Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fstfrwrd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Belgium
I was (and still am) looking for a Bluetooth mouse to accompany my MacBook Pro and I insisted it on being a Bluetooth mouse.
I don't want my USB ports taken up when I can have a wireless mouse, so I went looking for the Bluetooth options and decided to make a short list of the few I found.
Hopefully this will make things a bit easier for the rest of the forum members who are looking for a decent BT mouse.

If you want to comment on a mouse, please do so and give it a rating.
That way future forum members can make up their minds more easily as to what mouse they'd like to purchase.

If you want to add a mouse I've forgotten, don't hesitate to do so in the same format.

===============================================

MB111

Name Wireless Mighty Mouse
Manufacturer Apple
Description Now you can get the world-famous Mighty Mouse without the tail. With its Bluetooth technology, the wireless Mighty Mouse gives you complete freedom of movement with no cable clutter. It features the popular Scroll Ball that lets you move anywhere inside a document, without lifting a finger. And its laser tracking technology allows it to work on more surfaces with greater precision
Features
  • Bluetooth technology, ultimate portability
  • Laser tracking engine
  • Innovative Scroll Ball and button
  • Touch-sensitive top shell
  • Force-sensing side buttons
  • Customizable
  • Mac compatible
Price $69.00

K72330US-18704.jpg

Name SlimBlade™ Bluetooth® Presenter Mouse
Manufacturer Kensington
Description By combining a full-function laser mouse and presenter in one sleek device, the SlimBlade™ Presenter Mouse saves room in your travel bag and wows your audience.
Features
  • Full-featured laser mouse for easy navigation
  • Switch to presentation mode and give your presentations in style
  • Ultra-thin design fits great in your hand and slips easily into a pocket or travel bag
  • Never worry about turning your mouse on or off again- your mouse goes into sleep mode when your notebook does
  • PC and Mac compatible
  • 3-month battery life
Price $49.99

K72281US-17679.jpg

Name SlimBlade™ Trackball Mouse
Manufacturer Kensington
Description The Kensington SlimBlade™ Trackball Mouse works where other travel mice can't. The trackball gives you control even when there's no room to move a mouse, then switches to mouse mode with the push of a button. Bluetooth® connectivity offers up to 30 feet of range and doesn't use up a USB port.
Features
  • Full-featured laser mouse allows you to navigate through your documents with superior precision
  • Unique Scroll Ball provides easy and intuitive 360º scrolling
  • Trackball mode gives you cursor control in tight spaces and on any surface
  • Fuel gauge indicator lets you know when it's time to change your batteries
  • Never worry about turning your mouse on or off again--your mouse goes into sleep mode when your notebook does
  • Trackball mode
  • PC and Mac compatible
  • Up to 6 month battery life
Price $99.99

K72271US-16205.jpg

Name Si670m Bluetooth® Wireless Notebook Mouse
Manufacturer Kensington
Description Beyond wireless, this mouse connects without a receiver! So well designed, you can take this mouse anywhere and instantly appreciate its comfort, accuracy and speed.
Features
  • 1000 dpi performance optical lets you navigate accurately with little movement. So you can work easily in cramped spaces and off uneven surfaces.
  • 4-way tilt scroll lets you quickly maneuver through documents and graphics just by moving your fingertip.
  • Equally comfortable and ergonomic for right or left-handed users.
  • Mid-size body design with sculpted, rubberized grips...so you can comfortably use the mouse all though those long work days.
  • On/off switch lets you shut off your mouse when not in use so you conserve batteries.
  • Turn it on and your Bluetooth mouse is always ready to go!
    No receiver - nothing to plug in, pack or risk losing. Use your Bluetooth mouse with a completely clutter-free connection.
  • LED indicators confirm your connection and warns you when your battery's low.
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $49.99

K72414-12086.jpg

Name PilotMouse Mini Bluetooth® Mouse
Manufacturer Kensington
Description The Kensington Mini Pilot Bluetooth® Mouse gives you the ultimate in mobile freedom. It quickly and easily connects to your existing Bluetooth®-enabled laptop without wires or an added receiver. Just turn on the mouse's battery-saving power switch and go. With our advanced optical technology, you navigate accurately and easily virtually anywhere. Even up to sixty-five feet away so you can remotely control your presentations. Add programmable buttons, scroll wheel, ergonomic shape, integrated grips, and unrivaled ease of use and the Mini Pilot Bluetooth® sets a new standard for power and portability.
Features
  • Hassle-free connection easily works with any Bluetooth-enabled notebook computer
  • Eliminates wires and an added receiver for the ultimate in portable freedom
  • Superior range lets you control presentations from up to 65 feet away
  • DiamondEye™ optical technology tracks smoothly and accurately on virtually any surface
  • On-off switch helps you conserve battery power for when you really need it
  • Compact size is easy to carry and comfortable to use
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $14.99

afbeelding2rt2.jpg

Name V470 Cordless Laser Mouse
Manufacturer Logitech
Description Move beyond the touch pad with a comfortable cordless laser mouse for PC or Mac notebooks enabled with Bluetooth® wireless technology. No receiver necessary.
Features
  • Laser precision: Outperforms optical mice. Laser technology delivers smoother cursor control on virtually any surface.
  • Side-to-Side Scrolling Plus Zoom: Perfect for viewing digital photos and spreadsheets. Instantly zoom in and out. Scroll horizontally or vertically.
  • Bluetooth® wireless technology: Enjoy cable-free connection from up to 30 feet.
  • Protective pouch: Secures and protects your mouse during travel.
  • Light, durable design: More comfortable than a touch pad. Take it anywhere.
  • Battery life indicator: Eliminates surprises. And an on/off switch extends battery life.
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $49.99

mk_bnm5k_sm.jpg

Name Notebook Mouse for Mac
Manufacturer Microsoft
Description Microsoft’s most portable wireless notebook mouse connects seamlessly to Mac’s using Bluetooth. Free up USB port for other devices.
Features
  • Transceiver Free Convenience
  • High Definition Laser Technology
  • Battery Life Indicator
  • Ergonomic Design
  • Back Button
  • Scroll Wheel
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $49.95

ps_m_wlm8k.jpg

Name Wireless Laser Mouse 8000
Manufacturer Microsoft
Description
The Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 combines cutting edge features with sophisticated design. Microsoft’s first rechargeable mouse delivers 2.4 GHz Bluetooth® wireless performance, high definition laser, and much more…all wrapped up in a sleek brushed aluminum package.
Features
  • Rechargeable Mouse
  • 4-Way Scrolling
  • 2.4 GHz Bluetooth® with First Connect Technology
  • Instant Viewer
  • Battery Life Indicator
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $89.95

ps_m_wnpm8k.jpg

Name Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000
Manufacturer Microsoft
Description Do more and carry less with the first ever Notebook Mouse with integrated slide presenter, laser pointer, and media remote control. It's an all-in-one super tool for the office, road, and home—the only input device you need.
Features
  • Presentation Controls
  • Media Remote
  • Battery Life Indicator
  • 2.4 GHz Bluetooth® with First Connect Technology
  • Laser Pointer
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $49.95

btyProduct1.jpg

Name BT600
Manufacturer Radtech
Description The RadTech BT600 makes a great addition to your digital arsenal. This ruggedly built and versatile Bluetooth wireless mouse packs such a solid productivity punch, you'll never want to be without it. The BT600 combines 5-button control, ultra-precise 1200 dpi laser tracking, NiMH rechargeable batteries and in-mouse fast-charging via an included USB cable.
Features
  • Smooth tracking, maintenance-free 1200 dpi laser tracking technology
  • 5-button control plus scroll wheel make navigating your workspace a breeze
  • Button can be assigned by applications - perfect for Expose' & Dashboard
  • BT Class II - Supports the standard HID profile for use with any device
  • 10 Meter free space range - control your computer from across the room
  • Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum technology minimizes interference from other devices
  • Full-size form factor for those who prefer a larger mouse
  • Use with non-BT equipped computers requires a USB Bluetooth adapter
  • Power switch conserves battery power when not in use or stored
  • Use RadTech's free RadMouse HID driver for unparalleled control in Mac OS X
  • Use X-Mouse Button Control for mouse button configuration in Windows
  • Use Teksoft's BlueMouse for Windows-based (Pocket PC) mobile devices
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $29.95 - 59.95

TQ332_AV1

Name Razer Pro|Click Mobile Notebook Mouse
Manufacturer Razer Pro
Description The perfect mouse for all those places where space is a constraint, the Razer Pro|Click offers superior precision and comfort.
Features
  • Reliable, consistent performance with Bluetooth 2.0 adaptive frequency hopping
  • Ergonomic ambidextrous design and sleek non-slip finishing for the ultimate in comfort
  • 1200 dpi optical sensor
  • No drivers required, so start-up is a breeze
  • Travel pouch for protection and portability
  • Long battery life for uninterrupted use
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $59.95

8795119_sb.jpg

Name Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse
Manufacturer Rocketfish
Description Take control of your computer's programs, documents and media with this Bluetooth mouse. 1200 dpi laser technology allows smooth, precise tracking and scrolling and the wireless design eliminates cable clutter.
Features
  • Compatible with Bluetooth-enabled laptops and desktops; optional
  • Bluetooth adapter required for non-Bluetooth enabled computers (not included)
  • 1200 dpi laser technology for ultraprecise tracking and smooth response
  • 2 buttons and scroll wheel with 4-way horizontal and vertical tilt capability for easy navigation
  • Wireless design eliminates cables for a clutter-free work space
  • Requires 2 AAA batteries (included)
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $49.99

41YZKQ1R9WL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Name Bluetooth Laser Mouse AMB03US
Manufacturer Targus
Description The Targus Rechargeable Bluetooth Laser Notebook Mouse is designed to work with Bluetooth enabled PC and Mac computers and no receiver is required. With advanced Bluetooth technology, this mouse works up to 33 ft away. The high performance laser sensor has the ability to switch from 800 to 1,600 dpi on-the-fly for heightened sensitivity during gaming or other activities. Never worry about dead batteries again – this mouse charges while in use. A perfect option for travelers, the Bluetooth Laser Mouse is lightweight and includes a carrying pouch for added convenience.
Features
  • Functionality - Eliminates the need for a separate receiver, works seamlessly up to 33-feet away with a Bluetooth enabled PC or Mac
  • Convenience – Light design and carrying pouch makes this mouse easy to transport
  • Has the ability to change from 800 dpi to 1,600 dpi on-the-fly for heightened sensitivity – excellent for gaming
  • Includes a scroll wheel for easy navigation
  • Batteries recharge while mouse is in use, so no more dead batteries
  • Provides up to 20x more tracking sensitivity than typical optical mice
  • PC and Mac compatible
Price $39.95

Feel free to contribute ...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
nice guide! you should add it into the Guides Wiki.

i went for the Mighty Mouse as it ingrates well into OS X, you can use only one AA battery, has a scroll-click which i can assign to invoke Exposé and it matches my white Apple keyboard. but it also has erratic scrolling behaviour on dirty tables and large CPU loads and the full speed setting just isnt enough.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I use the BT Notebook Mouse for Mac [MS Laser 5000]. It's small, comfortable, and is pretty good on battery life. I tote it around with me all the time. Works on all surfaces. The scroll mouse is a tad noisy [ratchet vs. smooth scroll], but it's not horrible...

fstfrwrd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Belgium
Alright, thanks for the contributions.
Changes have been made to the first post.

I think I'm getting the Kensington SlimBlade Trackball Mouse

K72281US-17679.jpg

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Does anyone know if Logitech are planning on a bluetooth version of either the VX or MX Revolution? For me that would be the peeeerfect mouse :)

Ed

Hubert Brutal

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
the bluetooth rocket fish is the best one out there. you can get it for super cheap now at most Best Buy retailers. I think i spent about $25 on mine and i love it. the battery life is great and its easy to use. i recommend looking more into this mouse.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I received my Kensington SlimBlade Trackball mouse yesterday, and it is worth the money. This is how the MightyMouse should be! Perfect.

I also own a Kensington Expert and must say that too is excellent (though too big for a laptop owner). My opinion, Kensington rocks!

cbmtrx

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
RocketFish bluetooth mouse for OS X/PC

I'm done with the Apple Mighty Mouse; it's just bad engineering.

1. You can't clean the trackball so it will eventually fail;
2. Right-clicking is a crap shoot;
3. The side buttons are an utter joke.

I eventually bought a RocketFish bluetooth mouse and I'm quite happy with it--however, you DO need something like SteerMouse ($20) to take advantage of its full functionality (which isn't standard for OS X--what gives??).

The click action is much nicer, the left/right buttons are SEPARATE and the scroll wheel/middle mouse button is both horizontal and vertical. Be warned that the scroll wheel is hella noisy.

The major drawback in my mind is that the bluetooth connection has to be MANUALLY set on the underside of the mouse when you start up--no idea why this is. Also, the mouse cursor tends to lag on wake or after dormancy.

I give it 3.5/5 stars.

Hope this helps.

mirmir

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I work for logitech, and I can tell you the V470 is a great and solid mouse. Comes with a 5 year warranty, and will never have any problems with it.

Yes. I use a V470 (Blue, since it's bluetooth! :D ) and I love almost everything about it. I have a few minor issues, and a few bonuses.

Issues first:
When I lose connection, I get the apple OS "connection lost" message, and the Logitech "connection lost" message. They layer and look ugly, plus the delay is frustrating too.
I thought I had more issues, but that's all I can think of right now.

Bonuses:
It's VERY portable. I adore the sleeve it came with.
It's fast. I like things to do what I say when I say so. Immediately. So I was very pleased at the speed (I only had to speed it up a tad in preferences instead of most other mouses I've used.)
It works on anything... I mean anything--the squishy hotel room comforter, my leg, my laptop itself (my favorite tracking spot)--so I've stopped dragging around my mouse pad.
Oh, and Logitech customer support is excellent. I've only contacted them once, but they were very helpful, and quick.

I didn't go with the mighty mouse, because I've used the wired version before (my mom has an iMac that I used occasionally for drafting) and the track ball is a nightmare. In the application I use (VectorWorks) you zoom by using the scroll ball. And if the scroll ball dies, well, you do too. I prefer the size, but I just couldn't deal with that track ball.

Edit:
Remembered my other issue. I like the vertical scrolling fast, but my horizontal scrolling slower, and I can't set the difference. It makes scrolling sideways almost impossible for the way I use it.
And the blue isn't as blue as the image...

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I love my Mighty Mouse and will get one again if it dies on me.

However, Apple needs to update it. For one thing, when you turn it off and later on, it takes FOREVER to make the connection with the Mac BT. No idea why but the green light just blinks and blinks. If I leave the mouse always on, it connects instantly when I turn BT on the Mac but it drains the battery uneccessarily. It would be great if the mouse when into some type of sleep mode when it loses connection with the currently connected computer. I'd like to just pack up my MBP after turning off BT and the mouse then hibernates or something.

Also, the side buttons need tweaking. Too damn hard to squeeze them to get anything to function.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I do not work for Logitech and I have the V470. I'm very happy with it and get something like six months of life out of two AA batteries. I like the look of the Radtech mouse, though.

Great guide by the way.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Know this thread is a bit old, but posting to say it really helped me out. I stumbled upon this thread while searching for a cheap bluethooth mouse and saw the rocketfish bluetooth mouse. Did a bit of research and saw it was on sale for $20 at Best Buy this week.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to the TC and to say that the RocketFish mouse is excellent. I probably would have payed $50 for it instead of the $70 for MightyMouse. Just works out I got it for even cheaper. :-D Now to spend that extra $50 on a new pair of headphones.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Re: Bluetooth Mouse guide for Mac OS X

I was (and still am) looking for a Bluetooth mouse to accompany my MacBook Pro and I insisted it on being a Bluetooth mouse.
I don't want my USB ports taken up when I can have a wireless mouse, so I went looking for the Bluetooth options and decided to make a short list of the few I found.
Hopefully this will make things a bit easier for the rest of the forum members who are looking for a decent BT mouse.

Feel free to contribute ...

My contribution: Thanx for taking the time to write such a great guide! I bought a Mac mighty mouse which worked for a little over a year, before the right side started invading the left side. In other words, I have to go all the way up to the left side of the mouse and click, to avoid bringing down the right side, if that makes any sense. Tried reformatting it but it didn't take for long. The mighty mouse is pretty pricey for something that worked a little over a year. Will never buy another!

I then bought a Rocketfish wireless mouse and paired it up with my computer using Bluetooth. Now, every morning when I start up my computer or when my computer falls asleep, I get a window that pops up saying that bluetooth is trying to rediscover my mouse and goes through the whole process again. After 30 secs or so of searching or pairing up, the mouse works fine. Sure gets to be annoying. Been trying to find a way to stop this popup from coming on, but so far I've not found a way. From what I've read about Targus review, it looks like that might be the mouse I go with the next time.
:(

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I do not work for Logitech and I have the V470. I'm very happy with it and get something like six months of life out of two AA batteries. I like the look of the Radtech mouse, though.

Great guide by the way.

Yup, I also have a V470 and am very happy with it. Incredible battery life for sure. It was lagging a bit, but I researched it, and apparently the Logitech drivers conflict with OS X Leopard, so I uninstalled them, and everything works great.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Targus has come out with their $70 "Targus Bluetooth Laser Mouse for Mac".

resizeimage.asp

The distinguishing feature of this mouse would probably be its optical "touch scroll" button (for a Mighty Mouse user this has obvious appeal).

I ended up not liking the mouse and have gone back to my Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Specifically, the Targus mouse has connection issues on boot, settings don't hold (e.g. scrolling and tracking speeds), and "Screen Zoom" does not work (a feature I used a lot). My guess is that most of the issues are due to an infuriatingly immature driver which breaks every Mac HUI ever invented.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I have the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000-- got the OEM version for about half the price on newegg ($40ish), but it's no longer listed, sadly, and the retail version's been out-of-stock for quite some time now. I suspect the mouse has been discontinued.

It's a pretty good mouse all-around. I would have preferred a mini-usb cable for charging rather than the charge pad taking up space on my desk and a port on my power strip, and you only get battery life status on the computer if you install the Microsoft drivers... which really blow.

(On that note, are there any non-Apple mice that actually populate the 'Battery Level' information in the Bluetooth tab in Keyboard & Mouse Preferences?)

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I got a Razer DeathAdder (non-bluetooth) and it is the best mouse I've used thus far. I used to own a wireless mighty mouse (someone stole it) and always had trackball and periodic connectivity issues.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Does anybody use the Logitech V470 as a primary mouse? I had its predecessor, the 2xx and found it a bit small for my medium sized hands for everyday use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.