Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144759-palringo_220.png

For those still looking for a free Instant Messaging alternative to AOL's AIM [Free, App Store] and Twenty08's MobileChat [$2.99, App Store] should take a look at Palringo [Free, App Store].

The application has just been updated to version 1.1 and offers compatibility with multiple service providers including:

- AIM
- Google Talk
- Yahoo! Messenger
- Gadu Gadu
- Windows Live Messenger

One minor disadvantage with Palringo is the need to create a Palringo specific login in order to use the application. Forum user trunksu has posted a FAQ detailing some of the differences between the apps.

Article Link

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
The Palringo specific login is similar to the Meebo specific login. It's a way to have a single sign on and log into multiple IM services at once. I don't see this as a disadvantage at all.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
***** 5 Stars

Great app, works exactly like MobileChat. I can send pictures!! You also stay logged in as long as the app is opened and no one calls you.

websyndicate

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
Spokane Valley,WA
iChat

Totally didnt like the service. The software was really buggy. I have the new mobile chat that was released the other day and if did work I could say I like it but it has been down since I downloaded it.I just need iChat straight up. Can I get an AMEN?

Also the setting up of my accounts if horrible the interface well just plain sucks.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
When mobilechat works, you wont have to be in the app to stay online. The server will keep you logged in.

stilesja@us.ibm

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2004
IM is kind of pointless in General without the push notification service. MobileChat actually takes a stab at this although its not working for the time being but SMS or email is a sub-par way to handle this. Once the notification service comes live I think we well see some really innovative apps come online. Until then chat applications are not that great.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
i just downloaded palringo and cannot connect to any other IM services... i click add service and then put in my email and password for that service and it tries to do something but fails and nothing ends up happening

Los Royers

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
same here, tells me incorrect password, when its correct, tried multiple times. Trying to add yahoo. AIM did connect though

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
i just downloaded palringo and cannot connect to any other IM services... i click add service and then put in my email and password for that service and it tries to do something but fails and nothing ends up happening

yeah, this is the reason I deleted it when it first came out. sounds like the update isn't fixing this issue.
On another comment, I agree that IM is kinda useless until apple allows push for apps.

arjaosx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
New Zealand
I'm happier with my non-working copy of MobileChat than I am with Parlingo. The interface alone is worth $3.

Actually I'd prefer Adium. iChat is useless for most as nobody outside of the US uses AIM.

iChat is not exclusive to AIM, I use iChat over my Google Talk account and it works fine, but id mych prefer Skype for video calls.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
its just a bit buggy for my tastes. making it ofcourse cheaper for a reason

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
i like aim alot better, palringo makes you sign up for their service, which is free but not necessary. id use mobilechat... interface is like comparing MS-DOS to Leopard. Miles away. Lol.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
If that were the case then it wouldn't be separate on your bill.
I think he meant all the instant messaging apps are using data, not that SMS and data are both data.

The apps don't use SMS, none of them have, and if anyone's getting charged for SMS something seriously weird and wrong is happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.