Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jremy510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Tonight my PowerBook G4 suffered a kernel panic on startup, which I determined was caused by the failure of the lower memory socket. I removed the memory from that socket, and now all is well (albeit with less RAM than before).

I was planning on using this laptop until the new MacBooks come out, whenever that may be. My question is whether I should take my chances with one good memory socket, or should I just go buy a MacBook now. I have no idea how likely it is that the second socket will fail.

I'm in my first week of law school and I'm pretty reliant on my laptop, if that makes a difference.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Did you check to see if your PBG4 is covered under the problem they had with these?

I dont see the information on Apples website anymore though. Try taking into an Apple Store and having the Genius look at it.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I have a PBG4 too. It's a good system but MS Office 2008 bogs it down. I actually run updated Office v.X which I find more stable and reliable. And its older - the battery is dead, the cable is a little loose, etc.

But I also have an MBP, and it's much much faster. In may my MBP lost its hard drive, and thank god I had the PBG4 as a spare. I write for a living and being without a computer for even a few days means I fall way behind.

And I was also in grad school (MBA) a few years ago, but not with a Mac, but rather a flaky PC. That was a huge mistake and you don't want to be in that position. In retrospect I dodged a bullet, especially since I hardly ever backed up. Don't be me because it probably won't work out so well.

So my suggestion - get the MBP but keep the PBG4 as a spare. Also suggest external monitor and the keyboard for the ergonomics, if you're going to be working at home primarily.

jremy510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Did you check to see if your PBG4 is covered under the problem they had with these?

I dont see the information on Apples website anymore though. Try taking into an Apple Store and having the Genius look at it.

Mine's a 1.25 GHz, I believe it was the newer PowerBooks that were covered. I bought this one way back in 2003, so I doubt it's covered by anything anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.