Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
it had serious light leak on the left side. now i get home with my new replacement phone and the light leak on this one is even worse.

quality control at apple is becoming a joke.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
it had serious light leak on the left side. now i get home with my new replacement phone and the light leak on this one is even worse.

quality control at apple is becoming a joke.

Why dont people check the phone out fully before they leave the store? Would save alot of drama and repeat posts.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Why dont people check the phone out fully before they leave the store? Would save alot of drama and repeat posts.
Yes, you should really check for light leak by asking Apple to turn off their lights or open up the back storage without lights, so you can check it.

Haruk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Because apple shouldn't suck so much, people shouldn't have to worry so much about getting a defective product if apple would get their **** together and stop selling their crappy, defective products

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
Because apple shouldn't suck so much, people shouldn't have to worry so much about getting a defective product if apple would get their **** together and stop selling their crappy, defective products

Well if u read these forums, you should already know the issues and look for them when recieving the iphone.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008

it's not as easy as you think. i asked if i could go into the back for a moment WITH the genius to check the new phone before leaving the store but obviously that's not allowed. they even tried to tell me they couldn't see any light leak on the first phone but i didn't take no for an answer since it's clearly visable in a dark room. this new one however is so bad it's visable in broad daylight.

another trip to apple later tonight i guess.

i hate how their products are never consistent in quality. everytime you buy something it's a lottery in terms of build quality.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
exactly!!! always check the product before you leave the store...ALWAYS
You guys really don't "think"...

How do you suggest to check for light leak without leaving the store? Op has already said that Apple declined for him to enter the back room.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
You guys really don't "think"...

How do you suggest to check for light leak without leaving the store? Op has already said that Apple declined for him to enter the back room.

I went thru 4 iphones before i got the perfect one. I checked all 3 previous ones in store. That way i didnt have to go back and go back. Is it that hard to cup the iphone in your hand and look at it closely for light leaks?

musicbox

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Every Apple Store has public restrooms. If the sales associates will not work with you to test for light leaks in the dark, take your phone with you to the bathroom. They cannot prevent you from going to the bathroom.

In the event that things are not going your way, ask to speak to the Manager on Duty (the M.O.D.), and try to resolve your problem through them, instead of the sales associate. Carefully explain your previous problems, and your intense concerns for going home with the same type problem for a third time.

As the previous post said earlier, "Don't leave the store without resolving your problems. Test your equipment there before leaving."

I think you will be able to resolve your problem successfully.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
it's not as easy as you think. i asked if i could go into the back for a moment WITH the genius to check the new phone before leaving the store but obviously that's not allowed. they even tried to tell me they couldn't see any light leak on the first phone but i didn't take no for an answer since it's clearly visable in a dark room. this new one however is so bad it's visable in broad daylight.

another trip to apple later tonight i guess.

i hate how their products are never consistent in quality. everytime you buy something it's a lottery in terms of build quality.

Be happy that the phone works and functions correctly.

I always talk on the phone in a dark room, and notice leaks. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I went thru 4 iphones before i got the perfect one. I checked all 3 previous ones in store. That way i didnt have to go back and go back. Is it that hard to cup the iphone in your hand and look at it closely for light leaks?

Yes! too damn bright. No way you'd be able to see anything unless the light leak was really really bad.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Be happy that the phone works and functions correctly.

I always talk on the phone in a dark room, and notice leaks. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I take it you wouldn't mind paying full price for a new, dented, pitted, and warped MBP, then :eek:

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Every Apple Store has public restrooms. If the sales associates will not work with you to test for light leaks in the dark, take your phone with you to the bathroom. They cannot prevent you from going to the bathroom.

In the event that things are not going your way, ask to speak to the Manager on Duty (the M.O.D.), and try to resolve your problem through them, instead of the sales associate. Carefully explain your previous problems, and your intense concerns for going home with the same type problem for a third time.

As the previous post said earlier, "Don't leave the store without resolving your problems. Test your equipment there before leaving."

good advice. i'll definately take my 3rd iphone to a restroom or somewhere dark either in the store or in the mall before i drive off again.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
..this new one however is so bad it's visable in broad daylight.

I guess I am confused why you didn't catch this in the store as you clearly indicate that the light leak, "is so bad it's visable in broad daylight." I also don't understand why this particular "defect" bothers people so much. As someone else suggested, it's not like people make phone calls from pitch black rooms. But maybe I am just not picky enough. Of course, every phone I have ever had, I have appreciated the fact that it lit up so I could see the screen. :rolleyes:

acvball92

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Fairfield County, CT

HEY!! AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE!:D
My apple store defintely does not have a public bathroom!:p

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My god, how are all these problems even possible? On last years iPhone, I purchased three over several months. All three of them were perfect in every way. Not one defect, not one bad pixel, just perfect phones.

July 11, I buy a white 3G phone. It too is perfect, no bad pixels, no light leaks, just perfect.

August 11, I go to the Apple store and upgrade my second old iPhone to a white 3G and it too is perfect. No bad pixels, no light leaks, nothing bad.

Over the past year I have also purchased four Macs, a MBP, a MB, an iMac and a Mac Pro along with a 23" ACD. All of them have been perfect as well. I can't be the only lucky person around can I?

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
i agree, i should have checked it in store, i didn't think it would be noticable even if it did have light leakage in broad daylight, i guess i was wrong.

here's a pic i just took.

Attachments

• IMG_8490.JPG
    IMG_8490.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 134

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
My god, how are all these problems even possible? On last years iPhone, I purchased three over several months. All three of them were perfect in every way. Not one defect, not one bad pixel, just perfect phones.

July 11, I buy a white 3G phone. It too is perfect, no bad pixels, no light leaks, just perfect.

August 11, I go to the Apple store and upgrade my second old iPhone to a white 3G and it too is perfect. No bad pixels, no light leaks, nothing bad.

Over the past year I have also purchased four Macs, a MBP, a MB, an iMac and a Mac Pro along with a 23" ACD. All of them have been perfect as well. I can't be the only lucky person around can I?

You and many other people getting lucky doesn't really mean a thing. Of course most people are lucky, but the very idea that we even have to use the term "lucky" says a lot. If there weren't more of you "lucky" persons than there were of the unlucky ones, you'd have an even higher percentage of faulty products.

To carve it out in stone: Because some people get lucky, doesn't mean that there aren't a huge problem with the QC at Apple.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
i agree, i should have checked it in store, i didn't think it would be noticable even if it did have light leakage in broad daylight, i guess i was wrong.

here's a pic i just took.

Just stick a needle in the gasket and push it outwards. Thats all it is. If that doesnt fix it, return it.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
just a quick update.

i just got back from apple and after much debate with the manager over why i don't think the light leak is acceptable, they exchanged the phone and i am now on my 3rd iphone.

this one seems good. the screen is flush, the light leak on the upper left, which is where it seems light leakage is most prevalent, is minimal, and i can't afford to keep going back and forth so this one's a keeper.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
For those concerned about making sure there is not light leak, take a thick paper shopping bag with you to the store and look at the phone inside the bag. It should block enough light to reveal the leaks without having to convince anyone to let you stroll off with the phone.

MasonMI

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
just a quick update.

i just got back from apple and after much debate with the manager over why i don't think the light leak is acceptable, they exchanged the phone and i am now on my 3rd iphone.

this one seems good. the screen is flush, the light leak on the upper left, which is where it seems light leakage is most prevalent, is minimal, and i can't afford to keep going back and forth so this one's a keeper.

When Apple is doing the exchanges for you are you getting a new iphone 3G ? or are you getting a refurbished iphone 3G?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.