Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I just added a review of all my headphones to my blog. It includes 6 wired headphones, 3 bluetooth headsets, and a shot of all the earbuds I've collected with my pick as the best.

Feel free to peruse it. Leave a comment if you want. I'd also love to hear what your favorite headphones are. 4D
Duffer likes the Grado SR80s:
sr80.gif

MacInSchool is getting the
Shure E500 That Alphaod has:
shure_e500pth_20.jpg

VictorCh likes the B&O A8s:
product_126024.jpg

Insulin Junkie goes Numark:
36772.jpg

Etymotics get mixed reviews:
er6-all3.jpg

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
What? No one else wants to share what their favorite headphones are?

4D

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I use Numark DJ's for listening to music at home. Invested in them over half a decade ago, and still going strong :)
I love the Beyerdynamic in-ear phones for the street.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I use Numark DJ's for listening to music at home. Invested in them over half a decade ago, and still going strong :)
I love the Beyerdynamic in-ear phones for the street.
Do you mean these, or another Numark model, IJ? Are they comfortable for a few hours at a time?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Do you mean these, or another Numark model, IJ? Are they comfortable for a few hours at a time?

Yup, that's the model.
They're more comfortable now that I've 'broken them in', they were tight and made the ears hurt after an hour or so when they were newer. I stuck with them for so long because the music sounds just the way I want to hear it out of them... nice and balanced.
What's more they got tossed around a lot, dropped a lot and probably stepped on once or twice, and they never broke or even cracked. If something does happen to them Numark it is again. :)

Harry Bosch

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
I just ordered the Sony DR-BT50! They will be my first Bluetooth phones, eager to try them out.

I have the Sony MDR-V300 (wired) phones which sound great, but basically I'm just so tired of cords and wires everywhere.

II AndyG33 II

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Illinois
I have the bose in ear headphones....
people say they are overpriced
but i think they're wonderful

only complain is that the 3.5 jack has a huge power supply thing on it :[
but that was fixed in an update...
so the new ones dont have it :]

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
I just ordered the Sony DR-BT50! They will be my first Bluetooth phones, eager to try them out.
I've got them and love them. So far I don't have anything that the folder +/- buttons support, but it's incredibly nice to change tracks, pause, vol +/- directly on the headphones. If you have a bluetooth capable cell phone they'll work with it too.

dmw2692004

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
I LOVE etymotic.

http://www.etymotic.com/

I have every single headphone from their line, as well as the bluetooth ones. Superior sound quality and noise cancellation as appose to Shure(their direct competition).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well I don't have top 10 as I've only bought like 5 ones that are even worth mentioning.

I have been using a Shure E500PTH for a year and half now and it's pimping.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Lets see:

I started with a pair of sonys for about 30 bucks. They were great for what they were and last for a while... then i kinda dropped them in a puddle.

Next i went with a pair of Shure e2c's. They are a little base heavy, but they were still much better then the sonys i had.

I then bought the Shure se310's and am still using them. I really like this pair. I think they are more balanced then the e2c's so the highs are a little more present and the lows do not give the deep thumping sound, although there is still bass there.

My sister had a pair or er6's and she like those a lot. The balance in those was great (as far as i was concerned) for a cheaper set of headphones. She managed to break one of the buds so she is currently searching for a replacement pair.

Mangaroo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
London
i absolutely love and hate etymotic headphones - fantastic sound, POS build quality.

So many reviews online of my exact same problem.

Bought a pair equivalent to $120 (from UK). Amazing sound, 4-7 months later one side of the headphones died. Etymotic want crazy fees to ship it back to them. Missed them so much that I bit the bullet and bought another pair and same **** happened...now i love these headphones but...$240 and nothing to show for it. I take care of my headphones but you can just tell that they feel flimsy (although look quite cool imo). Sorry for all those who purchased them, hoped it doesnt happen to you, maybe i had two bad ones, maybe my ears have anti-etymotic immune system. I dont know, but if you were me i doubt you'd be willing to part with another $120...unless you are nuts about etymotic of course :)

But if you do love them and have an iphone, a company out there sells them for the iphone/provides a service were you ship your etymotic er6is to them and they add the iphone microphone piece.

Etymotic Er6is one side stopped working (google)

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Bose QuietComfort (yeah i know i know) for traveling.
Bang & Olufsen A8's when there's no space and no need for noise canceling.

Planning on getting some M-Audios or Senns HD for making music and such, for bass-intensive stuff were the A8's just won't do and the Bose kinda lack the finesse.

Victor

duffer

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Grado

Grado headphones are awesome. I have been using the SR 80s for a long time and the sound is incredible. The iGrado headphone gets great reviews and I plan on purchasing them soon.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Do you know what's different in the iGrado version? Is it more than just charging more for the i?

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I use Etymotic ER6i... and I love em'. (Wish the HF2 had come out before)
I also have Bose triport! :)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
The Grado GS1000s at home
Those "Look" like they must sound fantastic, gmk. Since you've got them, do you think they sound twice as good as all the $500 headphones out there, and 5 times as good as all the $200 headphones?

Just curious. I'd certainly have to test drive a pait of those before spending a grand on them.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Those "Look" like they must sound fantastic, gmk. Since you've got them, do you think they sound twice as good as all the $500 headphones out there, and 5 times as good as all the $200 headphones?

Just curious. I'd certainly have to test drive a pait of those before spending a grand on them.

So easily impressed :p... I used to own these for a couple years - http://www.cnet.com/1990-11456_1-6361079-2.html?hhTest

Between the phones ($1500 used) and the rest of the setup, I had $4k sunk into a rig I used in my office. Was it worth it? The sound was unbelievable, so much so that it impacted my work negatively. Played with many closed phones and iems and worked my up to this setup over a year, only to get to something with such an involving soundscape that I couldn't take my mind away from the music.

FWIW I made a $500 profit selling these. That's one thing about high-end headphones. They have limited market, hence limited quantity, and once the production ends they appreciate.

Check out head-fi.org for more info.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas

Umm...there are some noticeable differences between the SE530s and the Grados. Everything that you thought was so perfect about the SE530s is upgraded, the biggest improvement is probably the depth of the sound...haha... Clearly these are not for vale, but for sound, for those that are going to go running or listening to a CD or two, you are wasting your money.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
i went through at least 10 other pairs of sound isolating/noise canceling and on ear headphones. after doing alot of research and physical testing(and returning) i am now the happy owner of Audio Technica ATH-ANC7's
there great:
half the price of bose QC3's and as good, if not better noise cancelation. they are also very confutable.
heres a link

there great for a student looking for noise canceling headphone with great quality at a great price

beefington

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
i use Skullcandy Smokin' Buds for walking around, and those cost $40 and do a perfectly good job of cancelling noise even if theyre not made to. for home/travel i use Skullcandy Skullcrushers. for someone who like bass, these are a must seeing as they have a built in subwoofer and literally vibrate when you play a song with big bass

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
My SE530s came today while I was at work. Listening to them right now. WOW!!!

for home/travel i use Skullcandy Skullcrushers. for someone who like bass, these are a must seeing as they have a built in subwoofer and literally vibrate when you play a song with big bass

I have some of those. The bass is disturbingly overwhelming... Even when the sub is turned down. Hard to describe. Great for a song or two to rock out, but after that they're just too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.