Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Gagne

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2001
Maui, Hawaii
iTunes 2.0 available....

you want $299? Just wait til the holidays get closer. If sales dont meet expectations (how can they this year?) the price cutting will begin in earnest. It always makes good sense to start a little high and have to come back down.....you never get to raise the price in todays markets. Patience will reward you I am sure.

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
Other Languages?!

I have a French Mac OS, and they won't let me install iTunes 2 because it says I need an English version of Mac OS!
Does anyone know when iTunes in other languages is coming out?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Why not spanish?

Even I would never use a spanish version of any software, I should come in spanish too. There is South and Central America, there is Spain, that is more than the german and french population togather multiply by 8.

Now do not come to me saying that lating americans are not the target market because they do no have money. That is the usual cliche of some one that only knows mexican inmigrants and puerto ricans.

So any body can tell me a real reason why not itunes or iPot in spanish?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Yeah!

I just installed the iTunes 2 and the control strip icon doesn't work!

Way to go Apple!

Time to sell the the stocks before is too late.

Let me see what else doesn't work.

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
Re: Yeah!

Originally posted by mymemory
I just installed the iTunes 2 and the control strip icon doesn't work!

Way to go Apple!

Time to sell the the stocks before is too late.

Let me see what else doesn't work.

I don't think anyone will sell their shares for that reason...
Anyway, I think you should be please to get the iTunes in the first place! It's a great software and it's free. So don't complain too much!

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Did anyone take the time to notice
"Note: iTunes 2 for Mac OS X is also available for download in Japanese. Additional languages will be available soon" You can find this under the download button.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Keeping going

The EQ is ok as an option but the texture is way too metallic.
I have the computer plug in to a pair of Event 20/20p studio monitor and I was testing the presets. Most of them are too extreme and they change the original EQ too much in place of do it in small steps.

(For those who are not familiar with the audio field, the EQ where invented with the pourpose of "equalize" the signal compensating the defects of the room, not to personalize or modify the original mix. There are "standards" at the moment of doing a final mix in a recording studio).

Now, about the EQ, you can tell the issue because you do not need to move the fader even half the way to really hear the difference, if you are not in the audio Engineer, it shouldn't be like that. But the texture still metallic, that means a low end digital algorithm to process the signal, worst if you add the fact that you are using compressed mp3 files that sound a bit metallic them self.

This is my point of view as an audio Engineer, for the general public may sounds fine.

The cross fade was an idea I didn't expect and is really good, that was an inpruvement.

Ok, in the prefferences the add another slider called "Sound Enhancer" that IS an EQ, is giving a bit of pressence to the low frequencies and a bit to the hi ones.

It is just me or the Visuals are running more smoothly?

They should add an option that allow me to download in real time the music from the radio stations.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: Re: Yeah!

I don't think anyone will sell their shares for that reason...[/B]
The reason is not iTunes, is the "iPot" too and who knows what other revolutionary decision.

Anyway, I think you should be please to get the iTunes in the first place! It's a great software and it's free. [/B]

Well, I would be pretty upset buying a EQ like that. Else, we are short term Apple investment.

So don't complain too much! [/B]

I do complaing because I know the same features can be better, without too much effort. If I do not complain and people do not complain their standarts may be going down. It is because of the people that complains on time that companies take care of their production.

The big problem with the companies with a brand name is that always some one inside relay the quality of the product on the name of the company and things like the Cube can happen. May be a little lees here and a litte less there and the result is a crapy product or a product that is not "realisticly merchadeable", and Apple have done that a lot. It is because of the blind Apple fans that they play with the costumers.

Let me give you the big picture. The mediocracy that we live in my country for example, was because some said, "Oh look, I can still all this money and no one will find out", and the person beside him did the same. So, 20 years later we have.
-An average of 70 death by robery just in weekends (that is more than the people that die in a month Croatia during the war and we are not in war).
-100 stolen cars crossing the frontier to Colombia (per day).
-80% of people that makes less than 80$ a month.
-Our prices are 30% more expensive than in the US.
-The beganing of a dictator ship.
-A president that gives $1.000.000 (per day) of free oil to Cuba.

Mediocracy spread like a cancer every where and many of you wont tell because you think south america is Taco Bell, Ricky Martin and down south Carmen Miranda.

You do not know how stupid look the US terrify because 4 people die of antrax. We wish our problems were antrax related only. I have a friend in a big music store there and I was telling him "Man, the US have seen nothing of what is going on out side their frontiers."
I less than 2 months period, my girl friends syster was rape, the boyfriend of my moms friend was killed because they wanted to still hi car, another man was left naked (and hurted) at the entrace of my street after been rob. And I live in the upper east side by the way...

Man, you have seen nothing of what the out side world beyound your frontiers is made off, and I hope the US still living in that MATRIX created to you for many years.

What I mean is that if you do not stop or alert people on time from been mediocre, that is gonna spread like a cancer in a mater of years. So, complain wisely as much as you can to tell people when they are taking the wrong direction and be sure of telling them the what direction to take.

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
I must say I agree with you on most of your remarks.
It is true that by complaining, you may make a difference in the world, but you also sometimes have to be gratefull with what you have got.
Also, you made a good point when you said the US doesn't care much about what's happening in other countries (exept for their enemies', of course).
I'm sorry about the situation in your country, and it is interesting to hear the story from a witness.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
very interesting and prophetic

all great empires have a beginning, a middle, and an end

look at greece, rome, great britain, and the 70s-early 80s apple

the US are next and it is just the natural order of things, but i don't think we will see the US turn into a third world country in any of our lifetimes

when i see what an incredible empire greece once was, i ask myself, "how did they possibly lose their grip they had?"

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Is this an Apple forum?

Can everyone move their sermons on the mount to more appropriate forums? This is a thread for discussing iTunes.. So I thought... Topic spammers!

As for market arguments about iTunes "could be better".. you could also pay for something better if you all weren't so cheap!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
thanks for the reminder

this is why we need new people like you, to keep things on topic

the older we get here, the more apt we are to get off topic...because we actually get to know each other off forum

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
hehehehe

Originally posted by benmac
Actually, that is not always true, I am one of the naughty persons who got off the topic, and I'm 16 years old...

Topics are boring! Politics are better, and specially at this time.

The US is not going to fall, it is not an empire, it is going for some changes (and wait because there are more coming up).

Kids you should be thinking a bit of what is going on beyond your computer, and that doesn't mean to buy the last Gorillaz CD. Because next year, you may not have a computer to run iTunes.
Even them, next year I may be moving to Puerto Rico or Miami, with my G4 under one harm and my Pismo under the other and with all the antrax and terrorism that you have, it is 99.9% safer than live here.

[Edited by mymemory on 11-04-2001 at 10:48 AM]

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
Re: hehehehe

Originally posted by mymemory

Kids you should be thinking a bit of what is going on beyoud your computer, and that doesn't mean to buy the last Gorillaz CD. Because next year, you may not have a computer to run iTunes.

[/B]

Don't worry, I do look beyond my iMac, and by the way I don't consider myself a kid anymore...
I don't really understand what you mean by: next year, I may not have a computer to run iTunes.
Benjamin (from Belgium).

TSEliotLives

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2001
Milwaukee
Back to iTunes...

While I do indeed agree that politics are interesting, I for one am a bit burnt out on them...all the media seems to do is re-hash the same stories, and it's downright fatiguing.

On the topic of some of mymemory's criticisms of iTunes 2 -

I guess, from my perspective, the EQ is more than sufficient for the TYPE of product that iTunes is. I, too, work with sound on a slightly higher level than iTunes. I have my main G4 hooked up to a high-quality COMPONENT EQ. Sure, this allows much more flexibility, and it's great for the situation. However, while I'm at school, AWAY from my "big Mac," I don't have the money or the space for a high-quality, component EQ. In this situation, iTunes' EQ is a godsend...it allows me to do some basic tweaking to overcome the horrible acoustics of my dorm, and make my JBL Sonnets sound like they should. It is NOT a crutch for bad speakers, and NOT a cure-all. It is a simply a tool, and a tool is only as good and useful as its user.

Secondly, the "sound enhancement" feature: it's a little more than a "loudness" control. There is some extra processing that is going on, to create a better sense of stereo separation, to "open up" the sound on smaller speakers. While I'm using my Sonnets, this is fantastic. When I have my PowerBook hooked up to my stereo, this is unnecessary. Remember, it's a tool.

I think iTunes is a fabulous program, my experience has always been positive, and now I actually have the ability to use it for DJ'ing (up until now, I've relied on Tactile, which is a fine program, but its playback was less than stellar, skipping every time you so much as clicked, and adding quite a few mysterious clicks and rattles into the music.) iTunes is free, it's functional, and it's stable. iTunes is not meant to be a professional EQ, or a high-end exciter, or a pricey DJ mixer. But what it does do, it does well, and it serves its target audience's needs. If you want your music to be equalized precisely, go buy an Alesis EQ. If you need an exciter, go buy a BBE DSP. And if you need a DJ set-up, by all means, go out and bet yourself some Pioneer CD players and a Numark mixer. What's that you say? Don't have the cash? Well, last I checked, iTunes is free...

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON OS X

REPEAT, DO NOT install the currently available iTunes 2 for Mac OS X.

MANY users have reported deletion of hard drive partitions after installation this morning.

Apple has since pulled the installer from their site.

benmac

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2001
Brussels (Belgium)
As you seem to have quite a good knowledge in sound and music, I would appreciate it if you could help me.
We are going to install a radio station at my school and we don't really know where to start. We decided it would be with a computer, but how do we connect it to about 10 speakers in 3 different rooms? And what kind of software should we use?
Thanks for all your eventual help.

TSEliotLives

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2001
Milwaukee
In regards to benmac

benmac, I'd be more than happy to help you out with your project. Get in touch with me: laedtkej@ripon.edu. I'm all about the radio stations :)

rekras

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
what the hell

on itunes 2 most of my songs sound much better with the new equalizer, but for some reason some songs sound alot worse, the high treble gets fuzzy and the low bass gets fuzzier, WHAT THE HELL. and i know it isnt my soundsticks because ive had them for almost a year and they've never given me a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.