Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Anyone have experience with AT&T coverage in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia? I'm in Lexington, but interested in iPhone users' experiences in Lexington, Staunton, Roanoke, and the surrounding areas. Preferably someone who lives in the area and has an iPhone.

I'm with Verizon currently, and their rural Valley coverage is ok, but spotty. Is AT&T's better or worse - especially off the Interstates and out of the small towns?

Thanks in advance
- Hopeful future iPhone user

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
In general, I've heard that Verizon has pretty good coverage in that area, while AT&T is a bit spottier. And of course you wouldn't get 3G data coverage on the iPhone, just the slower EDGE speeds.

That said, I don't have any direct experience with either carrier in the area, so I'm not much help.

(Love Lexington...my wife went to W&L and we were married in Lee Chapel last fall. :) )

surfer99

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2006
VA
I do not live out there but I am out there at least once a month for work and I never have any problems with coverage, although I do stay pretty close to 81 whenever I am in that area

PAH Mac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
In general, I've heard that Verizon has pretty good coverage in that area, while AT&T is a bit spottier. And of course you wouldn't get 3G data coverage on the iPhone, just the slower EDGE speeds.

That said, I don't have any direct experience with either carrier in the area, so I'm not much help.

(Love Lexington...my wife went to W&L and we were married in Lee Chapel last fall. :) )

Nice! '95 grad myself. I am dying to get back to lexington for a visit. Small world.

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
Class of '10 myself!! glad to hear about some other W&L mac users out there! I'm heading back to school tomorrow and can give you all an update of how my experience goes! :apple:

3kids

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2006
Not as good as Verizon in the area, but adequate. In the towns is fine, as is along the interstate. Rural coverage is non existant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.