Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
TUBEdotTV
macrumors newbie

How can we project the iPhone screen?

I have an iPhone question and I figured I should take my inquiry directly to the experts.

We are trying to figure out a way to have the screen of our laptop reflect the screen of our iPhone. For a concrete example, as we are going through photos on our iPhone, we want our laptop screen be an exact replica of the iPhone screen (showing us going through photos).

I guess another way to describe our need is: being able to display (or project) what we are doing on an iPhone - but allowing the actions to be seen on a larger screen for others to see.

Ideally, there would be a way to make this happen wirelessly - perhaps through wifi or bluetooth. Although, we would also be open to a wired solution.

Please let me know if there is any technology currently in existence that makes this possible. If not, please let me know your thoughts on how this could be made possible.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help us out - it is truly appreciated.

Aloha, Ka'o

Ka'ohele Carlos - CEO of TUBE.TV
Kaohele.Carlos@TUBE.TV
TUBEdotTV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:46 PM   #2
dacreativeguy
macrumors 65816

Why not download the SDK which gives you an iphone emulator for your Mac?
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
ravenvii
macrumors 604

The SDK, like you said, emulates an iPhone. He wants (I think) to use the iPhone as a presentation remote. He'd put photos of his slides on the iPhone, then project them. And then he'd just *flick* to move slides as he speaks.

And now... how to do that?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
jcde7ago
macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3G has a TV Out option in Settings > iPod

I am sure you could use the optional iPhone A/V cable, which also charges your phone, and hook that up to a projector or TV that has basic A/V inputs....someone correct me if i am wrong though. This should be quite simple, though i don't know how to do this with a laptop.
jcde7ago is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:12 AM   #5
philgilder
macrumors 68000

the tv out cable only shows videos
photos, the iphone os and any app does not get shown on the tv
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:21 AM   #6
equlizer
macrumors regular

Is there a cable or device that will allow the display of everything? (safari, email, etc)
equlizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:31 AM   #7
Mr. Brown
macrumors member

It must be possible because they've done it on the last Keynotes. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDme19K_adw
Mr. Brown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:32 AM   #8
philgilder
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by equlizer View Post
Is there a cable or device that will allow the display of everything? (safari, email, etc)
Quote:
It must be possible because they've done it on the last Keynotes. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDme19K_adw
no, unless you are steve jobs
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:56 AM   #9
PYR0M310N
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to PYR0M310N Send a message via Yahoo to PYR0M310N Send a message via Skype™ to PYR0M310N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
When SJ demostrated the iPhone first time he had a rather large cable coming out of the phone that I'm pretty sure will have being custom made for a few apple presentations.
Pwned iPhone 3G 16gb; iPod 5.5 Gen 30gb
Last FM
PYR0M310N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 06:42 PM   #10
TUBEdotTV
macrumors newbie

Mahalo

Thanks for all the input!

It seems like the answer is - yes, it is possible since Steve Jobs did it in his presentation... but it is not a readily available feature. The fact that the iPhone comes with an AV cord is promising (but perhaps there is something custon needed to actually display all actions including safari, email etc... which is what we need).

If anyone knows of the special connector - please pass along the information.

Alternatively, does anyone know of an iPhone ap that would allow us to record our actions (playing videos, using safari etc) - then save it as a video file we could play on a monitor? That would work as an alternative to accomplish our goals.

Thanks again!
Aloha, Ka'o
TUBEdotTV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 07:28 PM   #11
StingerT125
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUBEdotTV View Post
Alternatively, does anyone know of an iPhone ap that would allow us to record our actions (playing videos, using safari etc) - then save it as a video file we could play on a monitor? That would work as an alternative to accomplish our goals.
I don't think it is possible for now; and your best bet would be just to point a video recorder at the screen and record it that way.
StingerT125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:44 PM   #12
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502

It probably isn't the most efficient but you could do screen captures and copy the resulting images in to something like Power Point and you could then annotate the images. You can even animate the slides to slide on and off the screen to give at least the idea of using the iPhone. The screen shots will be in the same dimensions as the iPhone screen. This will not allow for real time demonstrations but would do a fair job of demonstrating what you want to demonstrate.

The other option would be to use the emulator in the SDK as was previously recommended. As an emulator you would have the real time demonstration it sounds like you want. Sure, it isn't actually you using the iPhone in your presentation but I would think it would meet most of your needs pretty well.

Those are probably your only options at this point.
StoneColdSober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:52 PM   #13
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Apple is too control-freak to allow us to do neat things like project application video.

Your best choice for iPhone is to buy one of these puppies:

http://projectaphone.com/

Alternatively, you could do a fake web version of your app, and project it running under Safari on your laptop.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:47 PM   #14
Geckotek
macrumors G3

IIRC, SJ said he had a specially hacked version to be able to do the projection. I have not seen a way to do it. I wonder if somone could make an app that would work on a jailbroken iPhone? Perhaps it could use the same TV-out cable but be hacked to include the OS?

Interesting how WM has this function.

Edit: KDarling beat me to the projector idea. I saw these a while back at a Palm event I think.
Geckotek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:18 AM   #15
gdavis5757
macrumors newbie

projecting the iPhone screen

This seems on the the surface to be an easy fix for apple. For some reason the phone needs to detect a video stream before it will enable a pin. I have heard a rumor of an .app called "Demo" that will allow users to project all of the phone screens. I am not sure if this was posted to the Apps store and withdrawn or never existed. I hope this isn't some sort of cheeky revenue scheme on Apples part. I have the video cable and it works great; for video but won't project anything else i.e. apps and photos. You think it would at very least project photos!
gdavis5757 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:53 AM   #16
sunfast
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
IIRC, SJ said he had a specially hacked version to be able to do the projection. I have not seen a way to do it. I wonder if somone could make an app that would work on a jailbroken iPhone? Perhaps it could use the same TV-out cable but be hacked to include the OS?
Steve said his one had a special board in it at the original launch keynote (MWSF 2007). I haven't experimented with my cable but I'm disappointed it doesn't do photos as somebody said above.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 01:42 PM   #17
gdavis5757
macrumors newbie

display iPhone

I had posted yesterday I was unable to display photos. I was wrong, however I still can't display the screen running apps. Photos and videos good, apps not!
gdavis5757 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:38 PM   #18
highmarks
macrumors newbie

Iphone Cable

sunfast you said you do have a cable? Will it show Safari (web site) and the phone image, like the keynotes?
highmarks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:43 PM   #19
ethical
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmarks View Post
sunfast you said you do have a cable? Will it show Safari (web site) and the phone image, like the keynotes?
Sorry mate, the TV-Out cable that he is talking about only shows videos and photos, not full projection of the iPhone whatever it is doing.
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:43 PM   #20
applerocks24
macrumors newbie

Elmo

hello, I have been recently also trying to figure this out for a project at school. A decent alternative I have found is the ELMO system. My school has one, and what it is, is basically a document camera that projects what it on it. I tried setting my iphone on it, and was successfully able to use it, with the lights off. It is a very clear display, and just leaving it sitting and working on it wasn't too hard. Hope it helps a little bit!
http://www.elmousa.com/applications-education.php
applerocks24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone