Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
rhg247
macrumors newbie

Anyone using Parallels Server and Xserve?

I'm thinking of consolidating 3 old Dells onto 1 new tricked out Xserve running paralles server. But the one review of the product I found wasn't definitive as to yea or nay.

Is anyone here doing this? How well does it work? They're not super powerful heavy hitters. Just a file and print servers.

Thanks!

(I didn't really know where to stick this question so mods please move if need be)
rhg247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Sesshi
Banned

We did look at it as a way of extending the economic life of the XServes after we've finished with them, and there's one running Parallels Server with some utility databases as a test. That machine is used for other things however and I don't know what the exact upshot was - but the guys who did the test ruled out deploying it for our usual suite of server software, which necessitated buying more Dells. I plan to look at it once again at a time closer to actually considering it for deployment, in about 2 years time - by then perhaps it will offer more compelling features.

Personally, bearing in mind the "enterprise support" that we get from Apple on them among other things I'd be more confident running on a Microsoft Virtual Server or ESX solution on a reasonable-spec Poweredge/Proliant.
Sesshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Parallelogram
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Parallels here. Can I ask which review you saw? Maybe I could point you in the direction of another one to help (though not many have been done yet).

Also, feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have. I appreciate it's much more interesting for you to hear about other people's experience, but do let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thanks,
Parallelogram
Parallelogram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4
rhg247
macrumors newbie

Sure. Here's the article:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...-server_1.html

Oh and yes, feel free to point me in some other direction.
rhg247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
pezza
macrumors member

Here is another one.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftwar...?reviewid=2721

Seems to be a balanced report..
pezza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Parallelogram
macrumors newbie

That would have the other one I would have sent. Hummm, I'm not really being very helpful. As I said, let me know if you have any specific questions.

We're working on some case studies, so I'll post up a link once they are published in case that helps.

Thanks,
Parallels
Parallelogram is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking