Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I switched to Mac a long time ago and have been very happy. One thing I have never got sorted is viewing the brush/tool/whatever I am using.

When I am not zoomed in close, my cursor disappears when I move it over the image. Whereas I would see a big circle in windows (representing the pixel size of the brush) for some reason I do not see it in Mac OS X unless I am zoomed in to 50% or more.

I hope this makes sense and someone can help! Will post pics if needs be.

Cheers, H.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
I think your brush size is just very small. Increase the brush size in the drop down menu or using the "]" key.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Thanks. I thought of that too... but I even increased my brush size to 200 pixels, and when I activate it I can see it creating a huge blob, but it disappears when I stop activating it... So in other words I can only see the effects of the brush when I am using it :confused:

Colin Hoernig

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Northwest Indiana
Thanks. I thought of that too... but I even increased my brush size to 200 pixels, and when I activate it I can see it creating a huge blob, but it disappears when I stop activating it... So in other words I can only see the effects of the brush when I am using it :confused:

Try changing these settings:

Attachments

• PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.gif
    PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 150

vaguely-clear

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Make sure that your caps lock is off when you use the brush tool. That got me for months before I realized what was going on.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Thanks all for your input.

I checked my cursor preferences and they are as posted by Colin, with full size brush selected.

I still do not see the large circle I want describing my brush. Instead I have cross-hair target in the centre and no way of visualising the actual brush size until I spray.

I the attached example the brush size was set to 200 pixels, but my only 'preview' was a small bracketed cross hair less than half this size (sorry the cross hair disappeared when I took the screen shot)

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 85

vaguely-clear

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
I still do not see the large circle I want describing my brush. Instead I have cross-hair target in the centre and no way of visualising the actual brush size until I spray.

That sounds exactly like what happens when my caps lock is on as mentioned before. Then again, I have CS2. I'll try CS3 at work on Monday if you still don't have this resolved by then.

I wonder what else it could be...?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yes, it has to be the caps lock toggle for painting with a cross hair. This feature is not Mac-specific; it works the same way in Windows. Just make sure that caps lock is off if you want a cursor that indicates brush size.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Yes, it has to be the caps lock toggle for painting with a cross hair. This feature is not Mac-specific; it works the same way in Windows. Just make sure that caps lock is off if you want a cursor that indicates brush size.
My caps lock is definitely not on. OTHERWISE MY TYPING WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS :)

Any other ideas?

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
Maybe you have a demon in your box. Have you considered an exorcism?;)

waj

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
I had the same problem when I first moved to a Mac approx 2 years ago, I made some enquiries and was told that it was a Adobe Mac version bug that appeared on the beta/trial versions that were out and about at the time and it would be fixed on the shrink wrap official release version. I made the investment and now have no problems with seeing the size of the the clone tool/brush size etc.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I had the same problem when I first moved to a Mac approx 2 years ago, I made some enquiries and was told that it was a Adobe Mac version bug that appeared on the beta/trial versions that were out and about at the time and it would be fixed on the shrink wrap official release version. I made the investment and now have no problems with seeing the size of the the clone tool/brush size etc.

Bingo! Thanks man that makes sense. I have a trial version with an 'extension' ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.