Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackSpearo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
can't connect to wifi...I've tried for 2 days at two different locations, everyone else can get on (pc's and macs) but my iphone 3g won't connect

any ideas?

Jack

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
can't connect to wifi...I've tried for 2 days at two different locations, everyone else can get on (pc's and macs) but my iphone 3g won't connect

any ideas?

Jack

Is WiFi turned on? It would help if you could give us a bit more info.

JackSpearo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
of course the wifi is turned on...

it just won't connect, it says it is connected, but it won't go anywhere...first time it has done this

ckhris

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I had the same problem and researched the crap out of it with no luck on ideas. I have a linksys and what finally worked for me is I did a firmware update on the router. There are a lot of suggestions on fixes out there, google your router name and iphone.

shakkott

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
I had the same problem. After much playing around, I found that I had problems with dns on the iphone. I managed to fix this by using opendns.org on my router. You can do this by using the following static dns addresses on your router:

Additionally, on your iphone, add 192.168.0.1 as the first dns server (this ensures that your iphone queries your home wireless router first).

Hope this helps.
Sanjay

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
of course the wifi is turned on...

it just won't connect, it says it is connected, but it won't go anywhere...first time it has done this

I wasn't being funny but sometimes the simplest of things is usually the problem. :p

Without any information from you its hard for anyone else to diagnose the problem.

Do what shakkott says and see if that helps. If not come back and give us some more info so we can help you.

JackSpearo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
thanks!

but I just don't get why it has worked since July 11th, and now it doesn't :-(...

droeun

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
I had the same issue - I reset all settings (can probably get away with just network settings) and it worked immediately afterwards.

JackSpearo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
droe and jwages, thanks so much! it worked!

( I reset only the network settings )

tuknaits

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
wifi problem

i am having a particularly annoying problem with my jailbroken iphone 3G.. my laptop is connected to the wifi network but my iphone though shows connected doesnt get thru to the internet..
Please help.. have done hard reset n reset the network settings
Help

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
i am having a particularly annoying problem with my jailbroken iphone 3G.. my laptop is connected to the wifi network but my iphone though shows connected doesnt get thru to the internet..
Please help.. have done hard reset n reset the network settings
Help

Try a restore with iTunes or unplugging your wireless router and plugging it back in after a few minutes.

Also, the video below has to do with iPhone 3G WiFi issues and is purely for entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1azZWWkmSg

:D

whc23863

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
I had the same problem; noticed some of the settings under DHCP didn't make sense, so I did the following:

Click on "Forget this network"
Turned off wifi (on the phone)
turned on wifi
reconnected to the network

After doing this the settings under DHCP were correct and everything worked as expected.

I also experimented with "Renew Lease" on the DHCP section -- but that didn't seem to have an impact.

tomtom101

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
The Wifi on my 3G stopped working for the last year of having it!! I personally blamed it on the battery and the phone getting old!

d3vilsp4wn

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
3G wi-fi

I had the same issue and after resetting my iphone wi-fi settings didn't help i noticed that the keys provided by my linksys router had a priority (one of them was the default key) so i set up using the default key instead of one of the others provided and it worked instantly

HazzerHarry

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Reset the network settings!

Droeun Thank You soo much i was thinking of getting it fixed but resetting the network settings works! Thank You!:D

melvinabundo

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Thanks droeun!

I had the same issue - I reset all settings (can probably get away with just network settings) and it worked immediately afterwards.

Thanks droeun! This worked like a charm on my jailbroken ios 5 iphone 3gs. :)

medzidi

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
iphone 3g won't connect to wifi.

hi everybody i have iPhone 3G my firmware 4.1 and the prog du modem 6.15 in the begun my iPhone connect with WiFi but one day have problem in WiFi ,my iPhone connect to the WiFi but suddenly disconnect not in the WiFi home but in all WiFi .I didn't know what the problem . help me if you have any ideas bye.

chaoscase

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
i know the real fix for this

doing this single trick ive fixed 3 different problems with my iphone 3g and before i tell you my exact words when i fixed were it "Eureka i did it" so when i become a legend that shall be my famous quote, but anyway all you gotta do is take out your sim card and throw it on your front lawn alot of times, trust me it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.