Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I Can very well say, I am glad I got this phone. For now I can browse the Internet while we still have cellular service, but that won't last long. We probably won't have power for a few days, but at least I got a car charge and a iPhone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Glad you're OK!

Hope you get your power back on soon and that AT&T's network stays up and running for you. :)

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Glad you're OK!

thanks.

I never thought I would say this but thanks to AT&T I am to watch, listen and learn about the storms progress. Were currently under a trpoical storm warning, a flash flood warning, and a tornado warning.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
he could be in southwest florida. i'm in south florida, and we still have power (at least at our house). if the power goes off for an extended time, we're screwed since we have no reception t-mobile for cell phone service (just four more months of t-mobile). but there was a nasty tornado not too far from me that tore up the local area really good. it's mostly like an extended afternoon storm, with alot more rain and tornado warnings.

and btw, it's not a hurricane yet.

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I am located in north Dakota and want to make up a story about a hurricane so you could feel bad for me. J/k

Yes south Florida is where I reside. power just came back on but probably won't last.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I am located in north Dakota and want to make up a story about a hurricane so you could feel bad for me. J/k

Yes south Florida is where I reside. power just came back on but probably won't last.

east or west coast? i'm on the east coast myself. did you happen to see a tornado at all?

power has been stable most of the time, but it did flicker on and off a bit at around 2 am last night.

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I am actually on the east coast, didnt see the tornado thats about a 20 minute drive to that city. Power is on for now, but the likelihood of it staying on is slim.

The Hurricane Title sounded more catchy than T.S.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
Yep to bad it never reached Hurricane.. I have a video covering it.. To bad i feel asleep when the good video was suppose to be caught...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i usually like to complain about failure power and light, but they have done a decent job, power has mostly stayed on, and only flickered on/off a couple of times during the whole thing. but i heard about 1 million lost power, good job on that. i expect at least enough infrastructure to withstand a cat 1 or 2 without major power loss:mad:.

nice to hear from the other south florida macrumors members.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Glad to see your okay. I live in Florida also, I just took some pics and video. I will upload them later today. How do you upload video to the net and share it?

Don't mean to jack your thread. But yea, I hope we don't have anything huge.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
We did okay here in Naples, FL. Couple of brownouts where I live but it didn't stay off for any extended period of time. Things are pretty much back to normal here!

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Fort Myers here... Not bad at all, a walk in the park. Lost power for under an hour around 9 this morning, but al is back up and iphoens worked throughout the night. I went through andrew in 1992 and lost everything so it would take a lot to shake me up. Even Katrina on the florida side wasnt terrible. I prayed for those in lousiana though.

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
Ah I'm in North fort myers.. We didn't lose any power what so ever! So I'm happy with that.. I mean we do live RIGHT next to LCEC head corp...

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
for florida members: do you think fay was overhyped the past few days?

my response: YES! the local yokels on the news kept trying to hype this up as the next charlie or wilma as a major hurricane that was going to destroy everything, when in fact, it was just a very, very long afternoon shower around me at least (those of you who live here know what i mean). it was news, but they tried to blow it up as usual to make florida suffer (probably ny'ers that want to clear florida out and take over).

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL

my response: YES! the local yokels on the news kept trying to hype this up as the next charlie or wilma as a major hurricane that was going to destroy everything, when in fact, it was just a very, very long afternoon shower around me at least (those of you who live here know what i mean). it was news, but they tried to blow it up as usual to make florida suffer (probably ny'ers that want to clear florida out and take over).

I agree, I went out there and took some video with my Canon G9. I plain to post, they canceled local schools for this...

~Steven

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
Yeah I was very mad when they canceled school.... I was just getting into Freshman year! It was kinda good because i needed to write a freegin essay....

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
As I understand it, Fay is not taking the hint, and leaving.

Watch out when she gets into the Gulf.

Picture1-5.png

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

my response: YES! the local yokels on the news kept trying to hype this up as the next charlie or wilma as a major hurricane that was going to destroy everything, when in fact, it was just a very, very long afternoon shower around me at least (those of you who live here know what i mean). it was news, but they tried to blow it up as usual to make florida suffer (probably ny'ers that want to clear Florida out and take over).

I agree. Anything less than a class 3 hurricane is just a joke when it hitting. I grew up in Houston and we got hit my multiple tropical storms and OOOO big deal. Minus tropical storm Alison which was just a case of bad luck it is nothing more than a big thunderstorm.

Hell a class 1 or to hurricane is just a big storm. It is not even a major hurricane until class 3 any how. Like I have said anything less is just a big storm that brings MINOR flooding.

I currently am in Dallas and think the media is over hyping it big time. It seems to be the people who grew up on the coast know the truth and think of it as a joke. It is the people who never been in them who think they are bad...

in the end it just adds another reason why I think the news media is quickly becoming worthless and they no longer care what the truth is. They only care about making money.

apsterling

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I dunno what you're talking about but a two or three could cause serious flooding depending on the loation.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I dunno what you're talking about but a two or three could cause serious flooding depending on the loation.

we're mostly talking about how news media hypes up storms to be much worse than they actually are. we know flooding can occur even in a tropical storm depending on the area.

but if you believe the news media (local and national), tropical storm fey was going to do all this:

350px-Destruction_following_hurricane_andrew.jpg

this was from hurricane andrew btw, this sort of damage doesn't happen (at least in the coastal us) unless you're at cat 3 or higher. this is the point we are making.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well it seems this is the main point of interest as far as Fay is concerned--the rain--and we have plenty of it. Fay has parked herself pretty much directly over me--and this area--the area of Melbourne I live in has received over 25 inches of rain from Fay. And it is still raining...

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
It may have been overhyped but in these cases, I'll take over vs. under. Especially since it's been a few years since anything major has hit. Getting the word out and getting people alerted across the state was a good fire drill, if anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.