac mini instead of their more profitable computers. But I'll probably buy one.
iDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:05 PM   #14
PaulexPC
macrumors member

[QUOTE=Does Anyone Have An Idea When The Mac Mini Will See An Update? QUOTE]

I'd guess about four days after I buy that cute little Dell unit.

And by they way, I wish people would stop telling us to buy an iMac. I have no interest in a computer + screen all in one.
PaulexPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:07 PM   #15
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Well the more profitable computers are also more powerful...

More and more I think the Mini no longer has a place in Apple's product line.

It's goal was as a low(er)-price way for people to experiment with OS X while leveraging their existing investment in peripherals. This was very important in the PowerPC days because back then you had to replace all of your software with OS X equivalents and that meant an investment in both money and time beyond just the hardware purchase. Offering something much cheaper then the iMac or PowerMac to allow folks to "try the water" made sense then.

Once Apple moved to Intel, the need for the Mini pretty much ended. If you buy an iMac or MacBook (Pro) or Mac Pro and find you hate OS X, just run Windows on it and enjoy the style. Feel free to experiment with OS X all you want, safe in the knowledge there was Boot Camp and Windows Virtual Machines to fall back on.

I myself started with a MacBook and an Al iMac. In the end, those were mistakes because within six months I was committed to the OS X platform 99.99% (I boot into Windows for two apps - ACDSee and MP3 Tag & Rename) and have since bought a MacBook Pro and am preparing to buy a Mac Pro as replacements.

But if Apple had not moved to Intel, I would have bought a G4 Mac Mini and experimented and likely would have eventually committed to OS X since most of the OS X applications I use today were available in PPC format. With the move to Intel, the need to get the Mini evaporated, since I could replace my current laptop with a Mac and leverage Windows on it.

And Apple is not interested in making the Mac Mini into an HTPC because they have the Appletv.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:19 PM   #16
iDave
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
It's goal was as a low(er)-price way for people to experiment with OS X while leveraging their existing investment in peripherals.
It still is. Many of us still have and still prefer to replace our displays separate from our computers. A display usually lasts several years longer than a computer. Apple's only option for us other than the mini is a $2300 Mac Pro. Try selling one of those to someone who's also looking at a $500 Dell. Even the cheapest iMac ($1200) or MacBook ($1100) seems way too much when looking at that Dell. (Not that I'd consider a Dell. That's why I'm anxious for the mini to be upgraded.)

And Apple adds insult to injury by offering nothing but glossy displays on their low-end all-in-one computers. Sheesh!
iDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:20 PM   #17
aafuss1
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to aafuss1 Send a message via MSN to aafuss1 Send a message via Yahoo to aafuss1
It's not even capable of 802.11n-so that, X4500 would be in a silent upgrade (eg. no press release is issue).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 04:16 PM   #18
CharlesX
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWallace View Post
Well the more profitable computers are also more powerful...

More and more I think the Mini no longer has a place in Apple's product line.

It's goal was as a low(er)-price way for people to experiment with OS X while leveraging their existing investment in peripherals. This was very important in the PowerPC days because back then you had to replace all of your software with OS X equivalents and that meant an investment in both money and time beyond just the hardware purchase. Offering something much cheaper then the iMac or PowerMac to allow folks to "try the water" made sense then.

Once Apple moved to Intel, the need for the Mini pretty much ended. If you buy an iMac or MacBook (Pro) or Mac Pro and find you hate OS X, just run Windows on it and enjoy the style. Feel free to experiment with OS X all you want, safe in the knowledge there was Boot Camp and Windows Virtual Machines to fall back on.

I myself started with a MacBook and an Al iMac. In the end, those were mistakes because within six months I was committed to the OS X platform 99.99% (I boot into Windows for two apps - ACDSee and MP3 Tag & Rename) and have since bought a MacBook Pro and am preparing to buy a Mac Pro as replacements.

But if Apple had not moved to Intel, I would have bought a G4 Mac Mini and experimented and likely would have eventually committed to OS X since most of the OS X applications I use today were available in PPC format. With the move to Intel, the need to get the Mini evaporated, since I could replace my current laptop with a Mac and leverage Windows on it.

And Apple is not interested in making the Mac Mini into an HTPC because they have the Appletv.
The mini may have been introduced as a switcher's computer, but I still think it's profitable to have a Mac without a monitor that's not the Pro. The HDTV transition is coming up and most new LCD TVs can be used as computer monitors. There could be a lot of people (like me) who'd like to save and not waste money on another monitor, but don't need a Pro. There's also the market for people buying a Cintiq (like me) who will put most of their money into that product and want only a decent modern computer that can be used for games every now and then.

O! Mac Mini update, where out thou?
CharlesX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 09:13 PM   #19
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

The Mac Mini is rumored to be finally getting a redesign, but the question is when. There have been no rumors of it in a while, so I am starting to think we will not see it until Macworld with the redesigned Cinema Displays.

Mac Mini will become the Mac Air and lose the drive. It will finally come with a wireless keyboard and mouse standard with a similar footprint to the Apple TV. That's my prediction anyway.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 09:27 PM   #20
iMacmatician
macrumors 601

Looprumors predicted a redesign with a height reduction back in March. Maybe it was scrapped. If not, then Apple would have to release a redesign to make the Mac mini fit in with all the other Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
The Mac Mini is rumored to be finally getting a redesign, but the question is when. There have been no rumors of it in a while, so I am starting to think we will not see it until Macworld with the redesigned Cinema Displays.

Mac Mini will become the Mac Air and lose the drive. It will finally come with a wireless keyboard and mouse standard with a similar footprint to the Apple TV. That's my prediction anyway.
I think this is the most likely possibility, along with the mini-tablet.
iMacmatician is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:38 AM   #21
Aegelward
macrumors 6502

I don't think they'd call it the Mac Air... the 'Air' motif implies a portable, something like 'Mac Nano' or even.. 'MyMac'

Here is a shot in the dark, in the even of them killing off the mini they might just integrate Mobile Me into the AppleTV, it's accessible to all their wireless devices so far, so why not the ATV.

Of course if they do kill the mini i may just have try and grab one of the last gen models..
Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:11 PM   #22
iSpoody 1243
macrumors 6502

WOW!!!
The mini discussion will prob end on the 5th Sept, at the next apple convention.
dont worry its like 3 weeks away
Old Aug 16, 2008, 07:48 PM   #23
Aegelward
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoody 1243 View Post
WOW!!!
The mini discussion will prob end on the 5th Sept, at the next apple convention.
dont worry its like 3 weeks away

What apple convention? most projections for an update is mid september, not early.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:01 PM   #24
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
the last major apple "convention" was WWDC 08. and also earlier, MacWorld.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 04:21 AM   #25
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac77 View Post
OMG I was in withdraw from a lack of "when will the mini be updated" threads!

Once again, the answer I always give to these types of threads. Go ask Steve, because he is the only one that knows, and if he tells you and doesn't kill you for letting it slip come and tell us.

Don

Don,

I know you were just trying to make a point with the Jobs comment, but there are many people privy to the release of a new mac. And in many cases there will be a lot of tidbits that can be pieced together to form a close guess on when a new computer will come out.

Take the new Imacs for example. One poster here got the exact date and specs perfect almost one month in advance of it's release. There were also other clues such as online inventory numbers for best buy etc. which give hints at an imminent release.

I think it's been a tough time on mac mini upgraders since about march this year. I feel sorry for them and hope that christmas comes early in september.

And I think that without these forums and these types of posts I would never have found the info regarding the new imac from earlier this year and would have bought the older machine. Which wouldn't have been bad, it just wouldn't have been the best value for my money.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini