Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I have a 12" powerbook that is running 10.2 and want to upgrade it to Tiger. The problem is that the DVD drive is broken so I can't pop in my copy and install.

Is there any way for me to install it using a USB external hard drive?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have a 12" powerbook that is running 10.2 and want to upgrade it to Tiger. The problem is that the DVD drive is broken so I can't pop in my copy and install.

Is there any way for me to install it using a USB external hard drive?

You can get another Mac into target disk mode and use that as an external optical drive.

You can also restore the image onto a HD, and firewire boot from that.

Only intel macs support usb boot.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
You can get another Mac into target disk mode and use that as an external optical drive.

You can also restore the image onto a HD, and firewire boot from that.

Only intel macs support usb boot.

Well I have a Macbook with a DVD drive but I'm afraid that target disk mode won't work because it's from an Intel Mac to PPC. I'll give it a try though.

I don't understand what you mean by restoring the image onto the HD. Is that making a copy of the Tiger DVD on my Macbook and try to boot the macbook from that image?

You could also try to find a Firewire DVD drive (rare) or build one with a DVD drive and a Firewire to IDE adapter.

TEG

Yea, I'm trying to to invest more money into the powerbook. Just trying to get it to work with Tiger using what I have. Thanks for the input.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
Well I have a Macbook with a DVD drive but I'm afraid that target disk mode won't work because it's from an Intel Mac to PPC. I'll give it a try though.

It will work fine, but an you are installing from blank then you need to make sure you partition the drive as Apple Partition Map instead of GUID.
If you are just doing it as an upgrade then it will all just be ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.