Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider claims that iPod retailers are starting to get signals of an impending iPod refresh.

Target's iPod inventory has reportedly had a change in status from "Active" to "Discontinued" while UK retailer Argos is prepping to clear out their current iPod inventory in anticipation of the updates:
. A person familiar with the plans says the company recently took receipt of new point-of-sale displays promoting "price cuts" that should hit the retail floor during the last week of August or first week of September.
Apple is widely expected to release new iPods in September. Rumors have pointed to a new iPod Touch and iPod nano redesign.

Article Link

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese High Capacity Touch. 64GB minimum!!!! I want a touch, but it's got to be worth the money!

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I work at target and will check tomorrow to see if that is true. If it is then my iPod touch will be going up for sale!

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
Good, about D&£$!£$! Time too!

I've been drooling for a Nano for ages.... but if they change the design I'm jumping to go for a current model I think it's perfect in size.

Though I've heard that the Touch will not be different in design, only some moderate upgrades will take place. However the only note worthy thing to mention I think is the fact that NIKE will play a big part in this new update. I know a guy at Nike who says they've been told that the new iPods will be a major hit with runners. So I assume the Nike software will be a little more than just a plug and play thing. It seems that for once we might not need those things in our shoes! The Touch might be able to handle the steps on it's own if worn on your hips, and if this is any indication of any updated for the nano, I'm guessing it's going to be the same for them. Motion sensor in the nano to be more compatible with the Nike merger of the new software.

I can't confirm this, so take it as it is... Though I don't have a reason NOT to believe him cause he didn't seem that hyped about new iPods, but he did mention that the software written for the new Nike app, suggests some minor new modifications to the iPods.

Time will tell and I hope I'll like the new design. I love the current fatty iPods. :)

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese High Capacity Touch. 64GB minimum!!!! I want a touch, but it's got to be worth the money!

I think that a 64gb touch is a feasible option for the redesign. even if it isn't a redesign and just a capacity bump.

i also agree with the worth. i mean as a wifi-enabled internet tablet, the ipod touch is unmatched in its class (hear me, DIFFERENT class than the iphone!). but on the media player front, as many have previously mentioned, it is lacking. added capacity should keep it current.

that and volume control if steve jobs blesses our inferior selves ;)

justonemorethin

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
He Yah

So i work at an un named stapes location and we received a letter from apple telling us that we have received our last iPod supplies for this generation. our store got one of each of the iPods and our store is medium volume.

So listen up folks I would start using the word IMMANENT and IPOD INTRO.

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
So i work at an un named stapes location and we received a letter from apple telling us that we have received our last iPod supplies for this generation. our store got one of each of the iPods and our store is medium volume.

So listen up folks I would start using the word IMMANENT and IPOD INTRO.

by "stapes" do you mean staples? or some other store i am not familiar with. if it is staples, i checked online and apparently the only ipod you sell is the ipod nano, so how could you receive one ipod of each model? btw the ONLY source i have is the internet so i might be completely wrong.

also its imminent ;)

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I ordered the iPt on sept 5 2007(the beat goes on keynote day) and now have had both iPhones. I think the will make the wifi areial nicer and drop the 8gb. 64gb unlikely this year. I think volume buttons would be nice. No camera/gps/3G/speakers.

iPhoned

collegedu3

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
New MacBook Pro (or maybe MBP refurbished, depending on added value of redesign) and a nice touchy touchy given that higher capacities will sell at lower prices.

Current iPod Touch Promotion = savings in product refresh advances. :p

I'm hoping for a GPS equipped Touch.

OH GREAT! That'll be really useful when you leave your Wi-Fi equipped house. GPS requires extensive mapping software that'd take up some considerable room on the Touch. Not happening.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Costco also has extremely low quantities. I've been advising members to wait until late September to purchase an iPod. The last time our quantities were this low was right before the last refresh...

elpenguino

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2008
Florida
First iPhone comes in black and white.
Now iPod touch comes in black and white.

Simple. Brings it in line with the rest of the iPod line and also the iPhone.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2006
They were totally out of every iPod except the shuffle at both a local Target and Walmart. Thought it was kinda odd.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
I can see a gps equipped iPod Touch, in order to use location based apps and service as well as other gps apps...quite feasable.

justanothernerd

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
I can see a gps equipped iPod Touch, in order to use location based apps and service as well as other gps apps...quite feasable.

Um, I don't think so - the GPS on the iPhone is heavily dependent on there being intertubes where you are (aka, 3g/EDGE). Wifi is prevalent, but not the point that I think the GPS on the iPt would be so valuable...

Unless, they are going to put a radio in the iPt to use it for streaming music only. Maybe something with AT&T for like $10-15 a month and you can get some internets. Would go well with the patent from a few weeks ago about streaming media to mobile devices. Could be a cool idea for those that don't want/can't get an iPhone but want a little more out of their iPt.

justonemorethin

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Yah

Staples business depot. Your back to school location.
Yah our online store sucks but we carry all the iPod models.

My personal bet for the next gen is that apple will introduce larger cap touch models and replace the Nano with a smaller screened touch. Most likely the same capacity as the touches we have out now. Then as for the classics future im not sure:(

What you are going to want to look for in the new touches is one major new future at minimum. I would most likely bet side controls like the silver ones on iPhone 3gs. Or maybe GPS if we are lucky. Or how about bluetooth for Skype or other chat services. OH where apple could go with this

Aeris

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Which iPods stock is low?

Just curious, are the low inventory numbers hitting specific iPod models, or all of them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.