Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abohak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Hello,

I have many years of object oriented programming experience on the major platforms. I need to create an application for my iPhone G3. I've downloaded the development SDK and have successfully generated a few demo applications, so now I am working on my real applicatilon which is based upon the standard tabbed application project generation selection. There are 4 xib files: MainWindow, tabbed view A, tabbed view B, and the view that I want to transition to collect starting and ending times. I am using Interface Builder for designing my views.

My application has a tabbed control bar with three buttons. When the middle tabbed control bar button is pressed, the correct view is displayed and on it is a button. When the button is pressed, I want to transition to another view so I can gather some information from the user and then return to the previous view. Right now, with all of the code commented out, when the button is pressed, a runtime exception is generated:

"unrecognized selector sent to instance XXXX 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: [UIViewController handleStartEndTimeButton] unrecognized selector sent."

- (IBAction) handleStartEndTimeButton:(id) sender

{
// StartEndTimeViewController *modalStartEndTimeViewController = [[[StartEndTimeViewController alloc]
// initWithNibName: nil bundle:nil] autorelease];
// UINavigationController *modalStartEndTimeNavigationController = [[UINavigationController alloc]
// initWithRootViewController:modalStartEndTimeViewController];
// [self.navigationController
// presentModalViewController:modalStartEndTimeNavigationController animated:YES];
}

Interface Builder shows that the button is connected to my handler function.

I have two questions:

(1) What am I doing wrong with my handler function? Why is an exception generated when the button is pressed? I have three ViewController classes: AViewController, BViewController, and StartEndTimeViewController. BViewController is the one that has the button handler function in it. Do I need to create instances of these ViewController classes? In InterfaceBuilder, I told it which XIB to use with each tabbed button. My gut tells me that I need to create an instance of my ViewControllers somewhere, but where?

(2) Okay, so let's say that we have resolved the issue in item #1. What code do I need to put into the handler function to create the view and show it? I have included what I think will work in the handler function that I showed earlier... Am I close?

I REALLY, REALLY appreciate any guidance!

Thanks!

Mike [/SIZE][/FONT]

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I think somehow your connection in IB is messed up. The error shows the selector as "[UIViewController handleStartEndTimeButton]" but you have it defined as handleStartEndTimeButton: - notice the semicolon? handleStartEndTimeButton is different from handleStartEndTimeButton:

sujithkrishnan

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2008
Bangalore
I think somehow your connection in IB is messed up. The error shows the selector as "[UIViewController handleStartEndTimeButton]" but you have it defined as handleStartEndTimeButton: - notice the semicolon? handleStartEndTimeButton is different from handleStartEndTimeButton:

Can u tell the difference between both methods ???
If different how can i call both differently????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.