Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Can I use Airport Express without ethernet?

At my work they already have wireless throughout the building, plus I have an ethernet cable in my office. Setting up my own wireless network is not allowed - it would be easily discovered. Can I plug this in the wall and just use it for wireless printing and wireless itunes?

In other words, can it communicate with my Macbook Pro without the ethernet cable? Will my "mini network" be viewable (not necessarily accessible) by those in the hallway searching for available networks?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:42 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolfmatt View Post
At my work they already have wireless throughout the building, plus I have an ethernet cable in my office. Setting up my own wireless network is not allowed - it would be easily discovered. Can I plug this in the wall and just use it for wireless printing and wireless itunes?
Absolutely

Quote:
In other words, can it communicate with my Macbook Pro without the ethernet cable? Will my "mini network" be viewable (not necessarily accessible) by those in the hallway searching for available networks?
Thanks!
As a wireless network, it will be visible, but you can secure it so no one can access your network.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:29 AM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

You'll have to temporalrly plug in an ethernet cable to set things up.

Then just set the express to create a wireless network, once you have the wireless connection established, you can unplug the cable.

Or you can create a wireless network from you laptop, and have the express join that.

You'll may want to disable the ethernet port on the express, sometimes it gets cranky if it doesn't see a network. With the second option, it shouldn't be an issue that there is no cable plugged in.

I have one set to join my home network, so i have printing and music in a room that isn't wired.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Jacquesass
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjstudios View Post
As a wireless network, it will be visible, but you can secure it so no one can access your network.
You could plug the Airport Express into the ethernet jack and then configure it to NOT broadcast its SSID - it wouldn't be easily visible to random computers that way.

Alternatively, you could plug it into the ethernet jack and turn the WiFi radio off - and then let it just serve AirTunes and printing to anyone on the main network.
Jacquesass is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals