Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
froggytreafrogg
macrumors regular

Speed Control: Overclock the PowerMac

Hello, I recently finished building my B&W PowerMac G3. I looked across the motherboard but took a closer look at the "warrantee void if seal is broken" sticker. I looked near the white bar that the sticker was covering and saw printed on the motherboard that it is like a speed control: called "speed/clt." I was wondering what this is and if it can overclock the speed of my processor to make it faster.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

Thats exactly what it is. You pull of the jumper block and can up the processor speed by changing where jumpers are placed. On a B&W I've never gotten any more than 50MHz out of an overclock, and on a Beige not more than 350MHz out of a 333MHz to run stable. Give it a shot.

http://drivejumper.com/ClockupG3/b%26wclockup.html
Old Aug 16, 2008, 06:28 PM   #3
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

After the warranty ran out, I managed to get my rev 2/350mhz B&W up to 500mhz.......but it is best if you try it in 50mhz steps, and check it for stability after each step. I remember being so thrilled at getting the extra speed for FREE

Just as a precaution, I added a small fan on top of of the heatsink, just to be sure it didn't fry itself. I ran it that way for 2 years nottaneveraproblemo.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:45 AM   #4
froggytreafrogg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBoxMasta View Post
After the warranty ran out, I managed to get my rev 2/350mhz B&W up to 500mhz.......but it is best if you try it in 50mhz steps, and check it for stability after each step. I remember being so thrilled at getting the extra speed for FREE

Just as a precaution, I added a small fan on top of of the heatsink, just to be sure it didn't fry itself. I ran it that way for 2 years nottaneveraproblemo.
how important is it to have the fan. the heat sink doesn't have a fan: is it important to put one if i optomize the processor? Thanks
PS: nice signature
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Firefly2002
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggytreafrogg View Post
how important is it to have the fan. the heat sink doesn't have a fan: is it important to put one if i optomize the processor? Thanks
PS: nice signature
The PSU fan blows air over the CPU heatsink in the B&W G3 models, you don't need an extra fan, though I suppose it couldn't hurt. Not sure where you'd put one, though.
Firefly2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #6
froggytreafrogg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly2002 View Post
The PSU fan blows air over the CPU heatsink in the B&W G3 models, you don't need an extra fan, though I suppose it couldn't hurt. Not sure where you'd put one, though.
yeah, i see what you mean. i clocked it up to 450 (from 400) im scared to push it any harder.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Firefly2002
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggytreafrogg View Post
yeah, i see what you mean. i clocked it up to 450 (from 400) im scared to push it any harder.
Don't worry, go for 500. You can't hurt the processor... it'll either fail to boot (no boot chime), freeze after a while or during startup, or run fine.

You can't damage a CPU unless you overvolt it, which isn't possible on a B&W G3 without a soldering iron (you have to desolder a few resistors).
Firefly2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs