Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
majordude
macrumors 68020

What is OS X Server good for?

Is this for hosting web sites or inter-office?
majordude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
Many things:
File sharing
Email
Chat
Directory Services
just to name a few.

There are MANY uses for a server. The school I work for uses servers for the above and database management. Look into this: Server Resources
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordude View Post
Is this for hosting web sites or inter-office?
I doubt I would use OS X server for hosting websites. OpenBSD is far better suited to tasks like that.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
I doubt I would use OS X server for hosting websites. OpenBSD is far better suited to tasks like that.
How's that? I find the Leopard web hosting tools incredibly powerful yet easy to use.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:35 AM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
How's that? I find the Leopard web hosting tools incredibly powerful yet easy to use.
That I think sums up why someone would use Mac OS X Server.

It's not the most cost effective web server, It does not use the least amount of electrical power and there is very little choice in hardware selection but if what you know is Mac OS X then this let's you use something you are familiar with.

As an office server if all or most of your desktop clients re macs then Mac OS X Server makes a lot of sense.

In terms of performance, scalability and cost effectiveness for a server that hosts web content or a large database it's hard to beat BSD or Solaris or Linux.

Personally I'd go nuts trying to figure out how to point and click my way around a GUI and just give up and edit some files in /etc myself. It's quicker
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:19 AM   #6
robertdb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
In terms of performance, scalability and cost effectiveness for a server that hosts web content or a large database it's hard to beat BSD or Solaris or Linux.

Personally I'd go nuts trying to figure out how to point and click my way around a GUI and just give up and edit some files in /etc myself. It's quicker
Mac OS X is based on BSD, and you can find all the configuration files you would like to edit.

I do fully agree that it's not the cheapest solution and for that reason would not know why anyone would choose an Apple machine as a server.
robertdb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:32 AM   #7
nick9191
macrumors 68040

A standard copy of Leopard comes with a full web server.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:56 AM   #8
semicharmed
macrumors regular

We're using an XServe and OS X Server as an access-controlled file share across (student) print media groups. Works beautifully with the Macs owned by the various media groups, lets us control read/write access across folders belonging to different groups.
It's also not too incredibly complicated to administer; we don't have a dedicated network admin (& haven't) and we're running along fine.
semicharmed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdb View Post
Mac OS X is based on BSD, and you can find all the configuration files you would like to edit.
Except it is missing some of the features that make BSD so great. Namely the pf firewall. I have a feeling Mac OS X uses the ipfw firewall which in comparison doesn't cut the mustard.
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:21 AM   #10
Sky Blue

It's very good for managing preferences and other OS X settings you want to control.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:08 AM   #11
hamsuplo
macrumors newbie

We use it for
Hosting Email through Kerio.
Apple desktop login authentication system, Kerberos . Active Directory Replacement
Samba file sharing.
Intranet Chat Server.
Hosting intranet pages.

Is it really necessary? No. You can probably do all this on a Mac Mini, iMac, Pro with the Unlimited Server License. Xserve is nice since its a 1U server platform, we bought it because it was pretty. Personally I think its overkill. A redhat, centos, ubuntu box running on a Dell PowerEdge would work just as well and much cheaper if you know what you are doing.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:40 PM   #12
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdb View Post
That was exactly my point. Mac OS X and BSD are roughly equivalent except that BSD is free (zero cost) can can run on either much less expensive hardware or much more powerful hardware. With mac OS X Server you pay a lot for the software and have very limited hardware selection. If you are going to edit files you loose any advantage mac OS X has over BSD.

The question was "what is Mac OS X Server good for?" if is good for people who want the nice Mac GUI on their server.

I'm used to and prefer the command line and to have the abilty to ssh into the server. For many uses Solaris, now that it is free and open source looks like it is best.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:39 PM   #13
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Many things:
File sharing
Email
Chat
Directory Services
just to name a few.

There are MANY uses for a server. The school I work for uses servers for the above and database management. Look into this: Server Resources
Maybe that's why Leopard's file sharing is flaky, Apple was trying to differentiate its products
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Consultant
macrumors G5

Did you check Apple's web site
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking