Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
bob2131
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
best trackball mouse for mac? trackpad = RSI?

hi, just bought a macbook.
on pc i use logitech trackball mouse.
(as normal mice hurt my wrist)
apple dont make a trackball mouse do they?

and ive never understood wireless mice.
they take batteries.
so say if on christmas day the battery runs out.
shops are closed. so you cant use your mouse?
wire is more reliable.

so all you trackball mouse users........which one is best for you?

is macbook laptop trackpad good for wrist? or does it promote
RSI?? ?

thanks.
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:38 AM   #2
super_kev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I really like the Kingsington Expert Mouse, and mine came with a trackpad.
__________________
Macologist.org - Providing the Mac gaming world with the best PC mods and in-depth reviews. *RIP* 2004-2009
super_kev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 03:12 AM   #3
scottydawg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to scottydawg
I have been using the Kensington Expert mouse for over 10 years and love it. I have everyone in my office using it now too. Programing the top left button for going back on Safari is really nice .
__________________
Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
scottydawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:39 AM   #4
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
yeah im gonna maybe get taht mouse.............

good for less strain on wrist right???

have you seen the logitech trackball.......the one with the ball in the middle........
so you can use it with left and right hands.

the kensington mosoue you guys are talking about...........can you use it with left and right hands??? does it come with software where you can customise the button function????

cheers
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_kev View Post
I really like the Kingsington Expert Mouse, and mine came with a trackpad.
trackpad? like a separate thing?? got a pic??
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:12 PM   #6
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
is it possible to get a trackball mouse but with also a scroll wheel???

i have a trackball mouse but i miss the scroll wheel of my old mouse. so easy to go up and down a page.
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Randman
macrumors 65816
 
Randman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Fla
Logitech Optical Trackman.
__________________
This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
Randman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:56 PM   #8
MichelleAK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Anchorage, AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
is it possible to get a trackball mouse but with also a scroll wheel???

i have a trackball mouse but i miss the scroll wheel of my old mouse. so easy to go up and down a page.
My Kensington trackball mouse has a scroll wheel (it encircles the ball).

Answering another question, the Kensington I have has the ball in the middle, so you can use it left- or right-handed. (It's the four-button version.)
MichelleAK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:07 PM   #9
nanofrog
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
yeah im gonna maybe get taht mouse.............

good for less strain on wrist right???

have you seen the logitech trackball.......the one with the ball in the middle........
so you can use it with left and right hands.

the kensington mosoue you guys are talking about...........can you use it with left and right hands??? does it come with software where you can customise the button function????

cheers
Do your need one specifically for left hand, or multiple users requiring both L and R hand operation?
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:10 PM   #10
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAK View Post
My Kensington trackball mouse has a scroll wheel (it encircles the ball).

Answering another question, the Kensington I have has the ball in the middle, so you can use it left- or right-handed. (It's the four-button version.)
the optical expert mouse?
http://uk.kensington.com/html/7843.html
i cant see a scroll wheel on it.....
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:11 PM   #11
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofrog View Post
Do your need one specifically for left hand, or multiple users requiring both L and R hand operation?
i want to use it with both left and right hands.....

ideally i would use just the right hand, but im starting to get wrist pain in my right hand/wrist/arm......

i tend to swap hands for the mouse, to even it out a bit.....it helps.
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:14 PM   #12
nanofrog
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
the optical expert mouse?
http://uk.kensington.com/html/7843.html
i cant see a scroll wheel on it.....
It's the black ring around the ball. Look under features.
Quote:
Award-winning Scroll Ring™ provides super smooth navigation


I also have problems with my right wrist (CTS). I've had no problems when I switched to the Logitech Trackman. Mice still cause pain, as did the center located trackball units I tried.

If you don't already have one, get a good wrist brace. I think you will find it's your friend.

Check out some of the ergonomic peripheral sites. "ergonomic keyboard" usually does the trick. Look at keyboards, etc. You'll get a good idea of what may help.

This site may help you get started. http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergo.htm

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nanofrog; Aug 31, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:15 PM   #13
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
http://uk.kensington.com/html/14022.html

this one....the ball.....is this like a scroll wheel? or the ball jsut for the pointer on screen?



i purely want scroll wheel to go up and down the page, like this page, now
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:16 PM   #14
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofrog View Post
It's the black ring around the ball. Look under features.

so....would you scroll down the page, with a finger ANYWHERE on the ring? or would you have to use a finger on either side to scroll?? so two fingers to scroll?
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:23 PM   #15
nanofrog
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
so....would you scroll down the page, with a finger ANYWHERE on the ring? or would you have to use a finger on either side to scroll?? so two fingers to scroll?
IIRC, it rotates clockwise & counter clockwise, and would only use a single finger.

I edited my previous post, so there may be something that helps.
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:16 PM   #16
MichelleAK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Anchorage, AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofrog View Post
IIRC, it rotates clockwise & counter clockwise, and would only use a single finger.

I edited my previous post, so there may be something that helps.
It does go both clockwise and counterclockwise, so you only need one finger (I generally use my middle or ring finger). And it's grooved, so you can use just a fingernail if you want.
MichelleAK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:19 PM   #17
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofrog View Post
It's the black ring around the ball. Look under features.



I also have problems with my right wrist (CTS). I've had no problems when I switched to the Logitech Trackman. Mice still cause pain, as did the center located trackball units I tried.

If you don't already have one, get a good wrist brace. I think you will find it's your friend.

Check out some of the ergonomic peripheral sites. "ergonomic keyboard" usually does the trick. Look at keyboards, etc. You'll get a good idea of what may help.

This site may help you get started. http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergo.htm

Hope this helps.
yeah its a serious problem. thanks for that help.
ever since i got the pain, i learnt techniques to ease it, and they worked, like using left hand, using trackball. at work they bought me a trackball for the right hand, logitech, but the ball is only controllable with the thumb, so the thumb gets easily strained. at home i have a ball in the middle mouse. so i can switch hands. i think ball in the middle is best. as you can use your whole arm to control it, via hand of course, but using arm movement.

wrist brace? what does that do? where from? jonny greenwood from radiohead used to wear one....for guitar playing......

keyboards and typing are not the problem i think. its just mouse usage for me.

ok cheers for that anyway.
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:23 PM   #18
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAK View Post
It does go both clockwise and counterclockwise, so you only need one finger (I generally use my middle or ring finger). And it's grooved, so you can use just a fingernail if you want.
kinda like an ipod wheel???

is it easy to scroll with it? compared to a conventional scroll wheel?
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:31 PM   #19
nanofrog
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
wrist brace? what does that do? where from? jonny greenwood from radiohead used to wear one....for guitar playing......

ok cheers for that anyway.
The wrist brace helps immobilize the wrist, and maintain a neutral position to eliminate stress/strain on the median nerve.

An example wrist brace (most common used AFIAK). You're doctor can help with proper selection, depending on the exact diagnosis.

This and proper habits work best. Better than meds or surgery, and is prescribed in conjunction with one or both anyway.

BTW, you don't need a prescription for the brace, but a physician usually writes for one to make sure of the proper type. Check out local medical supply shops, and try them on.
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:55 PM   #20
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofrog View Post
The wrist brace helps immobilize the wrist, and maintain a neutral position to eliminate stress/strain on the median nerve.

An example wrist brace (most common used AFIAK). You're doctor can help with proper selection, depending on the exact diagnosis.

This and proper habits work best. Better than meds or surgery, and is prescribed in conjunction with one or both anyway.

BTW, you don't need a prescription for the brace, but a physician usually writes for one to make sure of the proper type. Check out local medical supply shops, and try them on.
CTS same thing as RSI? i dont know what it is ive got, ive never been to doctor about it, just internet reserach and tips to lessen the stress on wrist muscles.

AFIAK?

so you wear the wrist support when you use the computer??

shall i just buy one, or go to doctor?
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:11 PM   #21
nanofrog
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
CTS same thing as RSI? i dont know what it is ive got, ive never been to doctor about it, just internet reserach and tips to lessen the stress on wrist muscles.
RSI = Repetitive Strain Injury (It covers a broad spectrum of strain related problems).
CTS = Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (A specific diagnosis).

There are quite a few, and each is slightly different. As a result, specifics of the treatment may differ. Sometimes not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
AFIAK?
Most of the wrist related injuries I've seen use this brace. I have seen one or two people use a variant. (Not sure what the specific diagnosis was).
So someone with Tendinitis (tendinopathy is currently used term) and CTS for example, would wear the same brace. In fact, I was repetitively diagnosed with Tendinitis before the nerve conduction testing was performed. After that, they changed the diagnosis to CTS. The only thing that changed as far as treatment, was the offer of surgery. At the time, I was too young. It has to be repeated, and scar tissue develops to the point of permanent paralysis. I dealt with that for a brief time, and have no wish to repeat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
so you wear the wrist support when you use the computer??
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
shall i just buy one, or go to doctor?
Go see the doctor. It's way too important to ignore.
nanofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:30 PM   #22
MichelleAK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Anchorage, AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2131 View Post
kinda like an ipod wheel???

is it easy to scroll with it? compared to a conventional scroll wheel?
Yup, pretty similar, although the scroll wheel on the mouse physically moves. I find it really easy to use--you can go slowly or quickly, and if you want to go down a whole page, give it a strong downward push; the wheel will keep spinning a bit, depending on how hard you "push". Plus, with the software included, you can program the wheel to scroll from "very slow" to "very fast," and you can even turn off the scrolling if you wish.
MichelleAK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 05:46 PM   #23
bob2131
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
bought the expert mouse.....gonna sell it on ebay......not good.....too big and stiff.......the amount of pressure it takes for a mouse click is way too much........

are exercises good? for wrist and lower arm strengthing? for people who have pain in wrists from computer usage?
i dont know if i should be doing weights or light exercises to strengthen it up.
bob2131 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RSI? Should I Move from Magic Mouse to Magic Trackpad? ryan101 iMac 14 Aug 23, 2013 05:11 AM
Ejecting USB mouse / trackball SpokaneJim MacBook Pro 8 Dec 27, 2012 01:09 PM
Mouse vs. Trackball: The Ultimate Showdown monkeyking0 Mac Peripherals 7 Sep 11, 2012 01:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC