Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
My work bought me a new 17 inch laptop. I would like to upgrade its screen.
Is it possible to just take it to an apple store or something and have them install the upgraded screen?

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
well I also have a certified apple service center. Could I just get them to order the part and install the screen?
I just want the higher res and the led back lighting.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
well I also have a certified apple service center. Could I just get them to order the part and install the screen?
I just want the higher res and the led back lighting.

Apple will definitely not do it. However I'm not sure about third party. You're looking at a $800 upgrade FYI.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
really? it is only a 100 dollar upgrade on the system new..

Yes it's expensive for third-party services to do it. It is substantially cheaper to do the upgrading yourself, but I have no idea how it will done.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
hmm well I don't mind doing it myself I was just hoping to basically pay 100 bucks and get it upgraded heh.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
really other then the screen set I don't see the difference. it plugs in the same.
ah well.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
It's expensive because the high res and the low res version are esentially two different laptops, I'm not even sure if you can upgrade the screen.

Not really, they've got the same internal components, just different screens, so it is possible to have done. OP, this is certainly more than $100... think about it, $100 is the difference between the two screens on Apple's website and they certainly don't get the things for free and $100. A screen is an expensive part and when you throw in labor, it might be around that $800 mark.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
The cheapest way you might get it, if the MBP is really brand new, would be to see if it could be exchanged. Offer to pay the difference (which might include a restocking fee) to your work, and see if Apple (or whatever reseller it was purchased from) will do it.

Worth a try...

:apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.