Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:53 AM   #1
fstfrwrd
macrumors regular

Connect AppleTV to old TV (no HDMI)

Hi, we've got an older TV that has no HDMI.

How do I connect my apple TV to it? (I've heard people got it to work properly, so can anyone help me out please?)

Thanks
fstfrwrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:08 AM   #2
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstfrwrd View Post
Hi, we've got an older TV that has no HDMI.

How do I connect my apple TV to it? (I've heard people got it to work properly, so can anyone help me out please?)

Thanks
What connections does it have? HDMI is not the only way to connect. Component works also.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:11 AM   #3
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to newappleboy
Component cables definitely work. I'm using them on my current TV (new TV in a couple months will finally have HDMI). There are more cords involved, but it definitely still works.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:25 AM   #4
fstfrwrd
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newappleboy View Post
Component cables definitely work. I'm using them on my current TV (new TV in a couple months will finally have HDMI). There are more cords involved, but it definitely still works.

I used those red-white-yellow thingies. the audio L & R are in the right place, and I put the yellow video cable in the green plug on the back of the aTV and now i get a black & white image ...

any way to solve this?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:30 AM   #5
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I used those red-white-yellow thingies. the audio L & R are in the right place, and I put the yellow video cable in the green plug on the back of the aTV and now i get a black & white image ...

any way to solve this?
Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to be sure. You may also want to check what settings the Apple TV is displaying on. Chances are your TV isn't HD, so if it's trying to display in that format it could definitely be a source of problems.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:30 AM   #6
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

any way to solve this?
You need a component cable, you are using a composite cable which only has 1 video connector- component has three.

You should see to the left of the green plug a blue and red also, all three need to be connected.

If your TV doesn't have a component hookup, I would suggest trying to find a converter of some sort that takes the three video plugs (red, blue, green ) and combines them into one (yellow) video plug.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Thom_Edwards
macrumors regular

Let me make sure I am understanding this... If my non-high definition TV has component connections, then tv will work? Also, assuming now it does work, does it have the normal "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen when showing wide-screen media?

I love the concept of the tv, but haven't found the need (or real desire) to get an HDTV--my Samsung square-screen is still doing just fine for my needs. I would love to get one, but haven't because all this time I thought it required an HDTV to work. Please tell me I am ignorant and I should go get one right now!
Thom_Edwards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:12 AM   #8
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom_Edwards View Post
Let me make sure I am understanding this... If my non-high definition TV has component connections, then tv will work? Also, assuming now it does work, does it have the normal "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen when showing wide-screen media?

I love the concept of the tv, but haven't found the need (or real desire) to get an HDTV--my Samsung square-screen is still doing just fine for my needs. I would love to get one, but haven't because all this time I thought it required an HDTV to work. Please tell me I am ignorant and I should go get one right now!
Yes, your non HDTV will work perfectly. I hate that one of the requirements of the Apple TV is listed as a widescreen TV because it just isn't true. I've been using my old school square TV for quite some time. Go for it.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Apple's spec page for the TV doesn't say that it can only be used with HD TVs (as is commonly believed), but it does say that the TV is only intended for use with widescreen TVs. It will work with non-widescreen TVs, but the image will be distorted as all output is formatted for widescreen. There is no video setting on the TV for standard aspect ratio (4:3) TVs. Some newer 4:3 TVs have a 'widescreen mode', but most people report poor image quality using this with their TVs.

As others have said, though, the TV only connects via HDMI or component video (Red, Green and Blue video connectors, plus red/white audio or optical audio, etc) it does not connect via composite (single yellow video connector, plus red/white audio). Unfortunately, I believe that adaptors that convert a component signal to composite are prohibitively expensive. If the OP's 'older' TV is non-widescreen and doesn't have component connections, the TV may not really be feasible without upgrading the TV.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:07 PM   #10
fstfrwrd
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
Apple's spec page for the TV doesn't say that it can only be used with HD TVs (as is commonly believed), but it does say that the TV is only intended for use with widescreen TVs. It will work with non-widescreen TVs, but the image will be distorted as all output is formatted for widescreen. There is no video setting on the TV for standard aspect ratio (4:3) TVs. Some newer 4:3 TVs have a 'widescreen mode', but most people report poor image quality using this with their TVs.

As others have said, though, the TV only connects via HDMI or component video (Red, Green and Blue video connectors, plus red/white audio or optical audio, etc) it does not connect via composite (single yellow video connector, plus red/white audio). Unfortunately, I believe that adaptors that convert a component signal to composite are prohibitively expensive. If the OP's 'older' TV is non-widescreen and doesn't have component connections, the TV may not really be feasible without upgrading the TV.
My 'older' TV is widescreen.
Can you give me a link of such a convertor?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:53 PM   #11
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My 'older' TV is widescreen.
Can you give me a link of such a convertor?
I'm surprised that your widescreen TV doesn't have component inputs, but I don't doubt you. Out of curiosity, what brand/model is it? At any rate, here's a link to a convertor. I wish I knew why they're so expensive!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 03:32 PM   #12
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
no....

Quote:

any way to solve this?
Dude, no. Component has red and white for audio, and red, green and blue for video.

Your red-white-yellow thingies are composite video/audio and are not compatible.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:13 PM   #13
fstfrwrd
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm surprised that your widescreen TV doesn't have component inputs, but I don't doubt you. Out of curiosity, what brand/model is it? At any rate, here's a link to a convertor. I wish I knew why they're so expensive!
It's a pretty old Bang&Olufsen
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:13 PM   #14
renninge
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Dude, no. Component has red and white for audio, and red, green and blue for video.

Your red-white-yellow thingies are composite video/audio and are not compatible.
Of course they are compatible with the Red/White/Yellow...
all you need to about $10 of HDMI/DVI adapters from ebay.
with the procedure described here: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/10/...-video-output/

I've been using my AppleTV (2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1) since January using this.
Works perfect. Only downside, everytime it reboots you need to do the 10sec procedure.
renninge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:54 PM   #15
emt1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by renninge View Post
Of course they are compatible with the Red/White/Yellow...
all you need to about $10 of HDMI/DVI adapters from ebay.
with the procedure described here: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/10/...-video-output/

I've been using my AppleTV (2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1) since January using this.
Works perfect. Only downside, everytime it reboots you need to do the 10sec procedure.
I can confirm this works (just did it). Used a HDMI to female-DVI adaptor. I had to short circuit pins 14 and 16 on the female side with a paper clip to get this to work.
emt1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:31 AM   #16
renninge
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1 View Post
I can confirm this works (just did it). Used a HDMI to female-DVI adaptor. I had to short circuit pins 14 and 16 on the female side with a paper clip to get this to work.
I never had to do paper clip anything, I got both a HDMI-DVI and DVI-VGA connector, cost about $10 total on ebay.

remember you have to do this everytime you reboot the Apple TV, so I'd rather stay away from paper clips...
renninge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Sipheren
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Sipheren
I havent been able to find out how to use the new AppleTV with my older TV, I only have Component, SCART, S-Video and Composite available.

Can someone link me to the cables I need as Google isn't turning anything up.

Thanks
Sipheren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:55 PM   #18
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
I havent been able to find out how to use the new AppleTV with my older TV, I only have Component, SCART, S-Video and Composite available.

Can someone link me to the cables I need as Google isn't turning anything up.

Thanks
I'm sorry to say this is the least expensive option I could find.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Sipheren
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Sipheren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
I'm sorry to say this is the least expensive option I could find.
Yeah I found those, I think it will be easier to just buy the old AppleTV, my TV doesnt support 1080p so should be fine.

Cheers
Sipheren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:29 AM   #20
Xandros
macrumors regular

I remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlhIexkjfuk

Might be the most cost effective, if "unofficial" method.
Xandros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:48 AM   #21
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:

any way to solve this?
Um, that is called composite cable. That yellow video cable cannot pass through an HD signal. Period.

As you've learned, it doesn't work on the ATV either. Here's why: you're only connecting it to one of three color channels it expects to receive. That's why your color is jacked up.

Does your TV have the red green and blue connections on it? If so, use that (it's called component video, and it does support HD signals).
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:57 AM   #22
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
It's a pretty old Bang&Olufsen
Buy a new TV and be done with it.

Especially with the analog sunset coming.

EVERYTHING will be HDMI anyway, because movie studios can do DRM through it.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:46 AM   #23
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Um, that is called composite cable. That yellow video cable cannot pass through an HD signal. Period.

As you've learned, it doesn't work on the ATV either. Here's why: you're only connecting it to one of three color channels it expects to receive. That's why your color is jacked up.

Does your TV have the red green and blue connections on it? If so, use that (it's called component video, and it does support HD signals).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Buy a new TV and be done with it.

Especially with the analog sunset coming.

EVERYTHING will be HDMI anyway, because movie studios can do DRM through it.
You may not have noticed that you're replying to posts that are over two years old. This is an old thread that was resurrected yesterday to address connecting the new TV to older TVs, now that the new one no longer supports component video.

Incidentally, just to clarify (and as stated above), the TV -- at least the old one -- does not require an HD TV, just a widescreen one; it can support 480 resolution. Also, there is a fairly simple hack (again, for the old one) that makes the TV output a composite signal from one of the three component connectors, and that signal can be carried by any RCA-RCA cable (such as the yellow one). This isn't possible on the new TV due to no component output. This is all addressed in previous posts on this thread.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:31 PM   #24
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You may not have noticed that you're replying to posts that are over two years old. This is an old thread that was resurrected yesterday to address connecting the new TV to older TVs, now that the new one no longer supports component video.

Incidentally, just to clarify (and as stated above), the TV -- at least the old one -- does not require an HD TV, just a widescreen one; it can support 480 resolution. Also, there is a fairly simple hack (again, for the old one) that makes the TV output a composite signal from one of the three component connectors, and that signal can be carried by any RCA-RCA cable (such as the yellow one). This isn't possible on the new TV due to no component output. This is all addressed in previous posts on this thread.
And I hate necroposting

Oy...

but, who wants to watch only SD on an ATV? Old OR new?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:14 PM   #25
colbyotte
macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I just bought the new Apple TV, but I dont have an HDMI port on my TV. I do have a DVI with 2 audio Jacks, Component, Composite video jacks.

What are my options?
colbyotte is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater