Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
For some reason the ".?123" key for entering numbers no longer works on my iPod Touch. Has anyone else run into this problem?

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
More info

Not sure what you mean by firmware, but the 2.0 upgrade was installed, but no mods of any (other) kind installed.

I've installed a number of free apps, so unless someone has a quick fix, I guess I'll just have to uninstall each of those apps in reverse order and then see if I'm able to enter numbers again.

To be more specific about my problem, when I get the login screen for the App Store, pressing the ".?123" key doesn't display the numeric keyboard, it seems to highlight the 'up-arrow'/shift key. And pressing the space bar doesn't add a space to the textbox for entering your password, it ends up displaying one of the letters in the last row of the keyboard. Pressing the 'return' key has the effect of pressing the delete key above it. Very weird.

whoa, wait can we get some more info first?
what firmware, any mods installed...jailbroken

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
strange.. try powering on the ipod again. hold the home and sleep/wake button until the screen is blank. then press the sleep/wake button again to power it on. if that doesn't work, restore the ipod.

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I tried that, but it didn't work. Guess I'll have to start uninstalling apps and see if I can enter numbers again after each uninstall.

strange.. try powering on the ipod again. hold the home and sleep/wake button until the screen is blank. then press the sleep/wake button again to power it on. if that doesn't work, restore the ipod.

asskick3r

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
"Somewhere ... In las vegas"
Isn't there a screen calibration test somewhere?
Like for example... The DS has a setting option to calibrate the touchscreen.
Apple should Add this in the settings menu In the next update So people don't rush to conclusions and restore; therefore losing all they had on there Ipod.

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
There may be such a test, but I haven't found it, blarrgh.

Isn't there a screen calibration test somewhere?
Like for example... The DS has a setting option to calibrate the touchscreen.
Apple should Add this in the settings menu In the next update So people don't rush to conclusions and restore; therefore losing all they had on there Ipod.

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Update

Ok, I've uninstalled all the (free) apps I installed previously, and even rebooted, but that hasn't fixed the problem. Nor has going into General Settings and clicking the 'Reset All Settings' and 'Reset Keyboard Dictionary' buttons.

I can only think of two other things to try:

1) Download and install the 2.0.1 update, and failing that,
2) Just take my iPod Touch to the local Apple Store to see if someone there can fix my problem.

Blarrgh. Maybe I shoulda gotten a Nokia N810 instead. :p

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
SnowLeopard, when you say "restore the ipod", do you mean erase everything (i.e., content and settings) on it?

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Another update

Ok, I erased everything and got the 2.0.1 update. Still can't enter numbers. Blarrgh.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears/eyes.

YouArentJ

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Orlando
My first iPhone had to be returned because the middle of the screen (4, 5, & 6 on the phone dialogue) had become unresponsive. When you're scrolling in Safari, does the screen become "jumpy" when you reach that area?

aroc725

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Nope.

I've decided to mail my iPod Touch to Apple, they'll either repair it or replace it. Installing the 2.0.2 update didn't fix the problem, no surprise there.

My first iPhone had to be returned because the middle of the screen (4, 5, & 6 on the phone dialogue) had become unresponsive. When you're scrolling in Safari, does the screen become "jumpy" when you reach that area?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.