Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Hi: I'd really appreciate some good advice. Somehow while updating from PwnageTool_2.0.1 to PwnageTool_2.0.2 on an Intel Mac I got totally locked out of my 1rst generation iPhone. I'm pretty bummed. (Up until PwnageTool_2.0.2 everything worked great. i.e. PwnageTool_2.0 and PwnageTool_2.0.1)

The iPhone will turn on, but the screen shows a lock at the top, an image of a USB cable pointing to an iTunes icon and 'IMEI' with a bunch of numbers under it, and 'ICCD' with an even longer string of numbers underneath that. If I shut down the iPhone and restart It says the SIM is locked and when I key in the PIN, the iPhone is still in the state mentioned above. Whether I remove the SIM or leave it in and try to restore my old PwnageTool_2.0.1, iTunes states "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone."

Also, I went back to back to run PwnageTool_2.0.1 where everything worked and tried to restore back to iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347. It ran OK, but I'm still locked out.

I've been in forums and seen that some other folks have experienced what seem like similar problems, but as a read on, it appears that people are talking about problems and solution for Windows that won't help me and other Mac users. I'm new to this iPhone unlocking thing, but if anybody could tell me step by step how to unlock out/restore/start from scratch or point me to an address that explains what to do I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks cal6n, I'll check that site out.

Anybody else? I could really use some solid advice right now.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
If I were you, i'd put the phone into recovery mode and restore it. Other then that. You could also try using default passcodes like 1234 or 0000.
Good luck & post the outcome
-Matt

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
"If I were you, i'd put the phone into recovery mode and restore it. Other then that."

Matt, thanks for your thoughts but I've tried that many times in many differnet ways. With no luck. It seems to me with the iTunes statement "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone." Apple is doing an very intentional lock out. (of course I don't take it personally). But I guess I wonder why this happened to me (this time, after two very successful uses of Pwnage 2.0, and 2.0.1) and apparently few if any others.

BTW, can you explain what you mean when you wrote "You could also try using default passcodes like 1234 or 0000." ? I don't know what that means.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Its simple.

You locked your phone when you restored it.

Create a NEW custom firmware - make sure you click on unlock AND activate and the other relevent settings and restore again in DFU mode and it will work.

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
spinstorm:
"Its simple. You locked your phone when you restored it.
Create a NEW custom firmware - make sure you click on unlock AND activate and the other relevant settings and restore again in DFU mode and it will work."

spinstorm: Thanks for your input. I do see the a lock icon at the top of the iPhone screen. So you are giving me hope here. I'm sorry to ask what are probably basic questions— How do you think I locked my phone when I restored it (So I don't accidently do it again)? And how and where do I create a NEW custom firmware? Within Pwnage 2.0.2? And "make sure you click on unlock AND activate and the other relevant settings" Is that also within Pwnage 2.0.2? Is that done with the advanced (Einstein) button?

Again, I do appreciate your insights, I just sorry I don't know more about what you are suggesting.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Assuming you used pwnage then you either clicked "Yes" when it asked if you were a legitimate user OR you didn't select the custom firmware when your restored with iTunes.

Use pwnage 2.0.2 - run it in simple mode - when it asks if your legitimate then click on "NO" and it will unlock and activate your phone.

If you do not have the bootloader files it will ask for them. You can download them here:

http://www.enkrypted.com/bootloaders.rar

Extract them to a folder you can find easily so that if pwnagetool asks you where they are you can choose them easily.

Follow the easy wizard - its simple in pwnagetool.

Click on "No" when it asks if your phone has been pwned before.

Then follow the instructions for DFU mode - again in pwnagetool it tells you what to press and when.

Then iTunes will ask you to restore.

click on "alt" on your mac AND restore button in itunes and select the custom firmware you just made in pwnagetool.

Phone will restore and boot up and unlock and restart again and be working.

All this is in the FAQ - I really wish everyone would read it - its not hard and its not complicated!

PLEASE READ!

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
spinstorm
You wrote "All this is in the FAQ - I really wish everyone would read it - its not hard and its not complicated! PLEASE READ!"

Since you were kind enough to to take the time to help address my problems, I certainly don't want to get pissy here, but everything you just wrote (except holding the alt key), I did multiple times. I can read. I was able to successfully use Pwnage Tool 2.0 and 2.0.1 without any incident, so I'm not a complete idiot. But not everyone is a dedicated hacker. They just want a product free of onerous restrictions and to move on with their lives. Why after two successful runs of Pwnage Tool did the process lock my iPhone the third time? I don't know. That's why I ask questions— to learn so I don't make the same mistake next time.

I realize that you kind enough to donate your time and effort to help others and I am grateful as I know a great many others who come to this forum. I just ask you to remember when you were new to an endeavor and you realized you were over you head and need someone else's help. You know you messed up— you feel confused and stupid. It doesn't help anybody to tell them they're a lazy bum on top of it.

Anyway thanks for your help.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
If I were you, i'd put the phone into recovery mode and restore it. Other then that. You could also try using default passcodes like 1234 or 0000.
Good luck & post the outcome
-Matt

this advice makes no sense at all

put your phone in DFU mode NOT restore mode

open itunes, hold down option (for mac) or shift (for pc) and select your custom firmware generated from pwnage

it'll load, you'll be done

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
jeffmc:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Until setting up this post I did not really know about the 'option' custom firmware approach. I've give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks again for the posts.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008

open itunes, hold down option (for mac) or shift (for pc) and select your custom firmware generated from pwnage

I guess you haven't tried pwnage using Mac. In Mac, you won't have to put the phone in DFU mode, simple restore would do the trick.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL

Sorry if my post was not up to JeffMC's standards. lol.

Either Recovery mode or DFU would also suffice. I figured everybody has an idea what i was talking about. Anyways.......:D

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
I would second the idea of re-doing the firmware file...
I have t-mobile so when I was asked in pwnage tool if my phone was legit, i clicked no, which unlocks the phone and "activates it"..
Post your outcome!

yrag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
HEY— MY IPHONE IS WORKING AGAIN! THE LOCK HAS BEEN BROKEN!— AND I JUST WANT TO SEND OUT A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY WHO WROTE TO THIS THREAD TO HELP ME OUT!
(yes even to Drill Sargent spinstorm— he's gruff, but with a heart of gold. Hey when you're right, you're right!)

The solution? Just as some of you said—hold down th alt/option key when connecting to iTunes so that I could select the Custom_Restore.ipsw created in Pwnage 2.0.2.

THANKS AGAIN FOLKS! (I sleep tonight)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.