Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I've been eyeing up some iMac G4's on eBay recently and I'm seriously thinking of getting one.
I do however have a few questions, which hopefully some of you guys can answer!

I'm not going to use it as a main computer, just something I can browse the internet on, check my email on and use MSN as well.
And word processing as well and iTunes.

The machine I'm looking at has:

1.25Ghz PPC G4
756mb RAM
40GB HDD

1) Shall I stick with Tiger or upgrade to Leopard, I'm unsure as to whether 756MB is enough to cope with running Leopard and simultaneous web browsing/listening to iTunes, MSN and word processing.

2) Can I link up 2 external HDDs via firewire and keep the bulk of my files on there?

Cheers :]

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
I've been eyeing up some iMac G4's on eBay recently and I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

I'm not going to use it as a main computer, just something I can browse the internet on, check my email on and use MSN as well.

1.25Ghz PPC G4
756mb RAM
40GB HDD

1) Shall I stick with Tiger or upgrade to Leopard, I'm unsure as to whether 756MB is enough to cope with running Leopard and simultaneous web browsing/listening to iTunes, MSN and word processing.

2) Can I link up 2 external HDDs via firewire and keep the bulk of my files on there?

I dont mean to spoil your excitement about entering the world of Macs but do your self a favor and stay away from any old G4 Mac. Yes it will be just fine for checking email etc. but the computer world has past that old technology by leaps and bounds. Unless you can get the machine for $100 or less I would put my money toward a new or refurb Intel Apple, if a new model is not in your budget try the Apple refurb store or buy a second hand Intel Mac.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC

1.25Ghz PPC G4
756mb RAM
40GB HDD

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB323LL/A

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I dont mean to spoil your excitement about entering the world of Macs but do your self a favor and stay away from any old G4 Mac. Yes it will be just fine for checking email etc. but the computer world has past that old technology by leaps and bounds. Unless you can get the machine for $100 or less I would put my money toward a new or refurb Intel Apple, if a new model is not in your budget try the Apple refurb store or buy a second hand Intel Mac.

I already have a MB that I use as my main computer, I just wanted something to play with, but still use if you get me

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
The iMac G4s are great machines... certainly more than they're given credit for. I'm going to pick a 20" up one of these days whenever I get around to it. Anyway, 768 MB isn't exactly bad, but you might want to stick to Tiger because Leopard is a little bit more of a memory hog than Tiger. As well, 2 FireWire HDs should suffice for your needs.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
The iMac G4s are great machines... certainly more than they're given credit for. I'm going to pick a 20" up one of these days whenever I get around to it. Anyway, 768 MB isn't exactly bad, but you might want to stick to Tiger because Leopard is a little bit more of a memory hog than Tiger. As well, 2 FireWire HDs should suffice for your needs.

Thanks, can you recommend any back up software as Time Machine is only available on Leopard

rinux

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
Norway
20inch

I have one of those 20 inch g4 imac´s and i love it with all my hearth ! The greatest mac ever. Never ever failed me or anything and to put it out straight; the most stunning computer ever made ! EVERY TIME I get some new friend over, they comment´s the mac and just want to feel it and move around the screen.

Go for it, every mac lover should own one of those !

Just my 2 cents

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I have to admit that after having to use our intel white iMac, I realized the loss of the great design of the G4. I am not talking about the half-sphere, the screen and how it moves and how ergonomic it is... is just amazing. :)

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC

1.25Ghz PPC G4
756mb RAM
40GB HDD

Should be just fine for your needs so long as you use Tiger. I have a 1Ghz iMac G4 with 768MB of ram. Ran OK with Tiger, but got a little slow with Leopard. External HDD's should work fine.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
I disagree with all posters encouraging the OP to by a G4, the technology is old, outdated and not a wise investment unless the price is next to free. Also buyer beware getting a iMac off eBay.

Why waste a dime of his or her hard earned money on an old G4 when this could be had for just a few more bucks? PLUS FREE SHIPPING NOT $65-$80 to some Joe on eBay

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I disagree with all posters encouraging the OP to by a G4, the technology is old, outdated and not a wise investment unless the price is next to free. Also buyer beware getting a iMac off eBay.

The iMac G4 might be old, but it's not as if it's his only computer. Sure it won't run more intensive apps well, but I've got an old 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 chugging along well on Leopard, but it's 1 GB of memory is what I'd consider bare minimum (though I have run Leopard on 256 MB for a little bit and it wasn't as bad as one might think). The iMac G4 is a great computer for non-intensive uses like browsing the internet, listening to music, word processing, etc... and that's exactly what the OP is doing; who said you needed new technology when the old stuff works perfectly well for what one is doing? Anyway, OP, for good backup software, you probably could get away with Leopard on the iMac although Tiger would be better, the best free backup solution is Carbon Copy Cloner (IMO).

In response to the $1000 refurb iMac, it's not exactly the $600 iMac G4 from eBay (which is perfectly fine IMO).

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
The iMac G4 might be old, but it's not as if it's his only computer. Sure it won't run more intensive apps well, but I've got an old 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 chugging along well on Leopard, but it's 1 GB of memory is what I'd consider bare minimum (though I have run Leopard on 256 MB for a little bit and it wasn't as bad as one might think). The iMac G4 is a great computer for non-intensive uses like browsing the internet, listening to music, word processing, etc... and that's exactly what the OP is doing; who said you needed new technology when the old stuff works perfectly well for what one is doing? Anyway, OP, for good backup software, you probably could get away with Leopard on the iMac although Tiger would be better, the best free backup solution is Carbon Copy Cloner (IMO).

In response to the $1000 refurb iMac, it's not exactly the $600 iMac G4 from eBay (which is perfectly fine IMO).

I don't understand you guys would not encourage the OP to buy a second hand Intel iMac off eBay at the very least. You would be crazy to spend $600 on a G4 in 2008. A co-worker of mine picked up a 2Ghz 20" Intel iMac with built in web cam off Craigs List last week for $500

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC

Why waste a dime of his or her hard earned money on an old G4 when this could be had for just a few more bucks? PLUS FREE SHIPPING NOT $65-$80 to some Joe on eBay

"Old tech" is "gold tech" to some of us around here. Have you ever heard of antique collectors? Some folks lust after an old car, others stamps or coins. Nothing wrong with purchasing something you want whether it be old or new.

As far as eBay. I have purchased two Mac SE/30's, 6 Mac notebooks of various vintages/models and a Blueberry iMac over the past few years. All worked fine when I got them and work fine now. Heck the batteries have even been pretty good on all but the 3 oldest laptops. All from eBay auctions. All are a good bit older then the iMac the OP is considering. eBay is ok, so long as you are a careful buyer.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I don't understand you guys would not encourage the OP to buy a second hand Intel iMac off eBay at the very least. You would be crazy to spend $600 on a G4 in 2008. A co-worker of mine picked up a 2Ghz 20" Intel iMac with built in web cam off Craigs List last week for $500

I agree that intel imacs are far superior to the G4 but i'm not looking for a main desktop
I'm planning on buying an Alu iMac next year anyways, I just want something to play with

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC

His question was would the iMac he was looking at do the job he described. It will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.