Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

MacWorld Expo Photos of the iPod Mini

Category: Photos
Link: MacWorld Expo Photos of the iPod Mini

Macitynet.it has posted an iPod Mini photo gallery from MacWorld Expo. The photos help illustrate thesmall size of the new iPod Minis.

In an MSNBC article Steve Jobs suggests that he thinks "one of the biggest customers for the mini is going to be current owners buying a second iPod. They're going to have both -- when I go on a trip I take my whole library with my iPod and when I go to the gym I take the mini."

Last edited by arn; Jan 8, 2004 at 04:23 PM.
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:17 PM   #2
AirUncleP
macrumors regular

I consider myself a mac guy all the way and I don't have any size iPod. Donations accepted.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:18 PM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

"one of the biggest customers for the mini is going to be current owners buying a second iPod. They're going to have both -- when I go on a trip I take my whole library with my iPod and when I go to the gym I take the mini."

No, i don't think so. The size difference is just not that significant.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

Would be nice, but I don't have the cash. Tell ya what, Stevie-boy, lower it to $199 and I'll think about it.
Hemingray is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:23 PM   #5
LaughingMan
macrumors newbie

Definitely smaller than I expected...

Just like with my first experience with the original iPod, I imagined this thing to be much bigger than it really is, and seeing it compared next to my Sony Ericsson phone really drives that home... smaller in every dimension other than width.

Say what you will about pricing... i'll agree its not the best value, but the new iPod Mini looks very nice and is TINY.
LaughingMan is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Nebrie
macrumors 6502a

That is exactly how I planned to use my ipods when I ordered them
Nebrie is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:25 PM   #7
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
yep...

I think there is value for a smaller iPod.... some people want ultra portability. This is very small... more "pocketable" than even the 3rd gen iPods.

4GB is still a lot of music.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:27 PM   #8
elgruga
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by QCassidy352
" The size difference is just not that significant.
I beg to differ - the difference has me ordering a mini as soon as they reach these frozen wastes - and I already have a 10 gig regular.

Compared to my other pocket electronics, the regular ipod is the biggest. My Motorola (yes, those same guys) V66 is way smaller than the ipod, and I want a mini to be the same.

This aint about logic - perhaps it should be.......
elgruga is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:29 PM   #9
Mr.Hey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
yep...

I think there is value for a smaller iPod.... some people want ultra portability. This is very small... more "pocketable" than even the 3rd gen iPods.

4GB is still a lot of music.

arn
I concur.
Mr.Hey is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:31 PM   #10
AirUncleP
macrumors regular

When I showed my middle school students the iPod mini, " cool " was the response. When I talked about price and size and capacity they all said they wanted the mini. Some even said they'd ask their parents for one. Did Apple miss the Xmas, excuse me, holiday season on this one?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:34 PM   #11
elgruga
macrumors 6502

Just looked at the pictures - yes, I know I should have done that before posting.

WOW!

Its so beautiful next to the phone!
Got to have one.
Well, I dont drink or smoke, or do drugs, and I figure this is a fairly harmless addiction......and only $320 CAD!
elgruga is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:36 PM   #12
Stoffel
macrumors member

They should have introduced the mini iPods last year. It would have been the perfect christmas gift.

However, I do not think, that 2nd gen ipod users will buy a mini one. It is just way to expensive.
Stoffel is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:40 PM   #13
Superdrive
macrumors 6502a

These look much cooler than in the Apple galleries! My 10GB (2G) will have a new baby soon. I will get one after the price drop, or perhaps the 2G mini. This is good stuff.
Superdrive is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:42 PM   #14
arn
macrumors god

I guess you do tend to pay for smaller consumer electronics.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:45 PM   #15
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by QCassidy352
"one of the biggest customers for the mini is going to be current owners buying a second iPod. They're going to have both -- when I go on a trip I take my whole library with my iPod and when I go to the gym I take the mini."

No, i don't think so. The size difference is just not that significant.
Nor is the price difference. Steve's on crack, or something. 2GB at $149 he might be right. But not at current cap/price.
Le Big Mac is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:46 PM   #16
hokka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
I guess you do tend to pay for smaller consumer electronics.

arn
Yep! Just look at all the Sony's portable offerings (laptops included)
hokka is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:47 PM   #17
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally posted by Hemingray
Would be nice, but I don't have the cash. Tell ya what, Stevie-boy, lower it to $199 and I'll think about it.
Amen. I'll get a 60GB, oops not out yet, before I get a $250 4GB iPod mini

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:49 PM   #18
TMay
macrumors 65816

birthdays

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoffel
They should have introduced the mini iPods last year. It would have been the perfect christmas gift.

However, I do not think, that 2nd gen ipod users will buy a mini one. It is just way to expensive.
In the next 3 months, 25% of the world population (approximately) will have birthdays, weddings, retirements, and who knows what else. In the U.S., I would consider $250 for a gift to be excessive, but, then again, I'm not the father of a teenage girl (or boy for that matter).
TMay is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 04:52 PM   #19
Kingsnapped
macrumors 6502a

Apple's strategy.

Dont' you think Apple knows that this will be a massive holiday seller? They didn't want to take any thunder from the current iPod, so they held on to this until Macworld. By doing this, they can charge more, then drop prices or release another one in time for summer. By the time the next holidays roll around, they can have the price closer to $170-ish... as well as a lot of word of mouth about how great the iPod minis are. If they were relased in say, early November, there wouldn't be time for a price drop, and people wouldn't have had time for their friends and family to beg for them.
Kingsnapped is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:06 PM   #20
lem0nayde
macrumors regular

I'm just not getting the appeal of these mini iPods either. I was looking forward to them, hoping to maybe get one for someone for their birthday - expecting them to be like $150 and use older small harddrives with less capacity.

I think Steve Jobs' argument for the audience is weak at best. I mean, do people really care THAT much about size? You'd have to be a very foolish consumer to choose a mini iPod over a regular iPod.

The only difference is a meager .5" height .4" width and .12" depth and the aesthetic appearance.

For $50 more you get 11GB more space!!! And the only drawback is you have to carry around an ipod that is a tiny bit bigger and a whopping 2 oz. heavier. Oh, and it looks better!!! Darn.

Where is the appeal?

Aside from all that, I personally thing the new minis are ugly. The metallic colors are unnattractive and the silver is OK but not nearly as sharp as the white. They look like the kind of junk other companies make.

I think unless the price drops significantly, this product will be the G4 Cube of the digital music sector.

Sorry Apple, I love ya - but sometimes ya just don't make no sense.
lem0nayde is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:07 PM   #21
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Originally posted by lem0nayde

The only difference is a meager .5" height .4" width and .12" depth and the aesthetic appearance.
Actually, I would argue that at these sizes .5" inch differences are more significant then at larger sizes.

Just think about all the cell phones out there... and even one that's only slightly bigger makes a big diff in your pocket.

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:10 PM   #22
blueBomber
macrumors regular

sigh... just when I was getting set in my ways of swearing off the mini as a failure, these pictures make me fall in love with the stupid thing.
blueBomber is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:12 PM   #23
bdkennedy1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Did Apple miss the Xmas, excuse me, holiday season on this one?
How did they miss the holiday season? There's another one 11 months from now.
bdkennedy1 is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:13 PM   #24
snofseth
macrumors member

I also think the new minis r ugly and funny looking I would like them to make the 40 the same size as the 20 and 15 that would be nice. But I have a question I would like to ask. What is the advantage of having an Xserve over individual macs I dont really understand the whole use of servers? can someone please explain this please.
snofseth is offline   0
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:13 PM   #25
IIvan
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to IIvan
I have used older ipods, and I would bet that that new aluminum finish is stronger, resists scratching better, and gives the player a less fragile feel. Plus IMO it looks alot better
IIvan is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion