Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1
macintoshxiii
macrumors regular

PowerBook G4 stuck with the grey screen and the finder logo and ? flashing!!!

Hi I owned this PBG4 for more than 2 years and everything is good until just now (an hour ago) it crashes I think!!!! I have my Adium stuck and so I force quit with Option+CMD+Esc then the color wheel appear for awhile too and nothing can be click, so I hold the power key and force the system to shut down... Now i try to start up again it won't boot up any more!!! The furtherest is able to see the Apple logo and the spin wheel then shortly it appear with the no entry sign with the spinning wheel going on! I've tried all methods I could online...(PRAM, hold Shift key etc...) Nothing can be done!!!!!! HELP PLS... I've got plenty important data inside and I haven't get a chance to back it up...
macintoshxiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:51 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Use the Disc and boot holding 'c'. Sounds like a file corruption or other problem. Use Disc Utility to try to repair everything.

TEG
Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:55 PM   #3
agentphish
macrumors 65816

Had similar happen, COULD be hard drive. I'd recommend finding another Mac, Booting to Target Disk Mode and connecting Via FireWire then get your data off it as fast as possible.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:38 AM   #4
macintoshxiii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentphish View Post
Had similar happen, COULD be hard drive. I'd recommend finding another Mac, Booting to Target Disk Mode and connecting Via FireWire then get your data off it as fast as possible.
Hi i really appreciate your suggestion, however how do I get this working??? Could you elaborate a little bit more in sequence? or steps? Plug in the firewire then rebboot holding onto the T key??? And what's next? do I need to reinstall my Leopard? or? Please advise thank you... i'm really at my wit end.... I either have a apple logo then become the "NO ENTRY" sign but still spinning or I will have a grey screen then the finder logo with the ? sign blinking non-stop.... My data are all inside!!!! Jesus!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:21 PM   #5
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Booting while holding "t" turns you computer into an external HD, so you have to connect it to another Mac, then access like it was an external HD.

You're better off just using the OS X Disc's Disk Utility to verify/repair the HD, and maybe reinstall OS X.

TEG
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:14 PM   #6
agentphish
macrumors 65816

Yes, I gree disk util is a great suggestion, but if he wants to back up FIRST, which I'd say is probably a good idea, he'd need Target Disk Mode.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 08:47 AM   #7
macintoshxiii
macrumors regular

Hi guys thank you again so much for your suggestion... I did Target Mode but my MacBook doesn't detect my PB at all and it seems like no other means I could back up my data.... I tried CMD+S too for single user and no respond as well! I'm devastated my goodness. It never happen for couple of years since the day I got it and now all of a sudden it just break out!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:55 PM   #8
macintoshxiii
macrumors regular

Apple Store claimed my HDD is dead.... any means to revive just to retrieve my precious data? Anyone? Removing the HDD and make it external can help??? Or any program? Software? etc? Anyone? Please help..... Thank you.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 02:00 PM   #9
agentphish
macrumors 65816

might try data rescue II, but not looking good if it wont boot in target disk mode. worth a shot though.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs