Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zack13532

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
When trying to partition my Hard Drive with Boot Camp, I get an error message after a while saying that it can't be partitioned because there is an error in the volume and that I should check it in Disk Utility. After running Verify Disk, it had told me that the file count was wrong and that I should repair my Disk. I have leopard installed, but only had access to a Tiger Install Disc, so after booting to that and apparently repairing successfully, I booted back onto my Hard Drive and ran Disk Utility's Verify Disk again. Now it said that my Volume Header needs minor repair. I still get the same message in Boot Camp. Running Verify and Repair Disk from the Tiger Install Disc tells me that everything is alright and the Hard Drive doesn' need repairing. I read on an Apple article that verifying a disk that's booted can produce inaccurate results, and that it shouldn't be worried about, but I can't install Windows because of this! What should I do?

bori

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Toronto
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But this is exactly the problem I'm having, and I have done the exact steps as the OP. Is there a solution out there that doesn't involve erasing everything?

Thanks

zack13532

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Sorry, I think my problem just went away after a while. You might want to boot into single user mode by holding cmd + 'S' while powering on your computer. Then type "fsck -yf" without the quotes after the text stops scrolling. Repeat until there are no more errors.

bori

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Toronto
I sorted this out by first using DiskWarrior to make the repair. Then I had to use iDefrag to defrag the disk because "some files could not be moved". And yay! Now I can use bootcamp!

Thanks anyways!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.