Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Anyone else who has the new Incase slider case for the 3G notice this with their cases. There seems to be a small gap where the bottom piece meets the top. It is almost like they made the case like 1mm too short or something. Not really a big deal cause you will barely notice it, but you can see part of the chrome bezel if you look. Here are some pics of the gap on mine.

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0487.JPG

Also, and what is probably more concerning, is there seems to be space between the body of the phone and the case around the headphone opening and the camera lens opening. Again, not really noticeable, but concerning for the entry of dust in-between the case and body of the phone and potential for scratching. I have some pics of this as well to try to show.
IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0485.JPG

What do you all think. Anyone else notice it. Anyone with the white cases have these gap issues, or is it just with the black.

I really love this case, but want to make sure it is made right for 35$ for a piece of plastic.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
If the hole around the headphone jack as smaller it would effectively recreate the same problem Apple themselves incorporated into the first generation device, the recessed headphone jack. The camera hole looks standard, and I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
I have the white slider, and it does not have the "gap"

Based on the pictures I've seen, this seem to be the case overall. My white slider should hopefully be arriving today. I'll be sure to post my experiences with the case once I have it in my hands.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Based on the pictures I've seen, this seem to be the case overall. My white slider should hopefully be arriving today. I'll be sure to post my experiences with the case once I have it in my hands.

Good. I would be interested to know. And not just about the gaps where the pieces meet together, but the ones that I noted around the camera hole and headphone hole. If you look closely at my pictures you can see where the case is not flush up to the phone at these areas and has the potential for letting in dust there.

If it turns out that the white cases don't have this, then I will switch my case.

PAH Mac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Yeah, my black case has the exact same gap as yours. Like you said it isn't a huge deal but if the white ones don't have the gap it would seem like a manufacturing error. Has anyone contacted incase about this yet?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I have very small gaps as well, not a big deal. I think they may be for ease of dock removal?

Either way, not sure what the panic!!!! is about.

;)

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
mine are nonexistent....but, when i brought mine home I noticed several scratches on the inside back of the bigger piece...people probably used it a lot for their phones while in the store...gonna go to another store and see if I can exchange for another

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Mine are pretty minor as well, but it seems consistent with the small gap that is on the back. Again I think this is the design to be honest..

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I've got gaps too, in all the noted places. It's not a huge deal to me, as I usually clean the phone/case regularly. I do notice though that a lot more dirt/dust/etc. is getting into the case then the one for the 1st gen.

I also don't get how people are having problems getting the phone out of the case (and going to the extreme of breaking the case to get it out). My phone slides out a lot easier then the 1st gen, and there was no break-in period like the 1st one either. I'm curious if some people are trying to put the 3G into the 1st gen case (which I painfully tried when I first got the 3G - d'oh!).

All in all, I think this is the best slider case out, but I'm not sure I like it better then the 1st one. It seems a little bulkier, and even though the black matte doesn't attract finger prints, I think I liked the glossy plastic better on the first (I know they will be coming out with it eventually).

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Good. I would be interested to know. And not just about the gaps where the pieces meet together, but the ones that I noted around the camera hole and headphone hole. If you look closely at my pictures you can see where the case is not flush up to the phone at these areas and has the potential for letting in dust there.

If it turns out that the white cases don't have this, then I will switch my case.

Yeah, to elaborate, when I say mine has no "gaps" I mean on the sides where the two pieces meet. The bottom comes all the way up and makes contact with the top piece.

I have the small gaps around the headphones and the camera, but I think that is just the nature of the beast...

JT3MacManiac

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
does anyone else have any problems with the case sticking to their phone?

my white glossy case will not come off.

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
that case is crap if you ask me...i have purchased one and returned it and tried THREE different cases in the store and every time i put it on its like the damn phone gets wedge in there and its very difficult to take out. A worker at the apple store was surprised to see that three cases where to tight on the phone

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Thanks for the responses so far guys. So it looks like maybe this is just how the case is made then. It sounds like some of you with the white have noticed the gaps as well. I guess that if I decide to keep this case then I will just have to resolve to taking the phone out weekly to clean it. I do like looking at that beautiful phone anyways, so that is ok.

On the other hand, I don't know why so many a reporting difficulty in getting the phones out of the case. Now I only have tried the black case, and I guess it is the white cases that are having issues, but I can tell you that I have no problem at all with sliding my phone in and out of the black case. Strange.

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
that case is crap if you ask me...i have purchased one and returned it and tried THREE different cases in the store and every time i put it on its like the damn phone gets wedge in there and its very difficult to take out. A worker at the apple store was surprised to see that three cases where to tight on the phone

You must have picked out some bad ones. The case is snug, but it shouldn't be any other way that is unless you want some silicon crap that hangs off.

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
Snug is an understatement...when you have to break the case off at the apple store because it dosent slide is a problem..yes i would love to have the case...but i do like to clean my phone from time to time...and it just doesn't slide off like the slider did for the 1st gen phone

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
Snug is an understatement...when you have to break the case off at the apple store because it dosent slide is a problem..yes i would love to have the case...but i do like to clean my phone from time to time...and it just doesn't slide off like the slider did for the 1st gen phone

I picked out three at the apple store and tried all three onto the phone. Each one came off perfectly fine.

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
I'm sure its normal. Here is the slight gap on my Incase Slider for my original iPhone.

dsc0012rg1.jpg

roxychicx23

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
White Incase 3g Slider Update

Everyone that has a white incase 3g slider and find it difficult to remove can call customer support. On Monday 8/25 they received a new special batch of white 3g sliders that were made slightly bigger. The customer service manager assured me that it will not be difficult to take off. He sent one out to me on Monday and I received it yesterday. I put it on and it definitely is easier to take off. It didn't take two people to remove. So if you are having this problem I suggest you call and get a new one sent out to you because they only were shipped two new boxes of the slightly bigger white 3g slider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.