Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Closed Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:16 AM   #26
Arcesilaus264
macrumors newbie

Workflow Max

Workflow does look interesting, but I don't like the monthly fee, $15 for a single user ($180/year). If you think of using something for 2 or 3 years, you can buy a lot of other software for $360-$540. Merlin also looks good, but as someone said, pricey at $210. Billings3 is only $49.95 (or less), but I don't know if it will do everything I need. I have multiple projects (with several clients) and each project can take a month or more, with anywhere from 30 to 500 documents generated by me. I basically do everything, so there are no other designers etc. involved. At least there are a lot of repetitive tasks. If anyone has any other suggestions or a favourite for the kind of work I do, I would appreciate that very much, especially if there's just one tool rather than a whole bunch of things to deal with.
Cheers,
Arcesilaus264 is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:09 AM   #27
design-is
macrumors 65816

Not used it, but maybe check out Streamtime? Think that's more studio management though, and quite pricey.
design-is is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:18 AM   #28
johngrese
macrumors newbie

Billings / Daylite

I have been using Billings to create estimates, track my time spent on each section of projects, and create/track invoices. It is working pretty well.
In addition, I have downloaded "Daylite" to start to track my projects more closely. It has good task, contact, and business opportunity managers. It also allows you to take your business opportunity / project and export it to billings for time tracking. It is by 'marketcircle' which is the same developer as billings. They seem to integrate nicely. Daylite also has a nice interface. Both of these apps have very useful iphone apps.
Daylite takes a little set-up time and used to, but once everything is running smoothly, it seems like it will be very useful.
The thing that I really like about it so far is the ability to manage my business opportunities. This way, I can remember who i've already contacted, and then take the opportunities and turn them into projects.
Hope this helps.

Link to billings: http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/
Link to Daylite: http://www.marketcircle.com/daylite/
johngrese is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:24 AM   #29
tkingart
macrumors 6502

My vote goes to Billings.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:03 PM   #30
oblomow
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to oblomow
what about openproj? (google it)
oblomow is online now   0
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:52 PM   #31
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblomow View Post
what about openproj? (google it)
I'm using OpenProj right now on a short-term project spanning multiple work teams in 3 different countries. It WILL work but it has bugs. If all you need is to create a simple workplan, the bugs are manageable. But you will find the reporting features via the 'free' version to be woefully inadequate and buggy as well.

I'm not sure Serena is on top of things....half the time I try to access their Open Proj website for the more robust demonstration version, it hangs or bombs entirely.

Not my recommendation for professional, billable work. But its liveable as a small project planner.

I'm toying with buying Merlin. I still use MS Project in Parallels for the most part (only reason to really have Windows running on my Mac really...that and Visio). But if Merlin works as advertised, I may jump entirely to OSX apps for my business.
ReallyBigFeet is offline   0
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:48 AM   #32
oblomow
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to oblomow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
I'm using OpenProj right now on a short-term project spanning multiple work teams in 3 different countries. It WILL work but it has bugs. If all you need is to create a simple workplan, the bugs are manageable. But you will find the reporting features via the 'free' version to be woefully inadequate and buggy as well.

I'm not sure Serena is on top of things....half the time I try to access their Open Proj website for the more robust demonstration version, it hangs or bombs entirely.

Not my recommendation for professional, billable work. But its liveable as a small project planner.

I'm toying with buying Merlin. I still use MS Project in Parallels for the most part (only reason to really have Windows running on my Mac really...that and Visio). But if Merlin works as advertised, I may jump entirely to OSX apps for my business.
If you're planning on buying things, please have a look at omniplan. I have never used it, but I'm a big fan of OmniGraffle. And their support and update schedule is good.
(about freeware: I take it you have already looked at the ganttproject? I used it some time ago. It was slow then, but perhaps things have changed)
oblomow is online now   0
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:31 PM   #33
sugardrum
macrumors newbie

ClockingIT

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but I use clockingIT to keep track of the various web design projects I work on. It's a free web based app that includes multiple clients, projects, tasks and todo lists.

http://www.clockingit.com/

I also use Billings for invoicing and Things to keep track of minor todos.
sugardrum is offline   0
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:30 PM   #34
NXTMIKE
macrumors 6502

+1 for Billings. It has never let me down.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:32 PM   #35
netbeans
macrumors newbie

iTaskX

I'm using iTaskX. Great app. Tried using Merlin, OpenProj, and OmniPlan. After a while, I fallback to itaskX.
netbeans is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:02 AM   #36
ProjectManager
macrumors newbie

Project management software Fengoffice

Why a Project Manager choose Feng Office

The mission of Feng Office is “provide the best virtual office”. Feng Office is the main competitor of Google Apps. This article describes the advantages Feng Office has over Google Apps and other alternatives like Harvest or FreshBooks for hackers and other IT freelancers.

What are we doing in an IT office ? Mainly:

* tracking the time spent by hackers
* document management
* calendar management
* project management software
* granular access management

Time tracking

Google Apps has nothing cool for time tracking.

FreshBooks allows time tracking, but the only way to show it to the client is to make a detailed invoice.

If you just want to report 7 hours per day and bill monthly, Feng Office is the only solution.

In addition, Feng Office allows to create beautiful and detailed time reports which can be converted into bills.

Document management

Back before OpenOffice 3, Google Documents was the most performant document editor.

Nowadays, Google Documents is bloated, slow, and quite buggy. On the other hand, Open Office 3 starts in a matter of seconds on a common cheap netbook.

One will conclude that the best online document manager knows how to manage versions and permissions for documents edited with Open Office 3. And that’s exactly what Feng Office does.

Instead of sending documents versions and comments by email, Feng Office allows to track it all and manage locks and conflict.

I think you should try it.
ProjectManager is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:01 AM   #37
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManager View Post
I think you should try it.
I checked out the video tour and demo on the website. It looks cool, but I have a question about time tracking. It looks like it is still dependent upon the user to actually start, stop and manage their time logs. Is that the case? The solution that I'm really after is for a time log to be automatically generated depending on the tasks being performed and removing the user from having to remember to start/stop and switch clients. RescueTime – as far as I've seen – comes the closest to doing that so far.
citizenzen is offline   0
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:24 PM   #38
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Aside from a web interface, anybody have any suggestions of a Good Project Management Software that is cross platform compatible? IE Mac and Windows?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:29 AM   #39
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblomow View Post
If you're planning on buying things, please have a look at omniplan. I have never used it, but I'm a big fan of OmniGraffle. And their support and update schedule is good.
(about freeware: I take it you have already looked at the ganttproject? I used it some time ago. It was slow then, but perhaps things have changed)
I was using ganttproject to track one of my larger projects. It worked pretty well. I did very basic reporting with it and I put it on a computer that everyone had access to so everyone who needed to could add or subtract from the time line etc. It worked very well.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:12 AM   #40
fuzzybear2
macrumors newbie

I am looking for somthing to do my costings then turn it into a quote then email to client and then do the project managment through to invoicing.I am kitchen & bathroom installer I design sell & install as well as contract work for another studio who I also project manage their jobs as well.
Not asking for much I know
and it all needs to syn well with ical and be easy to use, I like the look of Daylite + billings or bento 3 so far has any one got any better sugestions?
fuzzybear2 is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:18 PM   #41
GurbZ
macrumors newbie

Jumsoft Relationship

Try Jumsoft Relationship: http://www.jumsoft.com/relationship/

It works well for what I do: contacts, projects, events, to do, mail, all very easy to link to each other. The iPhone version is free and rocks.

Grtz,

Gurbz
GurbZ is offline   0
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:04 PM   #42
ispeak656
macrumors newbie

Project Management Software

I find this article useful. It evaluates the project management software. http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...e-alternatives
ispeak656 is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2011, 01:04 PM   #43
cebritt
macrumors member

CreativePro Office 2 & Workamajig

Take a look at CreativePro Office 2. Pricing starts at $5 per month. I haven't used it but it looks good:

http://www.mycpohq.com/

Also, Workamajig looks interesting. It used to be called Creative Manager Pro:

http://www.workamajig.com
cebritt is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2011, 08:23 PM   #44
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeak656 View Post
I find this article useful. It evaluates the project management software. http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/...e-alternatives
Thanks for the link. Although it doesn't list some of the bigger players. IE MS Project.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:47 AM   #45
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisanderson07 View Post
Microsoft Project 2010.
Now I realize that not everybody at MacRumors is working on a Mac, but ...

Microsoft Project 2010 - Operating system: Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 3 (32-bit), Windows Vista with SP1, Windows Server 2003 SP2 and MSXML 6.0 (32 bit Office only), Windows Server 2008 or later (32-bit or 64-bit), Windows 7 operating systems.
citizenzen is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:20 AM   #46
Fireproof!
macrumors 6502a

Definitely check out Tom's Planner as well.

http://www.tomsplanner.com/

I own and have used OmniPlan, but don't use a fraction of the features (resource scheduling, etc) so Tom's Planner might work well for you.

I also use Basecamp with my team which works well for collaboration with others.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:02 PM   #47
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

I use good ol' iCal, Jira and Redmark they seem to work pretty well for me
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:01 AM   #48
PiotrPM
macrumors newbie

Hello!

For someone who needs a complicated project management software with Gantt charts support etc there is for example dotproject.net for free. For smaller project you can try, also for free (basic plan), projectino.com, what is more for online collaboration, personal project as well as for less complicated project in your company. Both softwares are SaaS, so you can use them with many people,wherever you want - only what you need is internet access.
I hope this info will be helpful for you.
PiotrPM is offline   0
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:00 PM   #49
strixstrigoi
macrumors newbie

Hi, I advise eTaskamn.com. It's convenient in term of instruction and place. I mean it's a FREE web-based and has non-complicated functionality. Due to my job, I rarely stay in the office so when I need to assign a project or task to my subordinate, I access this site wherever I am. You can try it too.
strixstrigoi is offline   0
Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:39 PM   #50
funkahdafi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabuyamac View Post
I'm a graphic designer with a wide variety of projects in web and print. What are some good project management programs that would work for what I do?

I'm finding it hard to keep tabs on all of my projects.
http://teamworkpm.net
funkahdafi is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics