Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:57 AM   #1
J.D.M.
macrumors newbie

PowerBook G4: Chime, white screen, fails to boot up

Good evening,

Wow...what a wonderful time to start having problems with my Mac. I'm moving for college in the morning and I'm worried that my PowerBook is toast!!

So I was just there, using my computer, doing nothing out-of-the-ordinary. I decided to open up a program (Yahoo! Instant Messenger, I think it was) and the computer went nuts. I completely froze...nothing I tried worked. So I shut the computer down and tried rebooting it. It chimed and went to the white start-up screen with the apple...I let it sit for about ten minutes to let it restart. Still the white screen. I shut it down and tried it again. Same thing.

Is my computer dead? What might I be able to do to fix it? How much might it cost?

I really hope I won't have to buy a new computer. Thank you so much in advance for any advice you might be able to offer.
J.D.M. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:31 AM   #2
rolex54
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to rolex54
i would say the logic board is screwed, depending on how many GHz the machine is, a replacement would likely run around $400

You should try just resetting the power management unit(PMU) and VRAM, see if that helps for some reason

it shouldn't be the hard drive because you never got a folder icon or unhappy mac face
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:37 AM   #3
monkey86
macrumors 6502

have a look at this

Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:37 PM   #4
kitfox521
macrumors newbie

other solution.

it has nothing to do with the PMU or VRAM. it means the sector are bad. i had the same problem but when i tried to boot from a linux CD it was successful and when i looked at the hard drive on the linux CD it said the drive was unreadable due to bad sectors. try booting from the utility disk next time or run the command line and type /sbin/fsck -fy
kitfox521 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs