Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Aug 17, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1
dbredesen
macrumors newbie

Hide the tab bar for certain tabs on UITabBarController

I have had a heck of a time trying to hide the tab bar when certain tabs are selected on a UITabBarController. I have tried:

- setHidesBottomBarWhenPushed: this only works when the tab item is a UINavigationController, and this boolean is set on one of the UIViewControllers that the navigation controller manages. Unfortunately, the view I want to hide it for is not a UINavigationController. I even went so far as to *wrap* the view in a UINavigationController, but when I called initWithRootViewController, it didn't hide the bottom bar.

- animating out, setting alpha = 0, hiding the tab bar: the tab bar will disappear, but there is a blank gap where the tab bar was that won't be filled by other content on the screen.

- replacing the tab bar view with my view: I tried myTabBarController.view = someView, hoping it would replace the whole view (including the tab bar) with myView. However, it only replaced the content area, and the tabBar still showed up.

I am at the end of my wit with this. I need to get that darn tab bar off my screen when displaying myView, but I still need myView to be one of the items available on the tab bar itself. Any ideas are welcome at this point! I've searched through every iPhone Dev forum and I haven't found any advice.

Thanks,
--d
dbredesen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 06:41 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

I have been able to use hidesBottomBarWhenPushed just fine with view controllers inside navigation controllers inside tab bar controllers. Are you using this property instead of the method call?
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming