Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MachWerx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008

Hi! I wrote a little dice rolling app for the iPhone and, after submitting it a couple of weeks ago, it's finally made it onto the store.

I know, you're thinking, "What? Another dice roller? Why should I check this one out?" Well, for one thing, it actually features 3D versions of not just 6-sided dice, but all the other standard gaming dice. It also features a neat little virtual 3D display with the accelerometer.

Please check out "Mach Dice" on the iTunes store or watch the little demo video I put up on YouTube. Thanks!

Mach

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
looks quite nice actually. I know there were some people really interested in this sort of thing with arbitrarily sided dice.

arn

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
that use of the accelerometer to display it in 3d is HOT. I hope more apps come out stealing that idea.

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Cool ...

I play a lot of games that require different sized dice, and I've always borrowed someone else's because I didn't want to buy them (they aren't cheap). This is the perfect solution! Thank you!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What an awesome name!

Man, some parents are great at giving names... that's how you end up with people named

Impellitteri

and

Mach

... not mine.

And... I can see DnD fans enjoying your simulator a lot. Personally I'm content with random number generators.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Wow, the dice-rolling looks as good as MotionX's -- but with the added element of "3D viewing" once it's rolled, and a better response to how you're actually shaking. VERY cool!

It may not be as slick and polished as MotionX's, but it allows for a ton of customization of dice (the number of dice and how many sides at least -- though changing the LOOK of the dice would be cool too, if added in an update). I can't believe people are actually giving some negative reviews simply because there's the free MotionX version, when they clearly don't understand how much more advanced this is in terms of die customization. Morons! And why are people upset this is just a dollar? I actually think it could be more.

One thing I'd change is the input system for the dies. While it's probably the quickest way to get the dice you want, it's not the most intuitive or clear way to do it. I would prefer having a screen that had a set number of lines for each die, and each line was a scrolling dial segmented for each feature: number of dice, dice type, and then maybe another customization like color, and whatever else you might want to throw in. Have a button you press next to each line that locks your choices into place or something, and then you have it! With a more polished look, and a better input system, you could easily sell this for up to $4-5 and people would buy!

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Wow this is one of the best detailed apps I have seen. That 3D effect is spectacular! This would be a great app to replace those dice you've lost for board games, etc... Surely cheaper than the real thing!

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
How long do these iphone apps take to make?

I'm impressed by MachDice and Koi Pond but I'd like to know how many hours does this kind of work take - is it a month's work?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm impressed by MachDice and Koi Pond but I'd like to know how many hours does this kind of work take - is it a month's work?

This one... I'd say it took under 10 hours to make. I could be wrong though as I haven't done much programming myself for the iPhone... I haven't done anything 3D yet.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This one... I'd say it took under 10 hours to make. I could be wrong though as I haven't done much programming myself for the iPhone... I haven't done anything 3D yet.

Oh, I very much disagree with that estimate. Seems very low.

arn

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Great app! I love it. Bought Dicenomicon yesterday, which I also like, but I think you've got a much more fluid and natural roll.

Too bad 3 of the first 6 reviewers on the app store are idiots, since the free Motion X game is not at all the same (yours offers many more types of dice).

If I can make 2 suggestions? First, it's VERY sensitive. A slight tap of the phone and it re-rolls. Also, it would be great if we could create a set of dice (like 1d20, 2d6 and 1d8), give it a name, and have quick access. That would be great for gamers.

But thanks for the app! You did a great job.

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
That is such a brilliant application - so simple (not to undermine the work you've put into it), and so well executed. And a very fair price as well. I'd expect you'll make a good amount of money off it!

Asiancritic

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Great app.. but can you freeze dice?

In a game I want to play, I need to be able to "hold' dice and reroll the rest..

like I roll 6 6d dice and then hold the ones I want and reroll.. is that possible??

bubba451

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002

Well, you certainly sound like enough of an authority to speak on the matter :rolleyes:

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
In a game I want to play, I need to be able to "hold' dice and reroll the rest..

like I roll 6 6d dice and then hold the ones I want and reroll.. is that possible??

Good idea. Maybe you just "touch" one or more dice, and it "Locks" them, and marks them as locked while you shake the rest, then unlocks whenl you touch them again. Or something like that.

A nice app, and 99cents? I'll buy THAT for a Dollar!:D

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona

Ah yes, this would be another function that would be VERY useful. The MotionX app has spaces where you can put the 5 dice and re-roll the rest. Not sure how you could do that with this app, though, when there's the possibility for rolling 100 dice at once!! That's kind if insane, but kind of brilliant. Not sure when you'd ever need THAT much dice, but hey...there you go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.