Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a
 
mattwolfmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Can I use Airport Express without ethernet?

At my work they already have wireless throughout the building, plus I have an ethernet cable in my office. Setting up my own wireless network is not allowed - it would be easily discovered. Can I plug this in the wall and just use it for wireless printing and wireless itunes?

In other words, can it communicate with my Macbook Pro without the ethernet cable? Will my "mini network" be viewable (not necessarily accessible) by those in the hallway searching for available networks?

Thanks!
__________________
There should be a sarcasm font.
mattwolfmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:42 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolfmatt View Post
At my work they already have wireless throughout the building, plus I have an ethernet cable in my office. Setting up my own wireless network is not allowed - it would be easily discovered. Can I plug this in the wall and just use it for wireless printing and wireless itunes?
Absolutely

Quote:
In other words, can it communicate with my Macbook Pro without the ethernet cable? Will my "mini network" be viewable (not necessarily accessible) by those in the hallway searching for available networks?
Thanks!
As a wireless network, it will be visible, but you can secure it so no one can access your network.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:29 AM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2008
You'll have to temporalrly plug in an ethernet cable to set things up.

Then just set the express to create a wireless network, once you have the wireless connection established, you can unplug the cable.

Or you can create a wireless network from you laptop, and have the express join that.

You'll may want to disable the ethernet port on the express, sometimes it gets cranky if it doesn't see a network. With the second option, it shouldn't be an issue that there is no cable plugged in.

I have one set to join my home network, so i have printing and music in a room that isn't wired.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Jacquesass
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
As a wireless network, it will be visible, but you can secure it so no one can access your network.
You could plug the Airport Express into the ethernet jack and then configure it to NOT broadcast its SSID - it wouldn't be easily visible to random computers that way.

Alternatively, you could plug it into the ethernet jack and turn the WiFi radio off - and then let it just serve AirTunes and printing to anyone on the main network.
Jacquesass is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airport Extreme/Express to Ethernet unplugme71 Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 3 Mar 13, 2014 12:04 PM
Airport express' ethernet connection problem Evildude683 Mac Peripherals 8 Aug 10, 2013 11:02 PM
Using an AirPort Express With an Ethernet Cord Frodoinc Mac Peripherals 2 Jan 23, 2013 07:36 PM
Airport express ethernet out? BigDukeSix Mac Peripherals 7 Oct 30, 2012 04:35 PM
Airport Express Ethernet HDD Tymmz Mac Peripherals 5 Jul 3, 2012 12:35 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC