Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
akaple
macrumors newbie

Power problem with my powerbook g4

The plastic piece around the dc jack is broken and blocking the power adapter from being able to charge. Is this piece required or can I remove it? Does anybody know where I could get a replacement piece?

Last edited by akaple; Aug 17, 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
akaple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:32 PM   #2
iToaster
macrumors 68000

Are you talking about the one that lights up on the charger? If so, I wouldn't recommend modifying a power adapter, but I guess it wouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
akaple
macrumors newbie

It's the plastic piece on the inside of the PowerBook, not on the actual adapter.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:52 PM   #4
iToaster
macrumors 68000

Is it the the one on the outside or one inside the round jack? Either way, it's probably going to warrant a replacement (generally a new logic board) as from my findings the power adapter port is finicky when if comes to when it will charge or just ignore the adapter.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:00 PM   #5
akaple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iToaster View Post
Is it the the one on the outside or one inside the round jack? Either way, it's probably going to warrant a replacement (generally a new logic board) as from my findings the power adapter port is finicky when if comes to when it will charge or just ignore the adapter.
It's the piece on the outside of the round jack. I can't figure out exactly what it is connected to because I haven't pulled it all out yet. I think it's either the dc & sound card or just the casing.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:06 AM   #6
vniow
macrumors 603

The plastic bit helps to protect the bit of metal around the plug end of the adapter from contacting the case, so I think its an essential part of it. Its likely no circuit boards need to be replaced (and if so it would be the DC-in board, not the logic ) just the plastic bit needs to be reseated/replaced.
vniow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:08 AM   #7
akaple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vniow View Post
The plastic bit helps to protect the bit of metal around the plug end of the adapter from contacting the case, so I think its an essential part of it. Its likely no circuit boards need to be replaced (and if so it would be the DC-in board, not the logic ) just the plastic bit needs to be reseated/replaced.
Yeah, that is what I eventually figured out last night. There is nothing connected to it, it's just attached to the case. It is causing some major problems with me being able to charge though. Any ideas where I could get something like that without having to replace my entire bottom casing?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:29 AM   #8
jaysinnva
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vniow View Post
If it's not just the plastic piece, it should definitely just be the DC-in board. I had to replace this on my old 12" PB G4. It's a pain to get to (underneath the mobo on the 12"), but is only a ~$50 part.
jaysinnva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:03 PM   #9
akaple
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysinnva View Post
If it's not just the plastic piece, it should definitely just be the DC-in board. I had to replace this on my old 12" PB G4. It's a pain to get to (underneath the mobo on the 12"), but is only a ~$50 part.
It's just the plastic piece.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs