|Aug 17, 2008, 02:10 PM||#1|
Ibook bind! No Admins
I recently bought a 2002 ibook osx 10.3.9. I followed the following instuctions to change the shrort name and it seemed that everything was working perfectly untill...
"Easy, and known to work in Jaguar and Panther:
1. Log in as an admin user other than the account you're messing with.
2. Change the shortname in Netinfo Manager. Every property whose value is the old shortname should be changed to the new shortname.
3. If the user is an admin, be sure to go into the admin group and change the value of the users property whose value is the old shortname.
4. Save your changes and quit Netinfo Manager.
5. Open up Terminal, and do a "sudo mv /Users/[oldshortname] /Users/[newshortname]" to change the name of the user's home directory.
6. Log out of the admin account and go in as the user you edited. Everything should be peachy keen.
I have used this method many, many times to change accounts on Jaguar builds on machines I've rolled out to clients. Never had any problem at all. I also tested this on my iBook running Panther, and it seems to work just fine."
When I was making the changes in the admin group It wouldnt let me make changes to the value so I deleted the users line and added a new one changing my shortname for the previous shortname.
Another mistake I made was that under users I changed the value name inside the ; ; under authentication_ authority.
I called apple but they said that they couldnt help me because the phone assistance that came with my mac had allready run out and to look it up online. There is currently no admin on my computer. I have no clue what to do next please help
|Aug 17, 2008, 02:38 PM||#2|
There is a way using Terminal (via booting into it) to force OS X to re-launch the "first time start" process which will allow you to create a new admin account. It will, however, delete all pre-existing user accounts (but not software applications) on the system.
A Google search will bring up the procedure, as I don't remember it.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Efficiently implementing simple NSComboBox functionality with bindings||Monaj||Mac Programming||0||Jul 4, 2011 04:42 AM|
|NSMatrix simple binding question||Monaj||Mac Programming||1||Jun 16, 2011 08:32 AM|
|Torrent Client VPN Bind & Routing||MOD.and.OP||Mac Basics and Help||0||Dec 4, 2010 05:11 PM|
|no admin password? no problemo||neverownedapc||Mac OS X||4||Jul 28, 2008 04:53 AM|
|no OSX disc and no admin password||andcraig||Mac OS X||5||Dec 31, 2006 05:48 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.