Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:06 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

An Apology to the iPod touch

Category: Humor
Link: An Apology to the iPod touch
Description:: Dear iPod touch,

I am sorry. We of the media have overlooked you so much recently that I feel it is time for us to apologize. So, Iíll say it again. iPod touch, I am so sorry.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
I love my iPod touch... and think fondly of it when I read all the stories of iPhone releases, updates, etc.

All the functionality of the iPhone save for phone calls and gps, without a monthly service fee for crappy wireless service from AT&T. i'll buy that for a dollar.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:13 PM   #3
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Not too keen on the article but I'll thrown in my touch support as well. I love mine dearly. Instead of carrying my 12" powerbook with me I just take my touch and an 8Gb USB drive on my keyring. Between the two and the computer facilities/wifi at the hospital/uni I'm in no need to carry a laptop at all. It's an awesome little machine. Music, lectures, games, videos, TV programs (thanks elgato tvmini). It's exceeded my expectations by far. I only wish I'd gone 32 instead of 16 and it a much longer battery life.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:46 PM   #4
macrumors 65816

I really love my iPod touch too. The web is quite browsable on it and when I'm bored now I can play a ton of games. Yeah, an iPhone would be nice, but the touch has no fees and with wifi, the touch is almost the same as the iphone.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:16 PM   #5
LizKat
macrumors 68020

I use my 32GB iPod touch a whole lot more than I thought I would. I think the only things I really miss compared to my iPhone are the external volume controls and especially an external speaker. Sometimes I just don't feel like wearing earbuds, or I want to share something with a friend who does not have any earbuds along at the moment.

(what... there's someone walking around without a set of earbuds???)

But if they had to make it thicker to put the speaker... leave it out! I love how skinny the thing is, sitting there with 10 movies and God knows what all else on it right now.

I love the iPod touch as much as I do the skinny little 2nd gen nano. Apple really played an ace when they brought that little gem to the table, but probably for most people the iPod touch has left it in the dust. I think they are in different niches and I have use for both in my life every day.
LizKat is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:24 PM   #6
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
I love my iPod touch... and think fondly of it when I read all the stories of iPhone releases, updates, etc.

All the functionality of the iPhone save for phone calls and gps, without a monthly service fee for crappy wireless service from AT&T. i'll buy that for a dollar.
yeah, but the fatal flaw of the touch is that it still requires you to carry 2 devices. More than anything, that's why I bought an iphone - to consolidate. If you don't mind having your pockets full, though, I can see why the touch is great.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:45 PM   #7
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
yeah, but the fatal flaw of the touch is that it still requires you to carry 2 devices.
And the fatal flaw with the iPhone is if the battery runs out you're left with no devices. If you're able to charge away from home it wouldn't be a problem but we all aren't that lucky.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:03 PM   #8
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
And the fatal flaw with the iPhone is if the battery runs out you're left with no devices. If you're able to charge away from home it wouldn't be a problem but we all aren't that lucky.
I use my iPhone all day. I listen to music in the car (without it charging - just using the aux in on my stereo). While at work, I continue to listen to music connected to speakers (again, without power). Sometimes the music is from the iPod, sometimes streaming from the internet. From time to time, I'll check email, stocks, weather, etc. And of course there are the phone calls I make and receive.

At the end of the day, the battery is low, but never empty.
tk421 is offline   0
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:11 PM   #9
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
I use my iPhone all day. I listen to music in the car (without it charging - just using the aux in on my stereo). While at work, I continue to listen to music connected to speakers (again, without power). Sometimes the music is from the iPod, sometimes streaming from the internet. From time to time, I'll check email, stocks, weather, etc. And of course there are the phone calls I make and receive.

At the end of the day, the battery is low, but never empty.
Likewise with my touch - it's well below 10%/dead by the time I get home. My phone lasts three to four days without a charge. I use it constantly. It's far more convenient than having to charge every night. I also don't have to worry about using my touch battery and not being able to make calls.

Last edited by .Andy; Aug 11, 2008 at 09:18 PM.
.Andy is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:11 AM   #10
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
yeah, but the fatal flaw of the touch is that it still requires you to carry 2 devices. More than anything, that's why I bought an iphone - to consolidate.
That's exactly what I did. The Touch convinced me to get an iPhone. I was on a trip and was carrying the Touch, a camera and a cell phone. Whenever I wanted to check my e-mail, I struggled to find an open WiFi hotspot. Most of the time, I had to pay exorbitant fees to use one. I had a "V8" moment, whacking myself upside the head. So now, yeah, I have a contract with AT&T. But I ditched my land line, so it's basically a wash. And so far, I'm quite happy with AT&T's service.

As for battery life, unless I use my iPhone's data functions repeatedly throughout the day, I charge it once every two days. The most I've charged it is once a day. I have yet to run the battery down.
jayducharme is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:23 AM   #11
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
Likewise with my touch - it's well below 10%/dead by the time I get home. My phone lasts three to four days without a charge. I use it constantly. It's far more convenient than having to charge every night. I also don't have to worry about using my touch battery and not being able to make calls.
one of the main reasons i didnt get an iphone. i like to keep my phone and music seperate. i need my phone batt to last as long as possible most of the time
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:16 AM   #12
macFanDave
macrumors 6502a

Two devices is low.

Quote:
yeah, but the fatal flaw of the touch is that it still requires you to carry 2 devices. More than anything, that's why I bought an iphone - to consolidate. If you don't mind having your pockets full, though, I can see why the touch is great.
If you read the comments to the original article, you saw one guy who had an iPod Touch, a Nokia cell phone for telephony, a Canon camera for photography and a TomTom for navigation. FOUR DEVICES!!!

I wish the iPhone camera were quite a bit better. It's inferiority is irritating to even casual photographers. I've never used a TomTom or other GPS device, so I can't compare its performance to an iPhone 3G (I have an original iPhone) and see how each meets my needs.

If I had more access to Wi-fi networks, the Touch would work for me.
macFanDave is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:43 AM   #13
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

The only thing that bugs me about this article is... choosing between Toto and Steely Dan? I mean, is that really a serious problem?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:45 AM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G4

The iPod Touch is the ultimate portable computer. Insanely thin, and with VNC, it runs all your Mac and Windows software If you already carry a music player anyway, may as well make it a Touch.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:17 PM   #15
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Yay for the iPod Touch!!!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:32 PM   #16
FuuFuu
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to FuuFuu
lol i think you should apologize to the rest of the mp3/phones.

FuuFuu is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:53 PM   #17
mkaake
macrumors 65816

All that I need is a camera connector for the iPod touch - that's it. I can't have an iPhone as my phone (no camera phones at work), so it's already out of the running. But given the 2.0 update and the App store, my touch is doing everything I wanted out of my Newton. Throw in the camera connector, and I can leave the laptop behind where I would otherwise want it with me...

Well, better battery life would be nice too.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Krafty
macrumors 601

So now the media has scooped so low to apologizing to inanimate objects?

Wow... way to go....
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:55 PM   #19
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
So now the media has scooped so low to apologizing to inanimate objects?

Wow... way to go....
Taking it a little seriously, aren't you?
tk421 is offline   0
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:59 PM   #20
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
Taking it a little seriously, aren't you?
Oh. I forgot what forum I was on for a sec.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:12 PM   #21
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Oh. I forgot what forum I was on for a sec.
Well, the article was intended to be humor.
tk421 is offline   0
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:05 AM   #22
bpl323
macrumors 6502

I love my touch too!
bpl323 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion