Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fans of the Jailbreak application ApolloIM should be pleased to hear that its developer Alex Schaefer has joined twenty08's MobileChat [$2.99, App Store] team.
Now with Alex working on our side, we believe that MobileChat will be able to rise up and regain its glory as the number one iPhone application that we all know it can be. He is a very talented developer (plus a great guy) who has already brought some great ideas to the table and we’re all very excited to see our new-found relationship grow.
Schaefer is said to be working to improve stability as well as the overall user experience for MobileChat.

MobileChat launched last week but has struggled to keep up with the demand leaving some users unsatisfied.

Article Link

coolb0yalex

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
why pay for free IMs?
i mean if it was like 99cents i would consider, but 3 dollars for a free app before seems to be a steep increase in pricing.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
why pay for free IMs?
i mean if it was like 99cents i would consider, but 3 dollars for a free app before seems to be a steep increase in pricing.

Eh, if it offers a truly seamless experience it might be worth it for the folks who use 2+ IM applications. If it also offered something in addition to what AIM offers, I'd be interested. :)

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
The app is getting much better and more stable... Cant wait for 100%!

how could the app POSSIBLY be any better or stable when 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 aren't even available yet. quit trying to pad the review for this non-working app.

the servers definitely arent any better as my msn randomly disconnects without even telling me. contact lists still don't refresh. i can't even tell whos online or offline. aim disconnects as soon as you close mobilechat. myriads of UI bugs that should have never made it into official release.

this is the worst app i have ever purchased.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Actually, he/she would be willing to pay 99 cents. So his issue is with paying $2 additional!! So, he/she has an issue with paying $2 friggin' dollars!! Just don't eat lunch for one day, and you'll have an app that you can use for one or two years. Stop being so cheap, people!! Otherwise you will have thousands of crappy free apps. People like to get paid for their work, and if you use their app, you should pay them! Just because it was free as an app for jailbroken phones doesn't mean that it will be free forever. And developers for apps for jailbroken phones asked for donations, and I donated to those whose apps I used. Some people are so cheap that it's sickening. You are getting something that will be useful to you and that will make your life easier. I don't think that the $2 is going to kill you.

Are you homeless? It's $3 friggin' dollars... it's cheaper than a meal at McDonald's.

striatic

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
while spending 3 dollars for a great IM client isn't an issue for me [heck, i'd pay at least 5] .. the fact that Palringo has put out a decent, free app that currently serves my needs is an issue.

it is difficult to justify paying any money when a free app is addressing your needs, especially when there are reports of instability in the paid app.

if the mobile chat app really takes IM on the iphone to the next level, i'd like to know how, because i've been trying to come up with reasons to purchase this thing since it was released and haven't been able to come up with anything.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
while spending 3 dollars for a great IM client isn't an issue for me [heck, i'd pay at least 5] .. the fact that Palringo has put out a decent, free app that currently serves my needs is an issue.

it is difficult to justify paying any money when a free app is addressing your needs, especially when there are reports of instability in the paid app.

if the mobile chat app really takes IM on the iphone to the next level, i'd like to know how, because i've been trying to come up with reasons to purchase this thing since it was released and haven't been able to come up with anything.

Provides Push via email or sms. You can choose to have it of course and all you do is put in your email address or phone number and it will email (best if you have push mail) or text you when you have a new message. This lets you use other things and easily know if you have a new message. That alone was worth it for me.

striatic

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Provides Push via email or sms. You can choose to have it of course and all you do is put in your email address or phone number and it will email (best if you have push mail) or text you when you have a new message. This lets you use other things and easily know if you have a new message. That alone was worth it for me.

yeah, but that's a hack that'll be replaced soon enough.

at any rate, sms costs money unnecessarily and email i have to check manually anyhow so i might as well just go to the app.

you end up paying for a stopgap that has its own penalties.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Palringo works great and I just don't see paying for an IM client BEFORE push is fully ready.

Key things I have learned from using Palringo:

1. I want it always on
2. I want to be able to call contacts when IM isn't cutting it
3. I want to send pics and docs to IM contacts
4. Would be nice not to sign up from some other service like I had to do with Palringo. Did it once and now don't notice it but all the same would be nice. Then again, if that is the difference between free or pay - I'll sign up thank you.

All that said, I really like and use Palringo

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007

Ditto.

It just plain doesn't work. I don't know how an app can get much worse than that.

I would ask for a refund, but I'm hoping the developers use that money to buy a clue.

palmerized

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
St Jacobs, ON, Canada
I would agree... I totally regret buying this application. It takes a long time to start up, the menus are very buggy, contact list doesn't refresh, chat windows sometimes don't show chats properly, etc...

I'd rather use Meebo via Safari...

I was very disappointed.

how could the app POSSIBLY be any better or stable when 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 aren't even available yet. quit trying to pad the review for this non-working app.

the servers definitely arent any better as my msn randomly disconnects without even telling me. contact lists still don't refresh. i can't even tell whos online or offline. aim disconnects as soon as you close mobilechat. myriads of UI bugs that should have never made it into official release.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
I bought 3 when it came out installed it
and tryied to use it 2 or 3 more times and stop trying
its still on my phone but do not use it.

I am a fan of adium on the mac and trillian on a pc.
I have accounts with a bunch of diffrent services and love somthing that will do it all in one. but the quility would still have to be as good or better then lets say the AIM app. Also the real reason i bought it was in hopes for Push.
and the fact they have plans in motion for this.

I still do not like that fact that my im's go though another server.
I do not care for my im's being logged some where.

the app it self for what i was able to see did not work well for me specificy
everytime i went on my buddy list always showed the same users.
i would then jump on a computer to double check it it did not match
always seemed frozen to me.

I hope this wasn't a waist of money and hope things take off with it.
as for people complaining about the price dame its 3 bucks.
For an application you would end up using more then any other.
I would pay more for a nicly pollished adium on the iphone with push.

but i see the 3 bucks as an investment in the company and hope the investment helps then get though the development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.