Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Pancakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I like to place folders in the sidebar under the "places" section when I use them alot. To get rid of them I just drag them out and they dissapear. But I deleted the folder of one of the items and now I am unable to click or right click on it to get it out of the places menu. It just says it cannot be found and then hangs for 10 seconds or so. Any ideas?

Metuas

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
You could try removing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist and relaunching Finder. I'm not sure if that will affect the sidebar.

Hybridair

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Removing stuck items from sidebar

In recent 10.6 releases the best way to remove things from the sidebar is to click drag the folder away then push the cmd key before letting go of the mouse.

chapasaurus

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
In recent 10.6 releases the best way to remove things from the sidebar is to click drag the folder away then push the cmd key before letting go of the mouse.

Ah! I've had about 7 things stuck in my Places sidebar for about 4 months now. Finally was able to find this and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot Hybridair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.