Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaypee68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
My wife and I are going to have a baby in March, and we are looking for a way to use the built in iSight camera on my new aluminum 24" iMac so my wife's mom can see the baby once in a while when we can't make it over to their house, they live an hour away.

She has a laptop that runs Windows XP and is interested in getting a webcam for it, and I was wondering what you guys run for cross platform chatting? I know that Skype is an option, but I'm looking for a freebie here.

I know that iChat has a video option, but does it work with AIM being at the other end? Does AIM even support a video feed? Does Adium support video with other platform clients? What other solutions may be available? TIA.

jaypee68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
From what I saw Skype has a monthly subscription. How well does iChat work with other clients? What other clients support video chat?

NVM. I now see that Skype only charges for phone calls and dedicated phone numbers, not point to point video chat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.