Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What you have experienced are kernel panics. These are unrecoverable errors encountered by the Mac OS. I wouldn't be so sure you don't have any hardware problems - in my experience, 80+% of kernel panics, especially repeated panics like you're getting, are caused by hardware.

Have you run the Apple Hardware Test function on your Mac?
Have you run a program such as MemTest to make sure your RAM is functioning correctly?
Have you tried running a general hardware diagnostic with a program such as TechTool Pro - one you can boot from CD/DVD?
Have you booted from the Mac OS X install disc, run Disk Utility, and checked your disk for file system errors?

These are all things I would try, not necessarily in the order I listed them.

appledrone

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
I had similar problems with a g4 powerbook last year and it turned out to be the battery (even when plugged into the mains)

see if you can borrow a battery from someone and try it out

steveca

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
Malta
i used to have a powerbook g4 which showed some problems you mentioned above and turned to be the logic board... take care and make a good backup if you have important files over there...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thank you for the advice everyone it came in very handy :)

I ran the Apple Hardware Test and it returned with this single error code...

***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***

post / 012048SODIMM01 / J25 LOWER

***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***

Anyone help me out?
That means you have bad RAM. The offending chip is in the lower slot.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
yes, just unscrew the plate.
To remove the ram there are small clips on the edges of the RAM all you need to do is spread them out and the RAM will pop up. Then it is safe to remove.

Most RAM is covered under lifetime warranty from the manufacturer (with Apple RAM from the factory, that's usually Samsung or Micron from my experience) so you can probably contact Apple even if the powerbook is out of warranty, they should be able to either honor the manufacturer warranty, or point you in the direction of how to contact the manufacturer to get a replacement.

If the RAM that is bad is RAM you put in, then contact the manufacturer directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.