Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to export email addresses from Mail? (2.1 using 10.4.11)

We ran a competition on our website but need a way to transform the entries into list form.

Mail must store them somewhere to use for its auto-fill feature.
Is it possible to extract these addresses?

We used to use Quickmail in the past which had a simple option to harvest all mail addresses for a particular inbox/outbox etc...

Thanks,
Ben

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
In the Window menu, click on Previous Recipients. Select and add to your Address Book as desired. This is based on my Leopard version of Mail, so hopefully it'll work for you too. Good luck! :)

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
In the Window menu, click on Previous Recipients. Select and add to your Address Book as desired. This is based on my Leopard version of Mail, so hopefully it'll work for you too. Good luck! :)

Aha!
That'll do it nicely.

Many thanks for that.

Ben

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
I just had a poke around with it and unfortunately it doesn't let you select only mail from a particular inbox, or to export to a new address book.

Looks like someone (probably me!) will end up sorting through the 4000ish mails to pick out only the ones needed.
I think I'll need to backup my existing address book then wipe it, import the new set and export it before importing my back up.

Could be implemented much better but it's better than manually typing out a few thousand mail addresses!

Thanks again,
Ben

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Can you export to a group, or even export and then add all recent import to a group? That may save you the hassle of backing up and then restoring your current addresses. Having said that, back them up anyhow.

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
I've just tried a few trials and address book doesn't recognise addresses imported through the 'previous recipients' menu in its 'last import' section.

Maybe there is another way to view recently added contacts and I'm just not looking hard enough!

Thanks again,
Ben

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Even after restarting Address Book? Maybe it is a good idea to clear your Address Book data then. It'll mean all the addresses added are from Mail. It sounds like a bitch of a job. I hope you get it done soon. :eek:

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Oh dear...

We just tried to get this done and it seems the previous recipients list is people who have previously received mail from us, not mail we have previously received (as the name would suggest)

So I guess we're back to square 1 trying to find a way to extract the mail addresses of RECEIVED mail from an account in order to collate this mailing list.

Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Ben

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Can you put all these contest-related emails into a Smart Folder or (regular) Folder in Mail.app, then go through each one, click on the name of the sender (or the menu arrow beside the name), and select "Add to Address Book" from the menu? You'd still have to do it all manually, but at least you don't have to sift through every single email you have received for contest-related emails.

wilkij86

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
Found! How to do it!

Been searching this afternoon for an easy way to extract email addresses from emails I've received in Mail. There is a small programme available on the Apple website which lets you do it. It's distributed over shareware, and you can only extract the first 100 addresses before you have to pay 20 euros, but seems a price worth paying for the hours it saves you.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/emailextractor.html

It's zinging through my emails now!

hollyhalo

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
Help with extracting from MacMAIL

I was using MaxProg Bulk mailer and lost everything after two weeks work.
I now have extractor, HOW is it 'zinging' through your mails?
I have folders within folders, in the MacMail program, not all in my inbox, but a whole system in place.
I cannot export to Bulk Mailer unless they are in ROOT folders, so I have to go to a folder, drag it into a temp root folder and then import.
I just spent two weeks doing this, only to then tidy up the files in MaxProg Bulk Mailer and then lose the lot.(a whole other drama)
SO:
HOW can I just extract again, (being that they are the same company surely is easy?) from ALL macmail.
Why in Gods name they do not see folders inside folders is a mystery to me,
I tried grabbing the folder and taking to the extrator but no go.
I cannot copy multiple addresses to the clipboard, so thats out.
I dont know where these mail "folders" are stored on my computer either and dont even know if that would help.
All I want is to highlight a folder and send it to MacProg bulk mailer, failing that get the lot into extractor and then into the program.
Losing everything makes me want to strangle this company right now to be honest.

wilkij86

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
You'll have to forgive me Hollyhalo, I'm not really as technical as you appear to be. Anyway, here's what I did:
1) Opened the email Extractor programme (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/emailextractor.html)

2) In a Finder window, navigated to ~/Library/Mail, where ~ is your home folder.

3) Just dragged each of the mailbox files onto the Extractor window.

It really was that simple - for me at least. It extracted about 7000 email addresses, which, after a little editing on my part and a bit of general clearing up, left me with a decent database.

It's probably worth mentioning that legally you can't mailshot all of those addresses unless they have actively asked to be contacted.

carryh

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
It's probably worth mentioning that legally you can't mailshot all of those addresses unless they have actively asked to be contacted.

Yes. that's true.
That's why we have gone back to the last century, around the 60s, where sending a conventional letter was the most effective way of communication and believe it or not, despite all this "super smart high tech rubbish" thrown at us these days ... the very same method is still the most effective! At least you can "communicate" and no one is insulting you of being a spammer.

I mean, here we are, people can contact you through your website, asking you questions etc,. etc., but if you're now to write them back at a later stage and inform them of any updates, new services, etc. then some smarties out there pretending to be the internet police, would consider you a spammer. ..

Come on - it's just another form of "terrorizing and playing emperor" forcing you to run all you communication through a hand full of "legalized" criminals who are allowed to do anything they want and if you don't join them you will not be able to do anything ... It's PLAIN "INTERNET MAFIA" nothing else!

HELLOOOO ... do we actually have to engulf in all your dumb "Game Plays" or play spy and ******** on "Facecrook" to be considered "legal communicators" ???

In a business world we don't need these brain dead, monkey walking attitudes. (no one can walk upright nowadays anymore. everyone just stares into their dumb iPhone playing "Virtual games" while walking.

It's just fantastic to witness how fast we develop backwards and don't realize the real values any longer.

@ABSTRACT

Your comments to do it "manually" is just another proof of this brain erasing era. Good luck by doing this "manually" with hundreds or even more. Again, all this technology of the 20s in the year 2011 and soon 2012 and we apply methodologies like in the 50s last century.

Just wondering ... did you all sell your brain to Mark? (must be because he is the one who controls you now!)

Get out of here, really and get your own brains back!

Good luck

Last edited:

carryh

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Any particular reason why you feel the need to dig up a 3 year old thread to rant about?
KINDLY:
  1. complain to Google first, because they throw old crap at you on their first page, all the time! In fact, the older the earlier and I am not scrolling through hundreds of search results to eventually find something that is time relevant. So, yep, Google is your source to complain to.
  2. second. If you don't like people still adding onto old posts, delete it or close comments. That easy. In this case, you'd need to complain about yourself and your lack of responsibility, interest, whatever, to avoid this from happening
  3. and thirdly. Why is it that you feel upset if someone addresses some facts? How "personally or emotionally are you attached to Google, Apple, Microsoft, Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook ...and more, all part of that mafia gang fighting each other for the lead in controlling "you" too? If that annoys you that someone actually dares to take on these crooks, please - feel free to delete this post and go and hug the accused and try to tell them they should not cray only because such a dare devil like me goes after them. Feel free to cry with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.