Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreeCom externals good or bad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

interslice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
NL
I have a Freecom 120 GB silver brush external - after one year started corrupting my pictures when i saved to it then clicking and not working right.:(

Bought a new 250 GB Freecom black plastic cover, after 5 months :eek: started clicking on playing with big files, randomly shuts down and powers off, causing my WARNING don't remove WARNING to come up! :(

What is going on? Freecom is supposed to be good?
would a sep power supply fix it? :confused:

The click click scare the hell out of me ...

please share so i know whats what with Freecom - all the reviews blablabla good good good - but 2 in row fail? - is it my MAC ???

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I came across your thread while searching for help. I have the 500GB external hard drive which I bought for Time Machine backups. I thought it was fine until I tried to actually use the software that comes with, which is necessary to use their encryption software.

Wow, I have NEVER seen such horrible CRAP software on OS X, ever. I just wrote this thread about it.

Now I am hoping to find:
a) a solution to make their software work (unlikely)
b) another encryption solution that works with Time Machine and info to cleanly uninstall Freecom's garbageware

interslice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
NL
Thanks for the reply

I understand that the compatibility between freecom and MAC is prob the worst at this time ... one hopes to see improvements.

I finally got my separate hard drive adapters for free from FREEcom and they don't spin out and click anymore ... BUT they do still force my MAC to SHUT DOWN with no warning randomly ...

HOW absolutely terrible

I still have not found many other people with the same, hard shut down power off, as me when using these external hard drives.

please ... more experiences people :D :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.