Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:12 AM   #1
walty
macrumors member

App Testing On IPhone Simulators of Other's

Hi All,

I am currently writing an IPhone program, and would like it to be tested by some beta testers.

I wonder, if it is possible send the already compiled app binary to others, and let others to play around the app using the SIMULATOR (not devices), without having the source code?

thx
walty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:38 AM   #2
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by walty View Post
Hi All,

I am currently writing an IPhone program, and would like it to be tested by some beta testers.

I wonder, if it is possible send the already compiled app binary to others, and let others to play around the app using the SIMULATOR (not devices), without having the source code?

thx
No

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3
firewood
macrumors 603

Yes, if they sign up for the free dev program and download the simulator.
You run the app in your simulator, and then email them the compiled app files left inside your simulator support directories.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:03 AM   #4
walty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
Yes, if they sign up for the free dev program and download the simulator.
You run the app in your simulator, and then email them the compiled app files left inside your simulator support directories.
Thx firewood.

I know users could download the simulators for free, but would you mind to elaborate a little more on "and then email them the compiled app files left inside your simulator support directories"

you mean:

1. I should copy the folder of simulator while it is running? And which folder should that be?

2. The user could trigger the simulator from the copied file directory, without using Xcode?

It would be great if you could give a little more hints on this

thx
Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:30 AM   #5
firewood
macrumors 603

Look inside your
~/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/User/Applications/
directory and see what happens inside this directory when you install and run apps using XCode, and also when you delete apps using the Simulator.

You can run the Simulator by itself (without starting XCode).

If you start the Simulator, delete an app, quit the Simulator, put back copies of the files that were deleted from the support directory, and restart the Simulator, the app will reappear in the Simulator. Email those files with instructions about how to copy them into the appropriate support directory.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:52 AM   #6
walty
macrumors member

Quote:
Look inside your
directory and see what happens inside this directory when you install and run apps using XCode, and also when you delete apps using the Simulator.

If you start the Simulator, delete an app, quit the Simulator, put back copies of the files that were deleted from the support directory, and restart the Simulator, the app will reappear in the Simulator. Email those files with instructions about how to copy them into the appropriate support directory.
Hi Firewood, thx a lot, you definitely helped me a lot. I would take a try soon and let you know the result.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 01:11 AM   #7
bob67322
Banned

May I have those binaries?

Can you give me the binaries?

Also, anyone here know how to get applications onto the "iPhone" (like Cube Runner)?

Last edited by bob67322; Mar 7, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
bob67322 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8
akrules
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Look inside your

This works!!... Thank you..
akrules is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:57 AM   #9
Troglodyte
macrumors member

Sorry, but this isn't really beta testing. All it will tell you is that you app works on a simulator. You need to test the app on real devices which means paying the fee and setting up ad-hoc distribution so your beta testers can run the app on their device.

People that buy the app from the app store won't be running it on the simulator.
Troglodyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:21 AM   #10
S Paleja
macrumors newbie

How can I deploy my xcode code on iPhone application without paying tto Apple store?

To deploy my code on iPhone, what should I do?
S Paleja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:38 AM   #11
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Paleja View Post
Pay Apple $99.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 05:42 PM   #12
esstudios
macrumors newbie

May 25th, 2011 Easy iPhone and iPad App Distribution

I do not know the programmer who made this program.

This great system on Kickstarter has only 9 days left to go. I think that it has a lot of potential beyond what is stated.

I really hope that more iPhone developers support as it could be used for testing.

You can find it here:

kickstarter.com/projects/154517594/easy-iphone-and-ipad-app-distribution-quickstart-a

Here's what Justin Cunningham has said about his project " for people that want to create internal websites that host iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad applications that are not distributed through the iTunes app store, either for beta testing or internal distribution.
esstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 06:29 PM   #13
xStep
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Paleja View Post
Apparently if you and your users are willing to jailbreak you devices you can bypass the App Store. I'm sure leads to this solution have been mentioned here often.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming