Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
macrumors regular

iPod Nano Click Wheel & Buttons Not Working

My girlfriend has a 4 GB iPod Nano and all of a sudden the click wheel stopped working, buttons and scrolling. The only button that seems to work is the Hold button, everything else is unresponsive. She's on firmware 1.1.3 and I tried a restore, but nothing I've tried holding Menu and Select, however since none of the buttons work this does nothing. Any ideas?
Brett3rThanU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
nhb8150
macrumors newbie

I just started having exactly the same problem about 3 days ago and it is most frustrating. Any ideas or fixes from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!
nhb8150 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
announcer
macrumors newbie

same problem

i am facing the ssame situation for a while the only button working is hold button could you fix the problem??
announcer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:43 PM   #4
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

This happened to me too. It's not under warranty, should I try to take it apart?
SamIchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:44 PM   #5
cmooreou
macrumors member

what generation? first gen has a plastic front and chrome back, second gen is tall without video and a solid metal cover, third is short and fat with video, fourth is tall and with video

if its first, then I would take it apart since its the easiest, u probably need a new click wheel off ebay or ipodmods.com. if its a second, those are a bit harder to take apart but it is possible, with these you will need a whole new cover since the click wheel is attached to it. if its a third or fourth, i do not recommend trying to take it apart, it is very difficult and you will probably break it more, i'd sell it on ebay or craigslist as is for parts.

vids on youtube to take apart ipods
cmooreou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:38 AM   #6
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Mines second gen, and I just got it apart. Took a while, there's was one screw that I couldn't loosen with my phillips, so I bought some flatheads and got it out. Then this other screw I previously had no problem gettin out seems to be stuck. You could twist it but it wouldn't loosen or tighten I just pryed it apart and finally took it apart.

I dunno wat I'm goin to do with it now. If it's just the click wheel like the previous poster said, I think I just might have to buy a new one and sell this one for parts.

UPDATE:
took it apart, it seems like the connector to the click wheel was disconnected. So I pinched that back on and it worked. But after screwing with the headphone jack, I screwed up that cable, breaking the connection. Ahh, I thought I had it. I guess I'llbuy some parts off ebay now.

Last edited by SamIchi; Dec 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
SamIchi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod