Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Hi, java isn't working on any site on safari, yet works fine on firefox

java is enabled in safari preferences, i also tried uninstalling java and running software update, but it didnt offer to download java, so i downloaded "Java for Mac OS X" from developer.apple.com

still, it doesn't work and i get the 'Java is unavailable or not installed' error. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could fix this?
Thanks

©hris

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Sydney
Phil, I also had this problem and no matter what I did, Java won't work on safari.

I suggest just using firefox. Annoying i know, but firefox is probably better anyway :)

Good luck

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK
i tried to switch to firefox, but i have loads of passwords saved in my keychain which firefox can't access
and since every password is 100% unique, and its a random mix of punctuation, numbers and letters, theres no way i can manually re-enter them into firefox!

thanks for the suggestion though :)

autometer

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I have the same problem. Our guy that is the contact for our website needs to log in on occasion & do maintenance on the site. Problem is, the menus are Java & he can not see them. I can not get it to work on my Mac either.

Tim

©hris

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Sydney
I'm sure you can transfer your keychain to firefox through the firefox preferences, Phil.

I think there just may be a problem with Safari which won't let java work with it, no matter what you do.

Just go for firefox ;) (Unless you can find a solution, of course!)

autometer

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I tried your link, and it worked. That is what is confusing to us, we can see everything except the one page that we need to see (our webhost). We can view their page on PC's, but not on the Mac's that we need to see it on. We keep coming to the conclusion that we are ok, and they are the problem but we don't know why. But then we think we can see it on the PC's, so it must the be Mac's that are the problem :confused: So we check everything and it seems to work...except the one page we need. But it can't be us as everything else works :confused:

We think it may be a permission problem on their end in that it is not letting us in. But really don't have a clue. It could be on our end...it could be on their end :confused: :confused: :confused: So we keep looking and try to find people that say we are ok so we can pass that on to them in an attempt to get them to do more than just say it is your problem and not even look in to it :D

So...now to the part that relates to this thread. With what I rambled about above, do you think I have a problem with my java :(

Attachments

• ScreenCapture.jpg
    ScreenCapture.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 309

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
UK
for some reason, java now appears to be working
no idea how or why, as it wasn't disabled or anything...
but oh well, all seems ok now, so thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.