Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
PrinceDraven
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, UK
How to print specific size prints?

Sorry for what is probably a really dumb question, but..
I have had my iMac for only a few months, and have been getting into the photography side of things.
I recently started printing out my favorite pictures to put into photoframes.
I have a lot of frames that do not take standard size photo's, some 10cm by 10cm, some smaller etc.
I have a HP 717 photo printer which prints really nice quality pictures.

My question is, how can I select the photo i like and then print it in the size i want? (say 10cm x 10cm)

I have iPhoto, PSE, Photoshop CS.

Would like to do it from iPhoto if possible, but any help on any of the systems would be appreciated.


Thanks,
PrinceDraven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceDraven View Post
Sorry for what is probably a really dumb question, but..
I have had my iMac for only a few months, and have been getting into the photography side of things.
I recently started printing out my favorite pictures to put into photoframes.
I have a lot of frames that do not take standard size photo's, some 10cm by 10cm, some smaller etc.
I have a HP 717 photo printer which prints really nice quality pictures.

My question is, how can I select the photo i like and then print it in the size i want? (say 10cm x 10cm)

I have iPhoto, PSE, Photoshop CS.

Would like to do it from iPhoto if possible, but any help on any of the systems would be appreciated.


Thanks,
All printers are a little different, so test the settings out before printing, perhaps on a regular sheet of paper.

Anyways, it's pretty easy to print whatever size photo you want using iPhoto (BTW, which version of iPhoto do you have? Apple keeps changing the print dialog boxes). I can't comment on the other apps since I dont' use them.

Anyway, the first thing you can do is to crop the photo to the specific shape you're looking for. iPhoto allows you to constrain the ratio to the typical ratios (i.e. 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc) or a custom shape (e.g. square, etc).

Next, choose print and go through the settings for paper and such. If you don't crop your photos, you can constrain the print size to be whatever you want, but it has to be within the boundaries of the paper. For example, you can't print a 5x7 photo if you're printing to 4x6 paper.

The advantage of cropping prior to printing is that you can set the photo to crop out whatever you want. This way, every time you print that photo, it's going to be the same.

If you don't crop it and choose the size from the Print Window, you still get a chance to 'move' the photo around within the print border, but the crop points aren't saved, so if you want to print that exact photo again, you're SOL. The advantage is that the photo isn't edited, so if you use that photo in some other project, say a slide show or photo book, then those projects aren't affected.

Anyways, getting back to your original question, I would play around with the different settings in iPhoto and just have fun.

ft
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:03 AM   #3
PrinceDraven
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, UK
Thanks

Thanks for such a swift reply, I have tried cropping prior to printing, but the picture still formats itself for the 6x4 of the paper.
I am using the latest iPhoto (08?)
I think i can amend the settings for size of paper, but not sure how i adjust size of the printout on the paper. Does that make sense??
PrinceDraven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4
ftaok
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceDraven View Post
Thanks for such a swift reply, I have tried cropping prior to printing, but the picture still formats itself for the 6x4 of the paper.
I am using the latest iPhoto (08?)
I think i can amend the settings for size of paper, but not sure how i adjust size of the printout on the paper. Does that make sense??
I'm going on memory here, so I could have some of the details confused. So here goes.

If you crop your photos to a specific ratio (in this example, let's say you crop it as a square) prior to printing, it should go like this.

1. Choose your photo.

2. Select Print

3. In the dialog box that appears, there should be a box for "Customize". Select it.

4. In this new window, you should see several drop-down menus in the bottom right corner. First choose the correct paper size. Next, select the print size you want ... in this case, you'll be presented with: borderless, 3x5, 2x3, custom, etc. Choose custom.

5. A new window will come up to allow you to choose the exact size you want. Let's say you want 4x4. Just type in 4 for both the height and width.

That should get you what you want.

One thing to keep in mind ... I'm assuming that you're using a borderless printer. At least with my HP, when I select borderless, the crop you see on screen isn't exactly what will print. There's some overprinting to get the borderless setting correct.

Anyways, maybe someone else who has their Mac in front of them can correct any mistakes above.

ft
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 09:35 PM   #5
freewheeling
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Print a specific sized photo.

This seems like such a fundamental task that it would be close to automatic. Yet it appears to be impossible to take a photo and print it with a constrained width or length, either in Windows or on an Apple. I've used several programs to try this and they're impossibly convoluted, and simply don't do the task. Are programmers idiots? Why would it be so difficult to print out a specific sized photo?
freewheeling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 09:38 PM   #6
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
This seems like such a fundamental task that it would be close to automatic. Yet it appears to be impossible to take a photo and print it with a constrained width or length, either in Windows or on an Apple. I've used several programs to try this and they're impossibly convoluted, and simply don't do the task. Are programmers idiots? Why would it be so difficult to print out a specific sized photo?
I'm assuming the fault lies with the printers. There's probably not enough of a standard that you can get an exact size out of every printer, so there's not much use in trying.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7
freewheeling
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Print size

I'd settle for approximate. The problem is, the software just insists on printing it to whatever size it chooses, and there's just no way to make any adjustments. It just tries "approximate" the size of the paper. It's sort of amazing to me that after about five decades of software evolution things are still so non-intuitive.
freewheeling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:09 AM   #8
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Are programmers idiots? Why would it be so difficult to print out a specific sized photo?
Before questioning the abilities of computer software programmers, has it ever occurred to you that you may be at fault?

It is simple to crop any image to whatever size and then print it on paper to match that dimension. I often do it because not all photographs exactly fit "standard" paper sizes.

As you say, the procedure is pretty logical and automatic. From memory, it goes like this:-

1) Crop the image - noting the size of the new cropped image.
2) Go to print > page set up.
3) On this page, apart from the standard "A" sizes there will be facilities for setting a "custom size". Click on this and enter the dimensions of your newly cropped image. Save it - give it a name if you wish. It appears you haven't been doing this - remember, you have to "tell" the computer what size image to send to the printer!
4) Go back to "Print" and make sure your new measurements are correctly quoted under "Print size".
5) With paper in your printer - trimmed to the correct size! - click on "Print" and away you go!

All pretty logical really - good luck!
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:41 PM   #9
AlaskaMoose
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceDraven View Post
Thanks for such a swift reply, I have tried cropping prior to printing, but the picture still formats itself for the 6x4 of the paper.
I am using the latest iPhoto (08?)
I think i can amend the settings for size of paper, but not sure how i adjust size of the printout on the paper. Does that make sense??
Do you use PSE6 at all? With PSE6 you can print photos of standard sizes (2.12 x 2.1, 3 x 5, etc.), or you can change change the print size if you like. Best of all, you can edit the photo, and then print it.
__________________
iMac, and MacBook Pro.
Canon.
AlaskaMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:32 AM   #10
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMoose View Post
Do you use PSE6 at all? With PSE6 you can print photos of standard sizes (2.12 x 2.1, 3 x 5, etc.), or you can change change the print size if you like. Best of all, you can edit the photo, and then print it.
This applies to all graphic software.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:05 AM   #11
AlaskaMoose
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
This applies to all graphic software.
That's true, but between iPhoto and PSE6 I prefer the latter.
__________________
iMac, and MacBook Pro.
Canon.
AlaskaMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:23 PM   #12
name99
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Before questioning the abilities of computer software programmers, has it ever occurred to you that you may be at fault?

It is simple to crop any image to whatever size and then print it on paper to match that dimension. I often do it because not all photographs exactly fit "standard" paper sizes.

As you say, the procedure is pretty logical and automatic. From memory, it goes like this:-

1) Crop the image - noting the size of the new cropped image.
2) Go to print > page set up.
3) On this page, apart from the standard "A" sizes there will be facilities for setting a "custom size". Click on this and enter the dimensions of your newly cropped image. Save it - give it a name if you wish. It appears you haven't been doing this - remember, you have to "tell" the computer what size image to send to the printer!
4) Go back to "Print" and make sure your new measurements are correctly quoted under "Print size".
5) With paper in your printer - trimmed to the correct size! - click on "Print" and away you go!

All pretty logical really - good luck!
You do realize that what you are saying does NOTHING to actually deal with the problem.
The problem is --- for whatever reasons I may have, I want to print an image to take up, say, 1.5in x 2.0in on a page. Maybe, for example, I want to print a single passport photo, or a contact sheet of visa photos?
There appears to be no way, within the software he is describing, of stating "I want the PRINTED version of this photo occupy so much space on the page".

Telling him he can easily scale a photo to some random paper size is NOT answering the question.
name99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:25 PM   #13
mofunk
macrumors 65832
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Americas
easy solution is use Image Capture. Everything is in there to resize your photos.
mofunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:04 PM   #14
RickKC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
1

Last edited by RickKC; Mar 3, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
RickKC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:10 AM   #15
initialsBB
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Isn't this tied to both photo and printer resolution ? I think printers have vastly different resolutions.

Let's say your printer is 300dpi, and you want a 10 inch wide square print, you have to set up your photo into a 3000 pixel wide document, at least that's how I understand it.
initialsBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I make a Window ALWAYS open in a specific size? Brian Mage OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 14 Sep 2, 2014 05:52 PM
Incorrect print preview and shifty prints - MBP 15 retina BadMed Mac Basics and Help 1 Dec 17, 2013 08:47 AM
Print Size on 27 inch screen bgsnmky iMac 5 Jan 28, 2013 01:35 PM
Open Terminal With Specific Size And Location sfordjasiri Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Nov 7, 2012 11:26 PM
How do I print a PDF at actual size? JanetMermaid Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jun 19, 2012 10:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC