Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Juno Blaster
macrumors newbie

Creating network between Macbook and Vista laptop for file sharing

Hi all, I've searched the forums and didn't find anything that would solve my issue, so decided to post in the hope that someone here would be kind enough to help.

I am trying to set up a wireless network between my Macbook and a Vista laptop (and which, when I know how to do this I can add another Vista laptop later on).

My network hardware is a Netgear DG834N router. I have applied fixed IP addresses to all separate MAC addresses as the router kept reassigning IP's and messing things up after powering down devices. So my next port of call after getting that sorted is to be able to transfer files to and from my Macbook to the PC.

I've already tried to set up sharing by following the advice on the Apple website (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8201.html) and have also made my Home folder a Shared Folder.

On the PC, I can see my Folders, but upon clicking them, Windows gives me this message:

"\\MAC**********\name\Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

Likewise, on my Mac in Finder I can see the folders on the PC but upon clicking a folder I get the message:

"You may need to enter a name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named 'iPhoto Library'." -- (when I'm trying to move iPhoto to my PC for example.)

I'm really confused about setting up a network. Does anyone have any advice, I feel like I'm falling at the final hurdle here since each computer is able to see the folders but has no permission. How can I remedy this?

Any advice would be HUGELY, GREATLY appreciated! Very MUCH!!!

Thanks,

Pete

----EDIT----

I found a resolution and got my pc and mac to share files. Seems I just needed to create a user account on the pc with my Mac user name and give folder permissions from there as well as adjust the permissions in Sharing on the Mac.

I found a GREAT link to help me, so will pass it on if anyone else is having trouble with Windows Vista file sharing with a Mac.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3022.html

Last edited by Juno Blaster; Aug 19, 2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Resolution Found
Juno Blaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help