Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1
jremy510
macrumors newbie

Should I replace PowerBook G4?

Tonight my PowerBook G4 suffered a kernel panic on startup, which I determined was caused by the failure of the lower memory socket. I removed the memory from that socket, and now all is well (albeit with less RAM than before).

I was planning on using this laptop until the new MacBooks come out, whenever that may be. My question is whether I should take my chances with one good memory socket, or should I just go buy a MacBook now. I have no idea how likely it is that the second socket will fail.

I'm in my first week of law school and I'm pretty reliant on my laptop, if that makes a difference.
jremy510 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Did you check to see if your PBG4 is covered under the problem they had with these?

I dont see the information on Apples website anymore though. Try taking into an Apple Store and having the Genius look at it.

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:01 AM   #3
tristan
macrumors 6502a

I have a PBG4 too. It's a good system but MS Office 2008 bogs it down. I actually run updated Office v.X which I find more stable and reliable. And its older - the battery is dead, the cable is a little loose, etc.

But I also have an MBP, and it's much much faster. In may my MBP lost its hard drive, and thank god I had the PBG4 as a spare. I write for a living and being without a computer for even a few days means I fall way behind.

And I was also in grad school (MBA) a few years ago, but not with a Mac, but rather a flaky PC. That was a huge mistake and you don't want to be in that position. In retrospect I dodged a bullet, especially since I hardly ever backed up. Don't be me because it probably won't work out so well.

So my suggestion - get the MBP but keep the PBG4 as a spare. Also suggest external monitor and the keyboard for the ergonomics, if you're going to be working at home primarily.

Index Roll: Indexing on Steroids
tristan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4
jremy510
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationLP View Post
Did you check to see if your PBG4 is covered under the problem they had with these?

I dont see the information on Apples website anymore though. Try taking into an Apple Store and having the Genius look at it.
Mine's a 1.25 GHz, I believe it was the newer PowerBooks that were covered. I bought this one way back in 2003, so I doubt it's covered by anything anymore.
jremy510 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs