Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2004, 04:42 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

A maxiPrice for Apple's miniPod

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: A maxiPrice for Apple's miniPod

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2004, 04:46 PM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

hits nail on the head (IMO of course )
Quote:
Less music in a device marginally smaller at about the same price. Get it? I didn't, and few others will, either.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 05:18 PM   #3
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

I must agree it should have been 199 with a newer smaller dock
Old Jan 7, 2004, 05:57 PM   #4
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
agreed as well... minipod is beautiful of course and at the right price would sell like hotcakes! that's exactly the problem and the article's comparison with the cube is right on. heck, apple would have been better off keeping the form factor and just making a 4g ipod for $100-150.

i think apple just misses the point sometimes. it would make more sense to me, as a stock holder, to create a cheaper/smaller capacity ipod and get it out to the masses! i mean, i want everyone and their mother to have an ipod! then when you've got everyone sucked in, you bring out ipod 2.0 with a color screen and whatever form factor changes. you gotta build up your client base and then you keep 'em coming back... seems like business 101 to me.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:06 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G4

I don't understand the complaint.

Ultra-small players are NOT the same product as the main iPod. Take your pick which kind you want--the 15 is a great deal. But if 4 GB is enough for you, then enjoy the $50 savings and the smaller device.

Look at competing ultra-small 4GB HD players. There's only one--and it's $249 too.

1" hard disks aren't cheap. That's not Apple's doing. Don't like it? The 15 GB 1.8" drive iPod is the same price the 10 used to be, so enjoy your options
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:37 PM   #6
Nermal

If they introduced a 2 GB iPod for $149, I'd seriously consider getting one. But there's no way I'm paying $249 for 4 GB when I can pay $50 more for an additional 11 GB. I don't have that much music, but of course the 15 GB iPod will double up as a portable hard drive, making it look even more attractive.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:56 PM   #7
eazyway
macrumors regular

The price depends on the cost to market . I am sure Apple would love to have a lower price but if you look at the cost of the components it would be hard to see it priced less. Very likely Apple will have a lot lower margins on these until they can get the price of the HD's down. If the had used the recent 2 gb pricing announced the might have been able to produce at $199 2 Gb model.

Unfortunately their is a price attached to low volume and design and style.

As long as their is value in style people will pay.
eazyway is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:12 PM   #8
eazyway
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsebastian
agreed as well... minipod is beautiful of course and at the right price would sell like hotcakes! that's exactly the problem and the article's comparison with the cube is right on. heck, apple would have been better off keeping the form factor and just making a 4g ipod for $100-150.

i think apple just misses the point sometimes. it would make more sense to me, as a stock holder, to create a cheaper/smaller capacity ipod and get it out to the masses!

As a stockholder myself I don't want Apple to create a product as a loss leader unless they sell very few of them and are able to upgrade you to a better product. Dell is a perfect example .. by a system for $399... who buys that ..most end up buying a much better product and they stay away from the loss leader because it doesn't do the heavy duty work.

Now Apple makes the device smaller and different and it would like to sell more than a few of these. So as a stockholder I want products that are profitable. And $99 does not fit into to the Apple scheme of pricing.(they would have to produce the product for $50 to make money at current margins...businesses fail because they try to sell volume at the expense of profit.

Will the iPod mini sell ...I don't know but I am in the markety for an iPod and I may choose this one . Because I don't need more than 1000 songs and I like to listen to fewer tunes . ( we already have 3 iPods in the family 20 Gig variety) I don't need a HD we have 2 LaCie 40 GB pocket drives already.

Who will buy these....
1. People who are trendy
2. People who want miniature
3. People who have lots of money and there are millions of these in the world
4. Impulsive buyers.
5. Some who cannot afford it but feel they can just scrape it together.

and so on....

IMO it will not be the same hit as the iPod .. but who new that the iPod would be such a culture icon.
eazyway is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2004, 07:21 PM   #9
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
Yes the price is a problem, but the article does not bother to mention other devices like it.
NOMAD MuVoČ 4GB
Combines 4GB capacity, high-speed USB2.0 loading and superb sound quality in a remarkably compact, easy to use package. Connects as a USB flash drive to carry music and data files. $299!!!!
It costs even more then the miniPod but no one noticed it. Its actually a low price for the category, but I'm still disappointed anyway, but keep things in perspective.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 08:15 PM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Re: I don't understand the complaint.

Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Ultra-small players are NOT the same product as the main iPod. Take your pick which kind you want--the 15 is a great deal. But if 4 GB is enough for you, then enjoy the $50 savings and the smaller device.

Look at competing ultra-small 4GB HD players. There's only one--and it's $249 too.

1" hard disks aren't cheap. That's not Apple's doing. Don't like it? The 15 GB 1.8" drive iPod is the same price the 10 used to be, so enjoy your options
Sorry I don't see your Point.

Its smaller... easier to lose... You only have a $50 dollar savings... thats for a whole 11 Gigabytes.

Thats the killer.

Quote:
Even Jobs's Jedi-esque powers of reality dispersion can't alter the unfavorable math behind Apple's new offering. Here are the hard numbers. The new miniPod will cost $249. That's about $100 more than the rumor sites had posited. It will offer 4 gigabytes of capacity on its hard drive. By comparison, the entry-level iPod now costs $299 and has 15 gigabytes of disk space. The miniPod's cost per gigabyte is $62.50. In the entry-level iPod, it's about $20.
Yes, ABSORBANT Price wise.

People will either buy smaller 1 GB/2GB Non apple Models or the regular iPod.

Boo iPod Mini.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jan 7, 2004, 09:16 PM   #11
Stella
macrumors 603

The article is absolutely correct.

The iPod mini is nothing to shout about at all... over priced.

Tuesday was Apple at its worst... offering an iPod that is nothing special in terms of competiting with the competition... and fitting in with the existing Apple iPods. And Apple changing its policy on iPhoto and iMovie..

This was a disasterous keynote... the only thing that saved it was G5 xServes, and to some extent, Garage - if you are in to composing music as a hobbeyised.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion