Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use an app that would let you login using facial recognition?

• Yes

Votes: 53 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Tigercat212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
First of all, I would encourage you to read this article: http://www.julius-eckert.com/project/view/3/8

This article is by Julius Eckert, who is a developer for Mac OSX. He used face recognition (video provided by the isight) to change perspective in applications. But, I was wondering if it was possible for someone to develop an app that would allow you to log in by using facial recognition instead of a password in text.

If anybody could possibly develop this and post it on these forums, it would be greatly appreciated. If there is already something like this, please PM me the link or post it in this thread

Thanks!

Tigercat212

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
jokun, can you develop this and integrate in into the login screen?

I think the :p should probably be a clue

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There is some software that did this on Windows, but as far as I know, there's nothing on OS X right now. I think there are some SDKs that could potentially be used for the purpose, but it's still a fairly huge task. 'Twould be an excellent feature for all the Macs that have iSights built into them. Although these biometrics are easy to fool.

Like, many of these facial recognition tools can be defeated by a photo of you. If you have a fingerprint scanner, in many cases, if I have direct access to you, I can defeat it very easily using readily available items (e.g. get you to put a fingerprint on a can or glass or other fingerprint friendly surface, lift it with a piece of tape, photocopy it, and then the photocopy fingerprint will actually often key your fingerprint scanner).

Tigercat212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Fingerprinting

Is there anyway to use a fingerprinting analysis/recognition to login in Mac OSX on a Macbook?

Tigercat212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
No, but then there's no built in fingerprint scanner, either. It's not quite like you can put your finger up to the iSight and get a good read... :D

Can you use that to replace the login screen so instead of inputting a text password you can use your fingerprint?

Tigercat212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
1. Does the Eikon work well with Mac OSX on a Blackbook?

2. What is the difference between these two: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Priva...AE42MH160C6CS&s=generic&qid=1212436317&sr=1-1

AND

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Privacy-Manager-fingerprint-reader/dp/B0018E72TY/ref=pd_sim_e_5

It seems as if they're the same product but the second link is 6 dollars less than the first link.

3. For those who have it, is the actual scanner small? Does it fit well into a laptop case?

the website says u can

Oh, I didn't see that. Thanks tallestof4.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You can't do it pre-login, but this might help... Go to your System preferences and in the Accounts pane click on Login Items. Click the + symbol and navigate to the Applications folder. From here, select Photobooth and press Okay. Close System Preferences and log out. Now, log back into your account with your password. Photobooth should now open up. Click on the circular button with a camera in it. On the count of three it'll take a photo. If you don't recognise the person in the photo, then log back out, and quickly! Somebody's stealing your filthy filthy donkey pr0n! Oh noes!

Reactions: Aneef

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
3. For those who have it, is the actual scanner small? Does it fit well into a laptop case?

The size is listed in the above Amazon link, 3.3 x 0.06 x 1.3 inches, and it weighs 3 ounces. So yes, it is small, and Yes, I am sure it will fit in any laptop case.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Why is there a poll? The answer has nothing to do with an opinion.
That said i hope someone makes this app if it is possible.

Tigercat212

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
You will probably need the Eikon fingerprint scanner to answer these questions.

1. On a Mac, can you set a prefererence so you only use the scanner to log in and nothing else.

2. Can you set it so it logs you into some websites even if they have different passwords.

3. How big is the learning curve?

Why is there a poll? The answer has nothing to do with an opinion.
That said i hope someone makes this app if it is possible.

I just wanted to see whether people would actually consider using something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.